2007 Volcano Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add one more to the list. With that forecast how could I resist, even with the distance.

Craig

Any riders from the Portland area heading into this area Sat AM? I am meeting a friend over by the airport around 9 AM. We are taking Hwy 14 East to Carson and then Hwy 30 & 25 up to Windy Ridge or if not open up to Randle and back. Any one wanting to join up is totally welcome!Ralph

503-816-1201

Time sounds about right. I'd like to tag up with you near PDX. Where should I look for you at 9AM?

27Man

Dave

This ride sounds interesting, where is the meet point windy ridge located, is it on road NF25, just got back from a two day ride into central and eastern Oregon, absolutely awesome roads :yahoo: so I'm ready for another ride,,maybe see you all there,,,,,,Lee

What did we find at St Helens...Yep, a closed gate. Didn't matter though, there was a great turn out from folks all over the northwest. Temps were chilly, heading over White Pass in the AM we were in the mid 40's with a threat of rain. Fog and mist was laying down over the mountains blocking the (needed, wanted?) warmth of the sun...Thanks goodness for the big Cee Bailey :D The morning did have a great start. Met IronMaiden and Tobie at the local choke and puke in Naches for breakfast and started from there.

This winter was not kind to the roads. NF25 was a mess with slide areas, gravel and enough bumps to fit a dual sport. The Sno-Park area at the 25-99 tee was a good meeting place since the gates were closed. Plenty of space to spread out to meet and greet. Couple of pics at different times. We had a lot of folks coming and going, don't know if anyone got an accurate count of the total bikes. All years were represented, pretty cool...

StHelensResize1.jpg

From another angle.

StHelensResize2.jpg

No other pics. Hopefully some other folks will post'em up.

The ride back to the dry side of the state was uneventful. Caught a little bit of rain heading to the gorge and mucho wind at Goldendale. The Klickitat river canyon was a treat, plenty of fast sweepers, clean roads and no traffic. Thanks Tobie!

Thanks to Ken for setting up the meet. Maybe a couple weeks later next year?

George

What did we find at St Helens...Yep, a closed gate. Didn't matter though, there was a great turn out from folks all over the northwest. Temps were chilly, heading over White Pass in the AM we were in the mid 40's with a threat of rain. Fog and mist was laying down over the mountains blocking the (needed, wanted?) warmth of the sun...Thanks goodness for the big Cee Bailey :D The morning did have a great start. Met IronMaiden and Tobie at the local choke and puke in Naches for breakfast and started from there.
This winter was not kind to the roads. NF25 was a mess with slide areas, gravel and enough bumps to fit a dual sport. The Sno-Park area at the 25-99 tee was a good meeting place since the gates were closed. Plenty of space to spread out to meet and greet. Couple of pics at different times. We had a lot of folks coming and going, don't know if anyone got an accurate count of the total bikes. All years were represented, pretty cool...

No other pics. Hopefully some other folks will post'em up.

The ride back to the dry side of the state was uneventful. Caught a little bit of rain heading to the gorge and mucho wind at Goldendale. The Klickitat river canyon was a treat, plenty of fast sweepers, clean roads and no traffic. Thanks Tobie!

Thanks to Ken for setting up the meet. Maybe a couple weeks later next year?

George
George,

Sorry I missed you on the way out. I was keeping Lisa in the rear view, just in case, I'm like that. I stopped to pick up a head piece laying on the road (rider's lower neoprene face cover and fleece over the head cover, then lost it and went back to get it again. Maybe one of you guys lost it? I also got stopped by LEO just before I got to McClellan View Point. :angry2: Just a warning though. :yahoo: 70/45 but really 80/45 trying to catch you. Hey, I had a great time and it was nice to say hi to some of you I've met before and to be introduced to those I met for the first time.

Meadow Creek was all wet so I only did it once. Came home and worked on Sandy's Virago. Glad you had a good time.

Ken

The fleece piece might be Tobie's, he was wearing something like that on the ride up. I got lucky with the two LEOs, at both passes I was slowed down for corners and well within the limits. (Though I probably had them primed and ready looking for you! :unsure: ) Had they passed me either sooner or later I would have been doing the same 70/45...Roads were a bit wet down the mountain, but still a fun ride. Maybe next year.

--G

great ride. Thanks to all for making a new guy feel welcome. More thanks to Mike and Tom for allowing me to tag along. And to Ken for giving me a tour of his bike - I will be installing the fuse block for farkles to come. Oh, I made a three day trip out of it for a total of about 850 miles.

BBQ

The fleece piece might be Tobie's, he was wearing something like that on the ride up. --G
Not ours, saw it laying in the road when I came down (last!) Thanks for keeping me in view, Ken...I'm a slow poke in twisty/ crappy roads. Heck, I'm just plain slow in twistys. Tobie usually stops and waits or slows down once he's done playing & we keep in contact with radios.

Great to see old friends and make new ones yesterday. Tobie and I rode with George to the CArson cutoff & Doug down to Amboy when we split off. Tobie and I then headed up to Longview & then out to Astoria, via a little detour to Mist & Jewell. Nice ride home today through Oregon City & Government Camp before finally seeing the sun again at Hood River. Man was it WINDY!

Just rolled in a few minutes ago, nice weekend ride. Thanks for the excuse to meet up.

Take care.

LIsa

I have put it on my calendar, but my have a conflict that I will know for sure 1st week of Aug. What time do you plan on leaving Randle? Shirt sounds good IF I AM ABLE to make the ride.

Ken