2006 FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but because I just like to shift on my own, thank you..KM
Radio, Ion, I don't think your lessons are sinking in. Good critique on what the ECS is looking at. How long before someone figures out how to rewrite the s/w for wheelies?

- brownant

I don't think your lessons are sinking in
Clicking "Last Read" does get you to the end of the thread, however there may have been useful things written before this... So do ya think they read the history or just the last post?

How long before someone figures out how to rewrite the s/w for wheelies?
I trust (really, really hope) that Mama Yama hasn't neutered the FJR and the factory software will at least allow power lifts. Beyond that I am looking to Dynajet. If I can't let 'er rip full tilt at the track I will be seeking an alternative SPORT touring machine.

Alan

Congrats RADIOHOWIE

Your explanation of the shifting process should help some of the doubters. As another forum member said, this new farkle is being received by some the same as the Porsche front engine, water cooled cars and the very cool reception of the HD Vrod.

I give your info a big A+++, via this reply.

Thanks for the support, but what if I'm completely and totally full of shit?
:bleh: :bleh: :bleh:
Of this there is no doubt, rest assured...... :p But, ya ride, and a Feej at that, so there is some hope.

Radio, no big deal, we are all probably guilty of being full of it at one time or another, huh?? No big deal!! I had a chance to buy a mid 70s Porsche 911 many years ago and it had a similiar clutch system. you had no clutch pedal and you only touched the floor mounted gear lever to shift through all the gears. It was not sold for many years but it worked ok for many. The option was dropped as purists did not want it at that time. So through further engineering progess and develpment, many cars have a Tiptonic type unit, in fact my G-35 Infiniti(replacement for my very fast Porsche 86 951 Turbo which was destroyed in a fire) has the Nissan version of the Tiptonic and it works very slick. :bleh:

So Tdave, is the "98" yer age, speed limit, weight, IQ, or all the above? :D I hereby declare this "Make New Friends Nite " :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya'll wonder why YamaMamma sprung the high fah-looitng wonder tech EH clutch at the FeeJ first?

Geesh guyz an galz... no other rabid, sick, dedictated bike following has ever put so much high tech 'farkles' on their bikes as the FeeJ group..

You are what you do when no is looking.. You Farklke, YamaMamma notices and give you the ultimate farkle.

for me... no thanks, not yet. still like the farkel-less-mode..

The other perspective....

Geez why don't people get it, people don't always agree.

Why does this have to be said over and over, some people don't like the same stuff.

When do people realize that the FJR is not a race bike.

Why don't you understand, things like the vrod are not appealing.

Don't you get it, sometimes too much technology is not a good idea.

Why do you keep going on about this and YOUR opinion, trying to get your post count up ?

Opinions vary, if you don't like a clutch lever, buy the electric clutch.

There is no supreme being in here as far as knowledge.

If you think you are above the rest and know everything, you are a complacent moron.

Relax, this is the internet, welcome.

Ahhhh.... Is that a poem? :blink:

Sweet! I just raised my post count by one! Oh joyous day!! :haha:

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
The Electric Shifter on the FJR1300AE will be like the ABS option on the GL1800 after awhile. When I bought my GL1800/A 2.5 years ago, most people told me I was wasting my $1,000 on the ABS model. Now the majority of people I know buying a GL1800 wouldn't buy one unless it has ABS!

Best Regards,

Shane

Okay I can see some of you obviously feel that technology, any technology, is to be blindly embraced no matter what and anyone who doesn’t must be a Quaker at heart.

While you sit and ponder why Yamaha didn’t install power assisted fully linked brakes and get rid of that other pesky lever (after all, F1 cars only have one brake pedal, why would a motorcycle need more) and how to retro-fit the Gold Wing air bag onto your FJRs (its new technology so it must be a good thing) I’ll rant on why I think the E-Shift is a bad idea on an FJR.

Yes I would like it on my bike if 1) I were #2 in the AMA Super Bike series and trying to catch Matt M. or 2) I were a squid and thought that the size of my penis depended on my speed up the Angeles Crest Hwy.

I have hit oil on the road and only stayed up while my bike slid sideways is because I stood my bike up, aimed straight ahead (at the curb) and pulled in the clutch until I felt the tires bite again (My Son-In-Law lost control of his AWD Toyota following me).

I have had other situations where I hit slippery stuff and I think I may have fallen if I didn’t pull in the clutch.

I have had to stop at red lights on slippery steel plates in the rain and I trust my assessment of the traction in that situation better than a computer that may think I’m starting from a dry patch of asphalt.

I read SkooterG’s assessment that if you could ever ride on anything slippery you should be on a dual-sport, Due to road construction we have steel plates covered in dirt and mud in front of my work…… SkooterG…….. Should I sell my FJR or quit my job?

I see no advantage to having this system on a sport touring bike and lots of disadvantages.

I won’t even go into the “More things to go wrong aspect” because we all know that no racer (with a team of mechanics ready to completely tear apart his bike before every race) has ever had a problem with his electric shifter and there is no possibility of anyone ever getting stuck in the middle of nowhere at “O-Dark –Thirty” on a touring bike.

Lastly let me postulate this scenario;

Owner to Salesman: We have those FJR’s on the floor we bought under the mechanic’s names. You need to sell them NOW!

Salesman to Customer walking in the door: May I help you?

Customer: No thanks, just looking.

Salesman: We have financing.

Customer: Oh, money’s not a problem, I would love to have a bike but I can’t ride. I tried once on a friend’s bike and I crashed it. I can’t seem to get the hang of the clutch or brakes!

Salesman: Really... And money’s not a problem? … I have the perfect bike for you, These FJR’s have no clutch and the brakes are Anti-Lock and linked!

So while his widow and the little old lady he hit are busy forming NAMS (Nags Against Murder Scooters) and you are dreaming of the new 07’ FJR (Automatic Gyroscopic Balance and Two Button Controls, Just push green to go and red to stop) I’ll be struggling along having to exert all that mental strain using my hand and foot at the same time and physical force pulling in my clutch lever.

This was just a few things that went through my mind when I read the announcement.

Of course I could be wrong and this could be the best thing since tubeless tires (there is a first time for every thing) but I’ve seen engineers screw up before and I’m not going to blindly embrace this new gadget.

Roque,

Not saying you are wrong, but I seriously doubt Yamaha added the AE model on a whim.

Anyhow, the market will be the judge.

Best Regards,

Shane

Thanks for the support, but what if I'm completely and totally full of shit?
:bleh: :bleh: :bleh:
Then you're just like the rest of us!!! :D (notice the shit-eating grin...)

Geesh guyz an galz... no other rabid, sick, dedictated bike following has ever put so much high tech 'farkles' on their bikes as the FeeJ group..
Hah! This bunch ain't NOTHIN' compared to the FZ1OA crowd! There, you START with ripping out the carbs and re-jetting with either Ivan's or the HoleShot kit (Then you fight with everyone else about which is best. :blink: ) Follow that up IMMEDIATELY with cans or full exhaust, new windshield, sliders, lower or higher handlebars, hugger, and half the crowd saws off the rear fender for an undertail. Some of the things, like ThrottleMeisters, SignalMinders and PathBlazers went on the FJR ONLY because I had already field-tested them on the FZ1. And the number of things still WAITING for the FZ1 is filling my garage!

Even with the Wilbers and Spieglers I'm not sure I've been nearly as much into the farkles on the FJR as I have on the FZ1--and I'm not alone! That's because the FZ1 is a much better platform for alterations than the FJR. There's less body work, less bells and whistles and electronic doo-dads, and more room for to get to stuff. The ONLY thing that's harder is synching the carbs is harder than synching the FJR's TBs.

In the late 1970's when my buddy and I moved from dirt bikes to the street, we both agreed there were a few things you would never see on any motorcycle we owned. Things like a radiator, windshield, or any form of drive other than a chain. ;) Fast forward to this morning. Today I rode to my office on my water cooled, tupperware encased, shaft driven, computer controlled, fuel injected, catalytic converted, oxygen sensed motorcycle...WTF?? :blink: And, it gets worse. feeling cold? No problem, just turn up the heat to the grips and vest. Bored? Easy, I've got 1500 songs on my MP3. Lost?? No worries, the GPS always knows the way home. :lol: Hell, if the 1980 me walked in the door here right now, I'd have to kick my own ass just out of principle. :D

I've been working around new technology in the automotive industry for over 30 years now, and have not only come to embrace it, I've come to look forward to it. That isn't to say that it is always good, but one thing is for sure, you can count on the fact that it is going to keep on coming. And, the very technology that has enabled a manufacturer to bring a new idea to market in a fraction of the time it took 25 years ago, has also reduced the amount of initial "problems" with the product.

I like the idea of the AE, and am about 90% sure I am going to order one. However, although I know how it works, I want to know "HOW" it works. I drove a Hybrid vehicle as a company car for a few thousand miles a while back, and while it operated exactly as intended, I hated how the thing drove. I would really like to hear of someone, anyones, impression of the thing based on actually riding one. As for being the proverbial guinea pig, I'm probably the right guy for that. I feel fortunate to have a great dealer to work with in Sunnyside, (insert shameless plug) :lol: and seeing as how Yamaha put a new head on my '04 ticker, no questions asked, why would I think they would do any different on any issues that might come up with a new technology they were trying to get established in the marketplace?

There is no doubt that this isn't going to be for everyone, and certainly no judgments from me on those who already know it isn't for them. After almost 40 years of riding I have no way of knowing how I will REALLY react to trying to change such an ingrained part of operating a motorcycle, but untill I see or hear of something that tells me otherwise, I'm keeping my mind very open to the idea of trying it. :)

All of us, well almost all of us seniors know that change is difficult to accept for some. I fondly remember my first motorized 2 wheeler, a Whizzer and later mved up to a Cushman Eagle, side shifter and tractor seat. Later it was a Allstate Cruisaire. All of them had improvements of previous 2 wheel motorbikes. Later on came the Yamaha DT enduros, 75 YZ 250 monoshocks, XS 750s, XS 1100s, VStars, Royal Star, Royal Star Ventures. I have had all of these an some others including the Kawisaki KLR 650, Honda ST 1100 and lastly the 05 FJR set up for the purpose I wanted, LDRs.

Point is these guys of the 80s era just don't know how much engineering and technology has changed 2 wheel motorcycles. It will continue inspite of growling, grumbling and saying it just won't be worth a sxxt! I am going to enjoy my AE when received and I am lucky enough to keep my FJR 05 with 35k miles on it and then move over to the clutchleverless AE and enjoy the ride. Afterall, it has already been said that the FJR is not the race bike of the R1 nor the best touring bike. It is for this senior the best all around motorcycle I have ever had in my riding since 1955. Finally, I believe in live and let live, ride whatever floats your boat.