2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the photos of the St Charles check point that Paul & Voni Glaves posted on LD Riders Forum and noticed one of Turbo Dave holding up his hand with bruses on it. Does anyone know what it is from.
I will say that he is smiling, so it can't be to serious.
I saw that too, but it looks like ink from his red gloves IMHO.
Yes, that is from his gloves. I wore that same pair for 6 days in 2006, and you woulda thought I'd contracted something unmentionable...

Whatever bonus is west of Clear Lake, Iowa on HWY 18, there are a ton of riders headed that way.... a TON of riders.... SkooterG and Iggy are with that group.
Not sure about the crime tie-in but that's where Buddy Holly's plane went down.

A list of the Leg 1 bonuses is available for download:

Leg 1 Bonus Zip FileThe zip file contains the bonuses in CSV, Excel, and OpenOffice Calc formats, and contains the bonus description, point value, time restrictions, and lat/long in degrees-minutes (as published by the IBA) and in decimal degrees.
Edit: The file was updated 20 minutes after the original posting to fix a problem with the decimal lat/long values.

Last edited by a moderator:
A list of the Leg 1 bonuses is available for download:Leg 1 Bonus Zip FileThe zip file contains the bonuses in CSV, Excel, and OpenOffice Calc formats, and contains the bonus description, point value, time restrictions, and lat/long in degrees-minutes (as published by the IBA) and in decimal degrees.
well if that aint groovy. me assuming this is not what the riders received, but rather someone (you?) took the data and compiled it in these formats?
That spreadsheet is cool ---and interesting the coordinates in Deg/min as well as decimal ...from what you say above I guess you added the dec format(?) and the riders only got deg/min(?) Also curious what format the riders go their info on the flash drive ....same as what is here(?) or a more GPS friendly format? The savy riders, it wouldn't make much difference, they'd convert in just a minute or two.

very nifty. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: so after some thought -you must have compliled this from the IBA information released in the bonus packet ......wow, you've been busy!!

I've been curious what that riders' electronic format looked like (CSV VALUE? SPREADSHEET? etc) and I'll continue to wonder -you obviously made this from scratch and didn't take from anything electronic. nice work, give those fingers a rest and have a beer. and thanks again for sharing.

A list of the Leg 1 bonuses is available for download:Leg 1 Bonus Zip FileThe zip file contains the bonuses in CSV, Excel, and OpenOffice Calc formats, and contains the bonus description, point value, time restrictions, and lat/long in degrees-minutes (as published by the IBA) and in decimal degrees.
well if that aint groovy. me assuming this is not what the riders received, but rather someone (you?) took the data and compiled it in these formats?
That spreadsheet is cool ---and interesting the coordinates in Deg/min as well as decimal ...from what you say above I guess you added the dec format(?) and the riders only got deg/min(?) Also curious what format the riders go their info on the flash drive ....same as what is here(?) or a more GPS friendly format? The savy riders, it wouldn't make much difference, they'd convert in just a minute or two.

EDIT: so after some thought -you must have compliled this from the IBA information released in the bonus packet ......wow, you've been busy!!

I've been curious what that riders' electronic format looked like (CSV VALUE? SPREADSHEET? etc) and I'll continue to wonder -you obviously made this from scratch and didn't take from anything electronic. nice work, give those fingers a rest and have a beer. and thanks again for sharing.
Interesting the two (-) point boni locations, tricky bastards.

Note: If you actually turn in this bonus, 525 points will be deducted from your score for the leg.

Ha!

Ok, so what's the deal with the negative bonus?

Gateway House -525 points Anytime

2232 Vine Street

Cincinnati, Ohio

N39 07.306 - W084 30.902

Take a photo of the gargoyle at street level in front of the building.

Category: Drug abuse.

On his way to a treatment center for heroin addiction, a man overdosed at the wheel of his car and crashed into the front of the drug treatment center. He was found with a needle still inserted into a vein in his arm. Note: If you actually turn in this bonus, 525 points will be deducted from your score for the leg.

Date: ________ Time: _________Odometer: ________ Code: CIN Approved: _________

Inside joke??

2232 Vine Street

Cincinnati, Ohio

N39 07.306 - W084 30.902

On his way to a treatment center for heroin addiction, a man overdosed at the wheel of his car and crashed into the front of the drug treatment center. He was found with a needle still inserted into a vein in his arm. Note: If you actually turn in this bonus, 525 points will be deducted from your score for the leg.

Inside joke??

There are two negative bonuses. These are the don't be stupid read the damn bonus sheet bonuses.

2232 Vine Street

Cincinnati, Ohio

N39 07.306 - W084 30.902

Inside joke??

There are two negative bonuses. These are the don't be stupid read the damn bonus sheet bonuses.
zactly, reading comprehension is a big part of all of this. that little (-) sign is almost invisible when you're fatigued, and you'd likely talk yourself into it being a typo.

Then you ride there, read the requirements and realize you just fooked yourself.

2232 Vine Street

Cincinnati, Ohio

N39 07.306 - W084 30.902

Inside joke??

Yep. It was explained at the banquet in Spartanburg. I will leave it to Warchild to make that funny tidbit public.

EDIT: so after some thought -you must have compliled this from the IBA information released in the bonus packet ......wow, you've been busy!! I've been curious what that riders' electronic format looked like (CSV VALUE? SPREADSHEET? etc) and I'll continue to wonder -you obviously made this from scratch and didn't take from anything electronic. nice work, give those fingers a rest and have a beer. and thanks again for sharing.
Actually, I converted the PDF file into a text file, and wrote a script to scrape out the relevant parts.

EDIT: so after some thought -you must have compliled this from the IBA information released in the bonus packet ......wow, you've been busy!! I've been curious what that riders' electronic format looked like (CSV VALUE? SPREADSHEET? etc) and I'll continue to wonder -you obviously made this from scratch and didn't take from anything electronic. nice work, give those fingers a rest and have a beer. and thanks again for sharing.
Actually, I converted the PDF file into a text file, and wrote a script to scrape out the relevant parts.
200468697-001.jpg
AX005-631.jpg
u13267504.jpg
15327-51IL.jpg

He probably did what I did and took the PDF and exported to txt and massaged. But he figured out how to get decimal degrees... and with that I have this:

IBA-Leg1.png

I would be happy to share the GDB if someone official sounding says its ok. As an IBA member I dont want to tick off the IBA!

2232 Vine Street

Cincinnati, Ohio

N39 07.306 - W084 30.902

Inside joke??

zactly, reading comprehension is a big part of all of this. that little (-) sign is almost invisible when you're fatigued, and you'd likely talk yourself into it being a typo.

Then you ride there, read the requirements and realize you just fooked yourself.

Sick rally-master bastards!!! :angry2:

Yep. It was explained at the banquet in Spartanburg. I will leave it to Warchild to make that funny tidbit public.
All riders were told of these negative point values at the Rider's Meeting.

In a nutshell... some of these crime scenes were so gruesome, the Rally Mistress told Bob Higdon: "Forget it, I am not sending people to that sick crime scene". Bob took umbrage, and threaten to quit if she did not include them in the bonus listing. "Fine", she said, "I'll make sure they are in the bonus listing."

She kept her word... all these gruesome bonii were included in the bonus pack.

But she assigned them a NEGATIVE point value, which will ensure they are not visited by anyone.

Don't **** with the Rally Mistress.... you'll lose every time. :unsure: :lol: