2007 FJR lost life with a ladder at 106K

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichMauri

Reaction score
My lovely Black cherry FJR, a daily commuter and friend, and paid for, has passed at age 106K

We were returning home from work , at mile 60/75 on CA highway 4 EB, just past dusk.

Carpool lane, in typical heavy traffic around the speed limit, I suddenly spotted a big

ass ladder that the car in front hopped over.

I didn't have time to avoid it, so I got up on the pegs and went straight over it.

Thanks to the angels and CR500 skills, it was not yet my time.

I pulled over with smoke pouring out and a red light on, and coasted to a stop.

A 911 call, a cry, a tow truck transfer, an insurance claim and now her she is totalled.

I'm awaiting the settlement, and I'm not sure I want to risk the craigslist or go go in more debt.

Be safe out there.

OUCH! Hwy 4 is a classic "blood ally" in the valley and Bay Area. With the traffic on that road, its good that you were able to stay upright. Is it just the engine crankcase, or are fairings, exhaust and wheels involved as well?

BTW congrats on post #9 in nearly six years! :clapping:

P.S. No need for Craigslist, just watch the sales ads here. There are some exceptional deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the damage to your bike - but good job on riding through that situation. Did the ladder get into the bottom of the motor? FYI, I've got a '09 I'm parting out and the motor is available...

WOW,good job of riding it through.

And your right it was just not your time,of which I'm a firm believer of.

Craigslist is loaded with FJR's all years.

Good Luck

Sorry about your bike and glad to hear you came through upright. It's a shame that we have to share the roads with brain dead creatures that won't secure their loads properly. Last year, my family and I were headed to the Outer Banks (we were in the cage, of course) and some asshole past me doing about 90 pulling a trailer full of shit that had a ladder cantilevered off the back of the trailer hanging on by the last 2 inches of ladder. One more bump and the ladder was going to be on the road. I tried to catch up to him but luckily someone must have caught his attention because he pulled over. There must be some test we can devise to weed these people out.

Carpool lane, in typical heavy traffic around the speed limit, I suddenly spotted a big

I didn't have time to avoid it, so I got up on the pegs and went straight over it.

glad you're ok. like my daughter (who spun out her car, crossed the interstate median and the oncoming lanes of (light) traffic, and came to rest in the bar ditch on the other side of the high - when the car in front of her swerved to avoid a tire and rim laying in their lane) i suspect everyone will be pissed off at me for stating the obvious that lack of time to react means someone was following too close for conditions.

glad you're ok. like my daughter (who spun out her car, crossed the interstate median and the oncoming lanes of (light) traffic, and came to rest in the bar ditch on the other side of the high - when the car in front of her swerved to avoid a tire and rim laying in their lane) i suspect everyone will be pissed off at me for stating the obvious that lack of time to react means someone was following too close for conditions.
Salt, meet wound. Wound, this is salt :rolleyes:

Heavily trafficked corridors it's almost impossible to have 'reaction time', at least that's been my experience. You leave a nice gap and 3 cars consume it.

I liked the 'CR500' skills. Still my favorite 2-stroke of all time.

Also, let's not forget that the standard 2 second following distance allows for your reaction time and stopping distance and difference in deceleration rates for when the car in front of you slams on their brakes. This does not allow for time to stop for a non-moving object. You can NOT bring your bike down from highway speed to stopped in two seconds counting reaction time.

Guess what? I also found out that this isn't enough time when the vehicle in front of you slams into a pretty much stopped vehicle thus stopping the vehicle in front of you immediately. Fortunately for me I spotted the A-hole in stopped traffic making his move over into the HOV lane in front of the car in front of me and had already started decelerating when the car in front of me started smoking tires and slammed into the back of the truck. Even with me starting ahead of time there was barely room to come to a stop. And yea, just over a year later, I gave my statement to the insurance company the other day. Dude in the truck is fighting it...company vehicle, guess he didn't want to lose his job over his stupidity.

I was behind a goldwing on the HOV here one day and both of us had to dodge a ladder laying in the lane. Double puckers!

On our busy CA highways it's just not possible to maintain sufficient distance. If you hang back the prescribed distance, someone will immediately pull into the available space.

On our busy CA highways it's just not possible to maintain sufficient distance. If you hang back the prescribed distance, someone will immediately pull into the available space.
+1

Think we all experience this, Houston traffic, Dalls, New York, Miami... etc Especially during rush hours.

Have to ask, anyone in this thread willing to comment on when the last time was they practiced Emergency Swerving?

I ask because I have to practice it all the time, because we teach it in the BRC and ERC. The point is that emergency braking and swerving are learned skills, not innate. If we don't practice them our ability to do them will diminish over time.

Don't mean to imply the OP could have swerved out of the way, I wasn't there, so don't know. And it's great yer okay after something like that.

But if there's anything I've learned after being an MSF instructor for 7 years, Emergency Braking and Swerving should not be taken for granted. Ya just never know when u might need to be right at the tip top of those skills.

Thanks for all the nice words!

I'll keep you posted on the Damage list once I hear back from the insurance.

Regarding following too close; I had to balance the lunatics behind me and the cages trying to come into the carpool

lane from a dead stop. I honestly think, in this situation, I was better off not swerving and taking it head on like a day

at the off road park.

I'd love to have another FJR, especially the 2013, but I will not allow myself to get into more debt.

I am trying hard to move towards a positive cash flow, and adding more interest on top is the wrong direction.

My family is a little frustrated with me because I keep mentioning my poor bike, without mentioning how

happy I am to be alive. Honestly, I've racked up so so many years of daily riding, street and dirt,,

that I feel safer on a bike. It's like I am boxed in, when in a car....

I have to resist countering my oldest son's request that I stop street riding, with the "With all do respect,

joining the USMC with an infantry MOS is not safe either". I Won't say that to him, as I am very proud,

I hope and expect my family to respect each of our persnal decisions.

Finally, sorry I've been not keeping in touch with the group here.

I'll report back as soon as I hear more.

Rich

I am glad you came out OK, I am sorry as can be over the loss of your motorcycle. I find it interesting that the family always wants What is Best For You, while at the same time not really caring about What Makes You Happy. Every motorcycle accident I have ever been close to whether dirt or street, the downed rider always expresses concern over the motorcycle. They always ask "How bad is my bike?". Non-riders don't understand this, therefore they don't understand us. I am not going to armchair quarterback your accident, I wasn't there and I can relate to how quickly any gap you try to leave in traffic gets filled in. I will say that sometimes a positive cash flow is not a fair replacement for a high quality motorcycle. Do what you think is best, and good luck.

Rich, glad no one was hurt and bikes can be replaced. Though I have the better blue on my 06 I always liked the 07 color as well. I read in your other post you wouldn't go into debt to buy another bike and I might add this is a smart move. My wife and I completed the Dave Ramsey program and in about six months we will be debt free with the exception of our home and we plan to have it paid off soon.

There are lot's of FJR's out there and if the insurance makes up some difference you just might pick up a nice one for cash. Good luck in getting back in the saddle soon. P.M. ;)