• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2007 SUSPENSION GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were shipping your forks, would it make sense to save money on the shipping price to drain them of oil first?

If you were shipping your forks, would it make sense to save money on the shipping price to drain them of oil first?
Again, try the UPS calculator and change between something like 30 and 31 pounds and make a personal judgement. I doubt 1 pound is going to be worth it to anybody thinking about many hundreds of dollars of work.

Thank You very much Mr GP!
That puts r/t shipping with a declared value of $2500 at $132 for me.

I just had no idea of the weight of the suspension components, but the 10% quip kinda made me think I was way off.

Thanks for this opportunity WC!

Mark.
All right, here's the low down, I logged into the UPS computer at work and entered zip code from 97045 our zip code, to 08322 Franklinville NJ, included $2,000.00 of insurance, 36x10x10 box, 32 lbs, shipping to a residence, cost for ground freight is $45.25. Not sure where the high cost are coming from but this is what it will cost to ship back. Shipping from the ups stores, or mail box etc places charge extra to ship. It's usually about 50% higher than going o a UPS hub and ship from there. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
December 2 update:

Fork Upgrades: 25

Penske: 10

Ohlins: 3

Wilbers rebuilds: 11

Eibach forks springs: 9

There are eight days remaining on this Group Buy.

I made a full suspension purchase just before EOM in September. Traxxion Dynamics up front, and the Penske 8983 in the back. The kit came with a mounting bracket for the reservoir, but it's not quite as slick as the GP suspension. I have the hose clamp mounting system covered with that awesome self sticking silicone tape, but I think the GP bracket is a bit nicer to look at.

All the the shocks I've seen with the GP bracket have reservoir on the right side of the bike. When I installed my Traxxioin mounting hardware, I set it to the left side.

Will the GP bracket mount on either side?

I see the ring can be flipped, but those holes are in a pattern that makes me wonder about symmetry.

GP-FJ1300PENSKEResMount1.JPG

GP-FJ1300PENSKEResMount2.JPG

Warchild,
Out of curiosity, do you have a breakdown on number of each Penske shock chosen?
Not off-hand, but I do know the 8387 model is heavily favored.

I'll let GP Suspension confirm this, but I *seem* to recall one side is for the Gen I's, the other for Gen II's. Maybe. :unsure:

I'll let GP Suspension confirm this, but I *seem* to recall one side is for the Gen I's, the other for Gen II's. Maybe. :unsure:
Correct. the bracket is drilled for both Gens.. The hole spacing is diff between the years, not between the sides.

Tom, after looking at mine, you should be able to mount on either side, just flip the bracket. If not, no big deal to fish the reservoir through to the other side*.

*provided there is enough leader to do so, otherwise you would have to flip the shock in its mount holes. Again, not that big a deal.

Thank You very much Mr GP!
That puts r/t shipping with a declared value of $2500 at $132 for me.

I just had no idea of the weight of the suspension components, but the 10% quip kinda made me think I was way off.

Thanks for this opportunity WC!

Mark.
All right, here's the low down, I logged into the UPS computer at work and entered zip code from 97045 our zip code, to 08322 Franklinville NJ, included $2,000.00 of insurance, 36x10x10 box, 32 lbs, shipping to a residence, cost for ground freight is $45.25. Not sure where the high cost are coming from but this is what it will cost to ship back. Shipping from the ups stores, or mail box etc places charge extra to ship. It's usually about 50% higher than going o a UPS hub and ship from there. Hope this helps.
The diff in qoutes is prob due to you having an account and a frequent shipper discount, vs a 1 timer over the counter paying full rate.

Are there any motorcycle suspension places on the east coast that anyone knows of? Theres no chance I can install these things on my own and driving to Oregon isnt happening. Just trying to figure out how i would get it installed.
Find a dealer/service you trust. Then get a quote for doing the work and hold them to it. I've been doing business with a Honda/Kawaski dealer here in GA for years and they do the work on my FJR also. I just ordered online front and rear tires and the Penske shock for the rear. My dealer installed the tires, rear suspension and lubed the drive splines for $100.

Last week I took the FJR to a closer Yamaha dealer for ECU recall and they quoted $250 to install tires and rear shock (likely par for the course).

Steve

Tom, after looking at mine, you should be able to mount on either side, just flip the bracket. If not, no big deal to fish the reservoir through to the other side*.

*provided there is enough leader to do so, otherwise you would have to flip the shock in its mount holes. Again, not that big a deal.
eh... yea, not that big a deal, but it would be a much smaller deal if it can mount on the left. <_<

I guess I can just buy it and find out for myself.

eh... yea, not that big a deal, but it would be a much smaller deal if it can mount on the left. <_<

I guess I can just buy it and find out for myself.
You need a trip south. get the thing and I'll put in on for ya.- no matter what it takes. I've been dyin to use my rescue saw.

I've just order a Penske and am now thinking about the front. Advice, please? On a 2006AE, 4500 miles, mostly LA freeway riding, would just the new springs make a significant difference?

30 NOV Update: Penske: 10
Speaking of Penske shocks..... the following message is for those 10 (current) signups for a Penske:[SIZE=14pt]CHECK YOUR EMAIL INBOX FOR CRITICAL INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]and respond accordingly, please!Thanks! B)
I signed up for a Penske, but I don't see anything in my Inbox.

You prolly won't until the 10th or shortly after. You should have received a confirmation email for signing up, though. If you didn't, you failed to input your info correctly, or WC's dog ate your sign-up sheet.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough about this.

Look at the date of that request - 5 days ago.

In my haste to get the GB going, I failed to provide a method to distinguish *which* Penske shock desired by those ordering a Penske: the classic Model #8983 shock, or the uber-high-end Penske Model #8987 Triple Adjustable shock.

This has been fixed now on the website sign-up form, but 5 days ago, I needed to know (from those 10 folks at the time who had ordered a Penske) which particular model they, so I could update the database for GP Suspension.

Everyone who ordered after that date are already good-to-go, as the signup form now has the ability to distinguish the desired model shock.

No worries, Palerider, you're good....

Master,

Will the Penske fit on '08? (I am trying to swing an upgrade from an '04A, maybe...) But it would be nice to have the option to take that investment with me.

No transfer for the Ohlins I believe you said?

Are the front forks the same?

Thanks,

Bruce

Will the Penske fit on '08?
It is likely problematic to assume it does, until such time as one can be examined. Historically, Yamaha will change shit and you won't really know it until the bike arrives.

Remember, it's (allegedly) a new ABS system for 2008 bikes, so it would be prudent to not assume anything until the bike is available for inspection and measuring.

No transfer for the Ohlins I believe you said?
Correct. No Ohlins for Gen II bikes yet.

Are the front forks the same?
Some amount of new internals on the Gen II forks, IIRC, but nothing that GPSuspension hasn't already handled.

You prolly won't until the 10th or shortly after. You should have received a confirmation email for signing up, though. If you didn't, you failed to input your info correctly, or WC's dog ate your sign-up sheet.
I am now thinking about the front. Advice, please? On a 2006AE, 4500 miles, mostly LA freeway riding, would just the new springs make a significant difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.