2009...what a good year for riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I'd summarize what great riding trips I had in 2009...it was a great year after a horrible winter off season filled with health worries.

First, I tried out my new 2004 ride, and my new TourMaster suit on March and April trips to Wisconsin.

DSC03134.jpg

DSC03193.jpg

Then, I thought I would try some twisty roads on an April trip to SE Ohio with my buddy TriggerT

20094springtime002.jpg

20094springtime008.jpg

Next, I had committed to visiting TheAxeman in Sag Harbor in May. It was a tremendous trip. Gypsy, Ionbeam, Geezer, griff, and murph joined in as we rode to Sag Harbor to honor Jordan and visit with Chris. That's about all I have words for right now on that Sag Harbor trip. You can read more by clicking on the trip report Sag Harbor report linky

29.jpg

Next, in June was the mother of all trips this year for me....CFR...wadda riot. 6000 miles in 11 days. CFR ride report HERE

DAY22009CFR011.jpg

Then I stopped riding for 2 months and did family trips and worked my tail off at work...

EDIT: In August, I did drive all of 5 miles out of my way to show my son David the IBR checkpoint in St Charles, IL as the riders were arriving :) ...

2009IBR005.jpg

Then in September, griff, murph and I did a nice day ride into Wisconsin and back. The following weekend, I took my son David on the same ride route and we stopped at CFO that was meeting in La Crosse. Wrote a little ride report...you can read about it HERE

DLIMDILACROSSEWITRIP006.jpg

Then in October I rode with some new Ohio friends...wrote a little SE Ohio ride report HERE

2009FallSEOhio017.jpg

on an increasingly familiar SE Ohio route...roller coaster ridin' and rural livin'

2009FallSEOhio020.jpg

and past haunts :) ...

2009FallSEOhio031.jpg

artistic rider, 0face and myself headed out to Galena in late October for a nice day ride. Started out in a cold rain, but the weather got better as the day progressed.

2009OctoberGalenaride001.jpg

2009OctoberGalenaride010.jpg

2009OctoberGalenaride014.jpg

Then, at the end of October I took a little ride down to MO/AR with murph to ride 500 miles of twisties in one day,

encountered a little water along the way...murph wrote up a little report HERE

DSCI0724.jpg

I thought I was done with riding for the year as October was very cold and rainy. November is usually when it gets colder and snowy. But we were blessed this year with some unseasonably warmer (40s/50s) November weather.

As soon as I get the photos off the camera, I will upload some photos of a little ride that griff, airboss, and I took in the Illinois River valley.

EDIT: Here it is...Little ride report HERE

2009Novemberride006.jpg

2009Novemberride008.jpg

2009Novemberride014.jpg

EDIT: CODA: My last motorcycle ride of the year was one week after the ride with griff and airboss. It was up to Zion, Illinois to visit a long lost friend from 25 years ago that I found again through Facebook. My friend is dying from Muscular Dystrophy...and he tells me he has had it for 14 years. I spent a good afternoon talking with him, catching up. He has no plans for the future...he tells me to use my time...he knows his is about gone. That was one motorcycle ride I wouldn't have missed for anything.

All in all it was a fantastic year. I loved every trip...

Here's to many trips in 2010! :clapping:

Now add your own list of favorite 2009 mcy trips in the following posts...

Last edited by a moderator:
My first "real ride" on my new '08 in the Spring of '09 (spring here means pavement shows through ice).

032109_1214002.jpg

My "mayfly special" ride in late May along the Salmon River in ID..

FJR2May09-1.jpg

My September trek solo through ID, MT, AB, BC and WA...

DSC02764.jpg

Then my "last hurrah" stopped on Jackson pass by WY state trooper b/c of snow storm..

102409TetonPass.jpg

Not much street riding this year : ( but the reason is that we've spent a lot more time riding off-road ; )

Traded my Ninja for a G650GS in April. Rode it to Sedona, AZ in June and tried some fire-roads and trails. There's a ride report lurking somewhere on the forum. Good trip.

Awesome long weekend trip to Page, AZ for SW-FOG. Remembered just why I love the FJR (except when we went down a deep, gravel road by mistake).

Since then, all my weekends off work have been spent on my smallest bike, the TTR125.

Looking forward to lots of happy miles in 2010.

My trips seem to always start in early April

MOONSHINE Lunch Run

IMG_0464.jpg

Then went Big Foot hunting in May.

Found some good roads

P5180011.jpg

Some interesting people

P5180007.jpg

Some reeeeeally big trees

P5150031-1.jpg

No, Big Foot, guess I'll have to try again.

An SS1000 on a VFR

086-2.jpg

Spent some time riding with my Daughter, even got her to buy coffee, ONCE!

IMG_0712.jpg

Went looking at Lighthouses on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior

CFO-09042.jpg

And of course CFO.

hmmmm i spent all year broke and doing a major store remodel (meaning no riding time at all cept for to and from the jobsite) :blink:

In no particular order:

This was a year of riding for me and my son, Nicky Tomatoes. We spent a few days on the road...

2009Route.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

I had my cam chain and tensioner replaced by Desert Cycle Works

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Had my shock rebuilt...

IMG_1229.jpg

Turned 80K earlier this year...

IMG_1162.jpg

Went to a race weekend in Fontana CA...

IMG_9567.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

Visited the IBR checkpoint in Santa Ana...

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4094.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4293.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

to be continued...

Even more road trip w/ the kid...

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

And a day of dual-sporting on a friend's XR...

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5463.jpg

And some Route 66 photos...

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9012.jpg

IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9030.jpg

And another mileage milestone...

IMG_8926.jpg

Thanks for sharing there Gunny...looks like great times. :clapping:

However, if future posters could keep the post limited to a list of your favorite rides, with a representative piccie or two or three from each ride, and a link to a ride report if you got one....that would be great. Kinda like a little taste of your mcy riding year...

The saving grace of my year was the rides I took with friends, otherwise, I'm only to glad to put 2009 behind me. In a few days, I'll get to hit the delete button on it.

It all started when I backed my bike out from its winter hidey hole and thumbed the starter only to have it spring to life like I just shut it off 30 minutes ago.

Dsc00242.jpg

The first trip of the year was in late May for a 'Meet in the Middle' with FJRRob1300, Mike and Mr. & Mrs Moosehead for a romp around Parry Sound.

IMG_0285.jpg

This ride ended with Rob and I camping in Grundy Lake Provincial Park. Do a search for the bear in the woods or the Strogonoff Bomb.

IMG_0301.jpg

I spent a bit of time prepping the bike for CFR. Unfortunatly CFR didn't go off for me. Shit.

In August, Mike and his brother met up with LeSkid for a ride up through Mont Tremblant, the best that Quebec has to offer and finishing up at Mauricie National Parc.

Dsc03890.jpg

Fantastic ride! Is it June yet?

Before EOM I made do with a bunch of smaller rides around the area. I believe the first of which was to Midlothian Ridge where they're were no sheep to be seen. I think the monoliths scared them off.

IMG_0361.jpg

And the Bikers Reunion in New Liskeard for the latest in haute couture pirate fashions. Their were some cool things to see, like the TRex with Givi topboxes for side bags.

IMG_0327.jpg

EOM Finally rolled around in Sept and FJRob1300 and I met up represented Canada. I finally got to ride the Dragon (in the rain x 2) and the Snake. But had an awesome time nonetheless. This and the Quebec trip were the highpoints of the year.

_MG_7279.jpg

By the time I returned from EOM, the colours will well along. I took a quick ride out snapped this one.

IMG_0487.jpg

The riding season was winding down. June, July and August were cool and wet. I learned to say fack it and ride in the rain. Sept was really nice, October back to wet and cold and believe it or not, November kicked Octobers ass for weather! So I busted out the heated gear and extended the season as much as I dared.

IMG_0518.jpg

But all good things must come to an end. On Nov 23 I parked my bike for the long white. I haven't seen it since then. Right now its -32 with the windchill, and just the thought of picturing my bike in those temps, tucked away in a garage in the dark makes me feel terrible. We've been through so much together. Healthy people don't treat loved ones this way!

Thanks for sharing there Gunny...looks like great times. :clapping:
However, if future posters could keep the post limited to a list of your favorite rides, with a representative piccie or two or three from each ride, and a link to a ride report if you got one....that would be great. Kinda like a little taste of your mcy riding year...
Hmm...I suppose that was a little selfish of me. Sorry folks. I may have gotten a little over-excited. Well hey, don't leave me hangin'...who else has some cool shots of 2009? :blink:

didn't do much riding this year, with being deathly sick, and having to pull money for my family I did manage to have an grand time in sw-fog

Got to see beautiful AZ and Utah

see the fool faces to the ever changing avatars

and general good hearted cometary of of the rest of you guys/gals :yahoo:

would not trade it for anything in the world

Next self serve hotel bar, next few bottles are on me :drinks:

I only managed to squeeze in one real trip this year but it was still a lot of fun. Decided to go find the Lost Coast of California.

Found some other cool stuff along the way.

100_0429.jpg

the whole story is here

Nice pics and summary wheatie! Since I never really have to stop riding due to weather anymore :) we've got a full year of PNW rides to catch up on...

Rode with my buddy Panman down south for a M&E at Buster's BBQ with the PDX bunch.

BustersDinner002.jpg

Mt. Hood was out this day!

BustersDinner001.jpg

Went north a bit to Mt. Erie and took in the views!

DSCN1289.jpg

Hudson arranged a little day ride to the Kitsap Peninsula.

DSCN1315.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

Who can forget CFR in Nakusp.

DSCN1464.jpg

DSCN1453.jpg

Gotta make a trip or two to Mt. St. Helens to meet the gang. Don't forget Mt. Rainier!

DSCN1569.jpg

DSCN1559.jpg

Annual Maupin OR. trip to visit those central Oregon twisties.

DSCN1583.jpg

DSCN1584.jpg

End of the year to visit snow!

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

And...who can forget the bike show with the PNW gang, and barb too!

DSCN1615.jpg

Here's hoping that 2010 is filled with more adventures! :yahoo:

--G