2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is amazing stuff! I'm totally hooked on the progress of these crazy people. Thanks to all, especially Warchild for the information.
Has this thread set a record for the forum yet? Surely it will, by the end of the rally if not before.

I spent some time at a BMW dealer in Orange, CA today. Talk naturally turned to the rally. Irv Seaver's will have special Sunday opening hours for Iron Butt riders, headed towards nearby Santa Ana. (Guess they're stocking up on final drives?)

They also have a pretty blue FJR for sale, with their used bikes. Might prove tempting for a rider who is struggling along with a lesser machine.
You were 1.1 miles from my home.

You could have stopped by and mowed the lawn for me. eh?

:rolleyes:

Exactly so. Too, let's not forget that piece of crap he's on is a Girlie-Electric FJR with no friggin' clutch to feather and ease in, etc. Wouldn't be my first choice for dirt, by far.
Hey hey now! I'll go toe to toe with any rider (and probably Turbo Dave too) on a primitive "manual clutch" rider on a dirt road! It's all about rider skill! :p

I forgot to mention that I asked SkooterG yesterday what the ODO was at on his bike. He said he was at 197K and some change. That means that he will turn 200K either tomorrow of the next day. Will he be the first person to turn 200K on an FJR1300?

I forgot to mention that I asked SkooterG yesterday what the ODO was at on his bike. He said he was at 197K and some change. That means that he will turn 200K either tomorrow of the next day. Will he be the first person to turn 200K on an FJR1300?
DAyum... Seems like he just turned 100k last week.

:blink:

If you count the time in the air over the desert it's probably closer to 250,000!

Exactly so. Too, let's not forget that piece of crap he's on is a Girlie-Electric FJR with no friggin' clutch to feather and ease in, etc. Wouldn't be my first choice for dirt, by far.
Further, in rally configuration, the bike is clearly laden and top-heavy... definitely not an optimal platform for a stubby little 69-year-old coot to try to muscle-**** around in soft dirt.

You're a riot dale :lmaosmiley: :lol2: :lmaosmiley: :lol2: :lmaosmiley:

WoW over 20,000 hits already.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]"Don't **** with the Rally Mistress.... you'll lose every time!" [/SIZE]

higgy_lisa.jpg

I like that this leg is a different layout than normal, as stated in the report.it will be interesting to see how the top riders max out on points with so many places to choose from.

I like that this leg is a different layout than normal, as stated in the report.it will be interesting to see how the top riders max out on points with so many places to choose from.
Another thing that springs to mind is the surprises that might come from the boni locations in leg three. Would a STRONG and rested rider have a chance to make a comeback from midpack? This is setting up for a grand finish!

Hey hey now! I'll go toe to toe with any rider (and probably Turbo Dave too) on a primitive "manual clutch" rider on a dirt road! It's all about rider skill! :p
I'd lose. Click the crash icon below for proof. But I could pick the bike up later! Dave used the better part of valor, called wisdom. Safety first, even in the IBR. Go riders!

:jerry: This is getting more funner, if that's possible.

Dave used the better part of valor, called wisdom. Safety first, even in the IBR. Go riders!
Sometimes you have to do that, even though it sukx. Been there, done that, rode away from an 18K bonus (Ancient Bristlecone) because of dirt road/pouring rain/loaded GL1800. It hurt my position, but at least I finished!

Go Turbo!

I wouldn't want to be challenging TurboDave to a contest of rider skill. He's figured out what it takes to be riding like a crazy man, at an age when mere mortals would have long since quit. I'm guessing that he has amassed more than a little skill and knowledge over the few years that he's been riding.

I wouldn't want to be challenging TurboDave to a contest of rider skill. He's figured out what it takes to be riding like a crazy man, at an age when mere mortals would have long since quit. I'm guessing that he has amassed more than a little skill and knowledge over the few years that he's been riding.
No no! I'm a victim of my own misplaced modifier. I too would loose for sure to Dave as age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time!. I'm at home and Dave is OUT THERE. A far better man that me. Just sayin' don't diss us AE types out of hand, we may sneek up and smoke you conventional types in a flash (incl FJRocket, Brodie, and Mactrophy, among others). :D