2007 Bag Liners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What year bike did you purchase?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the same form letter as FJRSteve. Certainly whatever the reality at the dealership, the root cause was resolved and our member will get those bags that we can all be certain will rip at the seams the first time he loads them up :rolleyes:

The problem is that we've seen altogether too many 'stealers' out there are the simple fact is that whether Motions is one of the good guys or not, we are ingrained to doubt the tale they tell when we KNOW what the truth must be.

My position has always been that it should have been treated by the dealer as an error on their part. Have we never heard the saying "the customer is always right"? I'm certain that he has sold more than ONE FJR, so he (or his staff) should have known about the liners. in any case you do NOT blow off a customer's complaint for ANY reason.

As was written, the liners showed up on the packing slip, so that answered the question of whether they should have been there. The fact is that they were either missing (in which case Yamaha owes the dealer a set of liners - hence the guffawing about him paying out of pocket) or they were truly removed from the bike - though I suppose the mechanic might have even glommed onto them for his own profit. I don't know. And it isn't the customer's problem.

What I DO know is that some dealers are great. Some dealers are 'so so' and others would need to climb the evolutionary scale to make it to lizard status.

Good business practice says that when a client takes issue with you you do not blow him off because not only do you lose HIM in a second, but one vocal unhappy client will offset bending over backwards to satisfy 99 happy ones. Happy customers don't crow your benefits, but UNHAPPY ones will tell all who listen how they got screwed.

Chrysler has lost at least 5 unit sales because of a local dealer's unethical behaviour - and they know it. All because the dealer messed up my car and refused to take responsability. Well, the judge made them pay - not for my profit, just re-imbursement for the damage they caused.

Was it worth the dealer losing the profit and service revenue from five sales when he wound up paying for what he did (plus interest)? Obviously not. But most dealers (and insurance companies) believe that we are all sheep. If they tell us to 'go away' 99% will. And it pays for them to behave this way because they wind up saving a fortune in claims payments. That 1 in 100 who takes them all the way to court is a lot cheaper than paying all 100 people what they do.

So we have thin skins when it comes to rip-offs. Too bad. Motions got what they deserved - whether it was $100, $1000 or $.01 the point is that they were wrong and handled it the wrong way. Now they are making good, but still messing with the truth.

I wonder how D&H would have handled this? I can guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished a lengthy little discussion with Tom Hodlick at Motions dealership in Marietta, GA.

I am now of the opinion we were all wrong about this gent, his dealership, and this situation.

He did call Yamaha to ask about the bags, he was told what he was told, and simply responded with the truth as he knew it. We here on the forum jumped the gun and make inaccurate conclusions primarily because we know better regarding the soft bag issue, and partially (I feel) because the answer wasn't the one we wanted (or expected) to hear from him.

This man is not a thief or a crook, and he is not trying to hoodwink anyone. I asked him the point blank question: "What do you think the soft bags were not in the hard cases"? His response?

"I don't know the specific reason. I can't explain it. But I can tell you that it is not uncommon for items to be missing when the crate is opened. It happens. These things are packed by humans, and humans sometimes make mistakes. We have unpacked crates from all four big Japanese manufacturers to find items to be missing.... bags of assembly hardware, batteries, sometimes even bodywork panels. Warranty claims have to be filed in these instances, and they can take 4-6 weeks to process. We obviously don't want our customer to wait for this claims process to work out, so we bought the bags for him, and we'll replace the inventory when the warranty claim is processed."

I believe him. I listened closely to the sound and tenor of his voice. He is not just pulling words out of his butt.... he is sincere.

Closing this thread. And I will start another....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.