2008 Land of Enchantment 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that your dealer is getting your steed sorted out Dave. Wholeheartedly agree with Brian, you did the right thing.

Also monster kudos to Dave and his Dad for going above and beyond helping out the Bakkers with their ailing GT. :clapping:

Gang,
Knowing what I know now about the ECU recall, I would have tried harder to work through the issue knowing I wasn't causing any damage to the FJR :angry: . This was my first time I had DNF in a rally or IBA ride, so I hope to take some key learnings from this ride. Seeing all the work that Wolfhound did to get the bike going again before the start and Terry hitting a deer but keeping the bike upright and finishing the ride (and getting 2nd) :yahoo:

Take care everyone

Dave
You did the right thing - even working through it you might have gotten hurt out on the roads. It was a smart decision especially as the bike is new and there is no use abusing it when you are so close to home anyways.

As for the Bakker GT - it did not have a broken cam chain because the bike would still run but it was making gawdawful noise when he cranked it up. That tensioner is operated by oil pressure and at the least that was not working. He told me that the clutch backet had been hitting the oil pump over the past 40K miles and that he found out from BMW that was a "common" problem with that bike (how sweet is that :rolleyes:

My guess is that the oil pump was finally fried - does wonders for a high performance engine....

Last I heard it was at the dealers for an engine tear down.

On a lighter note I bet they fixed THAT in the new 1300 variants :rolleyes:

Brian R.
Brian,

I talked to Jeff and Milinda as we loaded the the GT into the truck and I heard Milinda say "that's the last time she is getting on it". So I think you are right the 1300 is probably heading their way. Specially after they took yours for a spin. :bike:

Dave

Glad to hear that your dealer is getting your steed sorted out Dave. Wholeheartedly agree with Brian, you did the right thing.
Also monster kudos to Dave and his Dad for going above and beyond helping out the Bakkers with their ailing GT. :clapping:
Yeah parts are on order, they said a week also thanks for the kudos.

I haven't known the Bakkers long but in the short time that I have I consider them good friends. We have sat and talked several times about routing and riding strategies and Jeff and Milinda are always willing to share ideas. They did a nice write on the IBA site on all the help they received.

Take care everyone I'm back to farkling the bike. I justed added aux-lighting yesterday and I'm rewiring the GPS and XM-Radio again. The fuel cell looks good sitting on the rear seat, so now I need to work on getting a mount built. I mailed Warchild and talked about a mount, so I'm starting the design. I also found a custom shop that will drill out the my tank for me (I was a little worried about doing that myself because I didn't want to screw up my tank). The guy owns a FJ1200 and had a 06 FJR so he seems to know the bike well. If I bring him the tank he'll do the job for $50, good price and keeps my piece of mind.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian,
I talked to Jeff and Milinda as we loaded the the GT into the truck and I heard Milinda say "that's the last time she is getting on it". So I think you are right the 1300 is probably heading their way. Specially after they took yours for a spin. :bike:
Nope.... Jeff is aware of the ST1300 shortcomings WRT 2-up rallying on that platform....
poke.gif

Jeff and Milinda have ordered a 2009 Honda GL1800.... that's what they will ride in the Iron Butt Rally next summer.

Brian,
Nope.... Jeff is aware of the ST1300 shortcomings WRT 2-up rallying on that platform....
poke.gif

Jeff and Milinda have ordered a 2009 Honda GL1800.... that's what they will ride in the Iron Butt Rally next summer.
Cool they rode Steve's after RWYB they must have been sold after test riding Brian's 1300.