2008 FJR1300a

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giant22000

Reaction score
Hi all! I was looking to get opinions from the forum as to whether or not this seems to be a good buy or not as I am currently looking into an FJR1300. I'm not too familiar with this style of bike as I've always had cruisers. Just looking for something more comfortable to travel on. Thanks for your input! Here's the add for the 2008 FJR1300a:

Bike has 189 miles. Original owner, adult owned, garage kept and is in Mint condition. Bike comes with hard side bags with liners. ABS for added safety and push button electric adjustable windshield. Bike is still under factory warranty. YES available. More photos if needed.

He's come down to $10,750 from $11,290. Is $10,750 for this bike a good deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always offer a slightly lower price if you want. It's a free country. But thats a good price for a bike with less than 200 miles. I'd have to ask him why he is selling it. And I would also get down and look under everything (mufflers, bags, mirrors, etc.) and check for scratches. All those features your mentioned are 08 fjr standard features.

I came off of Harley touring bikes to the FJR. Trust me, I'll never go back to that v-twin engine after experiencing this motorcycle. This bike is designed as a sport tourer, and I don't think there is anything out there at this point that can touch it. The ligther crotch rockets can go faster, but if 150 ain't fast enuf, then you might wanna look elsewhere.

Best of fortune in your decision. There's lots of great farkles you can add to your fjr along and along, so you'll be in good company here on the forum.

Regards,

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike has 189 miles. Is $10,750 for this bike a good deal?
That is only an okay price at best. I would say it is NOT a 'Good' deal

I just paid last month $10k + taxes from a deal for a Factory Sales Rep bike with 8k miles and full 12 month warranty. There were a number of new '08s with full 12 month warranty for $11k (but I'm in CA and can't buy new 49-state models). Here is CA I could buy a new '08 CA model for a number of different dealers for around $11,750 (no prep, freight charges) without even haggling hard. Under $13k for a new '09. 49 state bikes sell for less

So a used stock '08 (even low miles) but with less warranty - I'd offer $10k (slightly more if most of the original 12month warranty available but I suspect there is probably only a few months remaining) And do buy the warranty (search these forums for how to buy at a discount). Oh and make sure you get the extra key and lock tumber that came with the bike originally if you add a trunk (lock/tumbler is key matched to bike). Liners were stock (not extra cost option)

With that said - the economy means new vehicles are selling at a significant discount, and that means used vehicles fall even further. Cash is king - use it wisely. I ran into a number of sellers who were upset when I told them what their bike is worth... but they are still trying to sell them, with their value dropping every day.

If the person wants a quick sale, price needs to be even less

Bike has 189 miles. Original owner, adult owned, garage kept and is in Mint condition. Bike comes with hard side bags with liners. ABS for added safety and push button electric adjustable windshield. Bike is still under factory warranty. YES available. More photos if needed.

Yeppers I was trying to buy the bike two weeks ago from that that guy in Port Arthur. The reason he's selling the bike[his words not mine] is he's medically unfit to to ride. He wouldn't come off that price of 11,290 so I had my eye on another FJR. Boy was he shocked when I told him I wasn't coming last week-end since I purchased one down in Brownsville for less, ergo his revelation to reduce the price. Nail it down its a good buy if what he says is true but offer 10,500 cause you seen one with 400miles for that price. BWAHAHAHAHA After you get it we'll meet up in H-town and I'll show you some nice farm to market roads out south of there. No stop signs, good two lane roads with great sight line, speed twisties, and nice long straight-a-ways to open her up. Just gotta watch out for the cows! :D

Yeppers I was trying to buy the bike two weeks ago from that that guy in Port Arthur. The reason he's selling the bike[his words not mine] is he's medically unfit to to ride. He wouldn't come off that price of 11,290 so I had my eye on another FJR. Boy was he shocked when I told him I wasn't coming last week-end since I purchased one down in Brownsville for less, ergo his revelation to reduce the price. Nail it down its a good buy if what he says is true but offer 10,500 cause you seen one with 400miles for that price. BWAHAHAHAHA After you get it we'll meet up in H-town and I'll show you some nice farm to market roads out south of there. No stop signs, good two lane roads with great sight line, speed twisties, and nice long straight-a-ways to open her up. Just gotta watch out for the cows! :D

lol, what a small world. I originally talked to the guy about the bike and he told me the same thing about not coming down off his price. Then, he emailed me a week later and said he would now consider a lower price. I'm not in a hurry to buy something b/c I have to sell my VTX1300R, but if I do happen to run across a good deal, I can go ahead and buy!

We'll have to ride sometime... Do you frequent the forum?

Buy it. It's a fair deal. Who cares why he's selling, as long as the bike checks out.

Grind him for another couple hundred? Big deal, your time spent enjoying the bike is worth

a couple hundred, right?

I'd buy it at that price. But, what the hell, get him to drop a few hundred.

If he says no, and you really want it, BUY IT!!

No harm No foul!! :glare:

lol, what a small world. I originally talked to the guy about the bike and he told me the same thing about not coming down off his price. Then, he emailed me a week later and said he would now consider a lower price. I'm not in a hurry to buy something b/c I have to sell my VTX1300R, but if I do happen to run across a good deal, I can go ahead and buy!

We'll have to ride sometime... Do you frequent the forum?

Been lurking for 2 months but I took delivery on the FJR last week and when I saw your post I had to register and give you a blow by blow of the failed deal. I found it funny since I got a better deal on another bike, do to his stubborness to negotiate.

Bike has 189 miles. Is $10,750 for this bike a good deal?
That is only an okay price at best. I would say it is NOT a 'Good' deal

I just paid last month $10k + taxes from a deal for a Factory Sales Rep bike with 8k miles and full 12 month warranty. There were a number of new '08s with full 12 month warranty for $11k (but I'm in CA and can't buy new 49-state models). Here is CA I could buy a new '08 CA model for a number of different dealers for around $11,750 (no prep, freight charges) without even haggling hard. Under $13k for a new '09. 49 state bikes sell for less

So a used stock '08 (even low miles) but with less warranty - I'd offer $10k (slightly more if most of the original 12month warranty available but I suspect there is probably only a few months remaining) And do buy the warranty (search these forums for how to buy at a discount). Oh and make sure you get the extra key and lock tumber that came with the bike originally if you add a trunk (lock/tumbler is key matched to bike). Liners were stock (not extra cost option)

With that said - the economy means new vehicles are selling at a significant discount, and that means used vehicles fall even further. Cash is king - use it wisely. I ran into a number of sellers who were upset when I told them what their bike is worth... but they are still trying to sell them, with their value dropping every day.

If the person wants a quick sale, price needs to be even less
Hey Lawrence,

Saw your post in the forum and wanted your opinion on a 2005 FJR 1300 selling at North County Yamaha in San Marcos. I wasn't sure because I heard about the heat issues, windshield buffetting and engine buzzing before on the FJR's before the Yamaha 2006 makeover. They want $8,000 for it with 8700 miles. I like the color but I am reading good things about the AE and was thinking if it is worth the wait of saving more money.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

GHG

Saw your post in the forum and wanted your opinion on a 2005 FJR 1300 selling at North County Yamaha in San Marcos. I wasn't sure because I heard about the heat issues, windshield buffetting and engine buzzing before on the FJR's before the Yamaha 2006 makeover. They want $8,000 for it with 8700 miles. I like the color but I am reading good things about the AE and was thinking if it is worth the wait of saving more money.
Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

GHG
You can find good 2005s for around $7000 now. I bought a 6K mile '05 nine months ago for $7500. What farkles are on the one at the dealer?

you will not regret going from a cruiser to this bike. I had a VTX 1300C before and would never go back. Its like comparing sports cars to a worn out farm truck. Good luck on your decision.