2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave had been riding a dirt road just before a few paved miles and the contrast between the dusty outer areas of the tire and the dirtless, squared-off section of the tire just make it look scary. After Dave washed the wheel and tire with soap and water to remove gear lube, it looked better. Not new. But certainly okay for another 1,000+ miles.
Yep, old Dave Biasotti is a crusty veteran who definitely knows his way around a bike... if he had no problems with the remaining tread depth, the tire is good.

" After Dave washed the wheel and tire with soap and water to remove gear lube, it looked better. Not new. But certainly okay for another 1,000+ miles."

I know that getting stranded somewhere is bad, and not having confidence in the bike is also bad (for me, it is a deal breaker on any bike), but the thought of having gear oil/lube getting on a tire at 80 mph and the potential disaster that could cause is mind boggling. Maybe that is why BMW denies any failure problems--liability issues. No wait, I realized they deny any problems evar (surging, ignition rings etc), :rolleyes: .

doctorj

Just looked over all the posts , Very cool stuff going on . Thanks WARCHILD and the others who posted up pictures and writeups . Good luck to all the super riders for a safe ride .

Maybe they stuck a car tire on the RT, hehe.
While you jest, I can tell you for a fact that a CT will not fit on the RT. Another IBR RT owner and I verified that prior to the IBR. The single sided swingarm has too tight a radius at the front and the suspension tension arm, (or what ever BMW calls it), is too close to the tire for clearance. Essentially, a piss poor design with excessive flaws, no matter how you slice it. For all those that disagree, write a list of the reasons for a single sided swing arm to exist on a motorcycle. That won't take long. <_<

I am sitting in the Scoring Room with Joe Denton, we are the first ones here.

Paul Allison appears to be the first rider in. He is fairly fried.... he said riding through Phoenix last night, it was 91 degrees.... at midnight!

More as it happens.... I'll be here all day, and all night.

... write a list of the reasons for a single sided swing arm to exist on a motorcycle. That won't take long. <_<
I don't want to derail this (quite compelling) thread into a debate about final drives, but let's qualify this with "single-sided shaft-drive swing arm". Lot's of chain (or belt)-drive bikes employ single-sided swing arms quite successfully and I don't think I've ever heard of the sprocket/hub assembly on one those failing. BMW's own F800ST is good an example of the reliability of this configuration. Sure other things do go wrong on that bike, but I don't recall reading anything negative about the drive (with the exception of a batch of bad belts in initial production a few years ago).

As an aside, a friend of mine living in Portugal owned an R1150RT that suffered a final drive failure at ~7000 mi. (which was replaced under warranty even though he'd owned the bike over 2 years). His dealer in Lisbon told him that BMW Motorrad has "not denied there is a problem" (which doesn't mean they've confirmed there is one either). He sold that bike shortly after it was repaired (ok, immediately after it was repaired...) and bought a Ducati Multistrada which uses a single-sided swing arm with chain and sprocket drive. Zero problems to date...

I guess I'll only add that this is all very troubling as, believe it or not, I'd really love owning an "R" bike; the R1200R in particular. That bike speaks to me. Unfortunately for BMW, I'm not much a Kool-Aid drinker and I won't spend the money until they prove they can build something as reliable as my FJR. Tall order that...

Update for Ignacio from his female friend:

Well, he's a busy boy and I think will get even busier before reaching checkpoint 2 tonight! I talked to him just a while ago and he's doing OK. He had reached Tucson after a very long ride (included some rest) from the Barbed Wire Museum in Kansas. That put him on a course out of Kansas, through a bit of Texas, through New Mexico where I think he snagged a few more points, and into Arizona. He's got 4 or 5 more bonus sites in his plan before reaching Santa Ana tonight but may replan that if he thinks time will be too tight. It's hot in Arizona and he knows that may make a difference with stamina. He's working hard and I think feels pretty good about his points.

Update for Ignacio from his female friend:

Well, he's a busy boy and I think will get even busier before reaching checkpoint 2 tonight! I talked to him just a while ago and he's doing OK. He had reached Tucson after a very long ride (included some rest) from the Barbed Wire Museum in Kansas. That put him on a course out of Kansas, through a bit of Texas, through New Mexico where I think he snagged a few more points, and into Arizona. He's got 4 or 5 more bonus sites in his plan before reaching Santa Ana tonight but may replan that if he thinks time will be too tight. It's hot in Arizona and he knows that may make a difference with stamina. He's working hard and I think feels pretty good about his points.
Iggy's cat can type..?? :huh:

:p

Dave had been riding a dirt road just before a few paved miles and the contrast between the dusty outer areas of the tire and the dirtless, squared-off section of the tire just make it look scary. After Dave washed the wheel and tire with soap and water to remove gear lube, it looked better. Not new. But certainly okay for another 1,000+ miles.
Yep, old Dave Biasotti is a crusty veteran who definitely knows his way around a bike... if he had no problems with the remaining tread depth, the tire is good.
More pix from Dave's Colorado adventure.

Tools, manuals and parts ready for incoming patient.

https://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/L...SA/IMG_0101.jpg

Matt Parkhouse

https://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/L...SA/IMG_0102.jpg

Dave preparing to unload.

https://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/L...SA/IMG_0105.jpg

Lubed rear wheel and tire.

https://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/L...SA/IMG_0106.jpg

Victim of trailer loading, if I heard correctly. You'll spot Dave immediately from the sporty replacement mirror.

https://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/L...SA/IMG_0112.jpg

Drain plug with conclusive evidence of terminal grindage.

https://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt347/L...SA/IMG_0114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More pix from Dave's Colorado adventure. <<snip>>

I feel like I was there. Outstanding coverage and thanks to Chris! Many great posts here.

ASIDE: I am not a CRUSTY veteran, and asked Warchild at a sponsoring dealership during NAFO in CO if my tire would get me home to Oregon. No problem was the answer and no problem it was. He also took one look at el grande :dribble: and said to increase the tire pressures... been getting an extra 2K miles per set of tires since! Thanks Dale.

Can't wait for the news on the second leg, and how Skooter is recovering, whether Matt is secumbing to heat and how the riders are. Sad one rider crashed with fractures. This is better than the World Series.

Also hope to find time to catch a glimpse of a rider or two coming through town (Roseburg is about 1/2 way from CA to WA and on I-5). First time I'll really miss seeing live-time SPOT tracking.

GREAT job on the updates. I'm happy there's no twitter/ blog crap, by this time it would be all the same, man I'm tired, i'll push on etc... I'll wait for the end of this amazing event and listen to the recollections.

I sold my 06 FJR after 11k for ergonomic reasons (lack of reasonable handlebar adjustment) for a R1150R. and now own a R1200RT. I own them till the warranty runs out and get another one. I LOVE the ride but I also know there is/will be a problem. The Kool Aid is great. What bothers me the most is a Gold Wing (01 and newer Goldwings run a single sided swing arm) can withstand lights, chrome and all the crap they put on them and I never heard of one going bad. BMW's are 200lbs lighter and can't stand the heat of a grueling day(s). Maybe 010's will upgrade.

It's like the calm before the Storm here..... we have a Scorer's Meeting at 3pm, then the Scoring Tables open up at 4pm - just under 2 hours.

Where in the hell are all my FJRs? The only two I have seen belong to Staff (Tobie & Lisa Stevens)..... the riders still have plenty of time, but I would've thought one or two would be in by now..... :huh:

Dunno how much I this so far...... we should have a lot more dudes in by now, and we don't.

Which means they are still out there at it.... and it is one hot mother out there right now. I hope these riders are smart enough to stay hydrated in this heat..... look at a weather.com radar map, and there is only one spot in the country with serious high triple-digit temps.... SoCal.

Wouldn't be surprise if the heat cause some dropouts tonight. It is seriously hot out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno how much I this so far...... we should have a lot more dudes in by now, and we don't.
Which means they are still out there at it.... and it is one hot mother out there right now. I hope these riders are smart enough to stay hydrated in this heat..... look at a weather.com radar map, and there is only one spot in the country with serious high triple-digit temps.... SoCal.

Wouldn't be surprise if the heat cause some dropouts tonight. It is seriously hot out there.
I'd hate like heck to be in my one piece Roadcrafter at 115 degrees, and I saw a bunch of RCs and other type gear in Spartanburg. Maybe some have mesh stuff in their gear storage (under the final drives, :rolleyes: ).

doctorj

I'd hate like heck to be in my one piece Roadcrafter at 115 degrees, and I saw a bunch of RCs and other type gear in Spartanburg. Maybe some have mesh stuff in their gear storage (under the final drives, :rolleyes: ).

doctorj
From the Long Distance Riders website:

https://www.ldriders.com/html/riding_in_heat.html