2010 or 2012?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI when making your bid, we negotiated a deal to buy a 2012 at $500 over dealer cost (about $14153 + tax_license). I would use that information in formulating any offer. I would also shop a different dealer and get the 2012 rather than take the $3000-$4000 hit immediately upon taking possession.of a 2010. Actually I would (and did) buy used. There are some fantastic deals, and some listed in the classifieds of this forum.
How do you know what 'dealer cost' is? That still sounds a bit high to me. Somebody call D&H and find out what they are selling 2012 FJRs for. That will give you a good baseline.

I have seen new 09 and 10 FJRs advertised for $11,600. Don't know what BS fees they would try to add on to that, but that gives you a starting point.
I was shown the invoice and $500 was added to it. There are undisclosed dealer incentives that could exist that might make a lower deal possible, however, this was about "$2000 less than a good deal" according to some people who have been looking, and the bike was immediately deliverable from the showroom floor. It wasn't for me, or I might have asked for lower. I make no representations about the value of that deal other than it beats the one in the first post by a country mile.

2010 $11,999

2012 $13,888

Two lowest prices I found with a quick check on cycletrader. Definitely worth doing some further research.
Clicked on your first link above and found a New 2011 for a lower price than they showed for a 2010. hmmmm???

2011 $10,699
When I was shopping, I got a quote from the dealer that has the 2011 advertised for $10,699. It is brand new in the crate. The out the door price (not including tax and other state fees) is $11,600.50.
WOW.

For a $900 dollars, I'll assemble it myself!

This bike is at North County Yamaha in Escondido.

Unfortunately, I have to buy in California.

They have this funny (ha ha) rule that if your out of state bike has less than 10k miles you can't register it here.

The California bikes are usually a bit different than the rest.

My Suzuki has more emissions crap and actually has a lower high gear.

Thanks guys, I have some great ammo to come at the dealer with.

I really want the 2012 anyway.

If you want, I'll hook you up with my dealer and you can decide if a fly n ride is worthwhile. It might be. 2012 OTD with California taxes title and license will be about $15,580. Send a PM if you want. I would grab a quote and let your dealer match it or not. SWA air-fare is cheap and the ride is epic except for the road closure on HWY 1.

337841_315493358489685_165870670118622_851071_1403900319_o.jpg

Highway 1 south of Big Sur is closed in both directions due to a rock slide. The slide happened about 25 miles south of Big Sur and from the picture above you can tell that it will take several days to clean up.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWA air-fare is cheap and the ride is epic except for the road closure on HWY 1.

337841_315493358489685_165870670118622_851071_1403900319_o.jpg

Highway 1 south of Big Sur is closed in both directions due to a rock slide. The slide happened about 25 miles south of Big Sur and from the picture above you can tell that it will take several days to clean up.
Damn...does that happen every year?

Family and me are flying into SF in June to do a weeklong minivan vacation. Hwy 1 in the Big Sur area was missed this past May. I better not have to miss it twice! :angry2:

:(

My experience with NCY has been pretty poor, in both the service dept and sales. Personally, I would look elsewhere unless there is nothing else available in the San Diego area, and even then I would probably expand my search area.

Then again, TominCA's offer sounds like a great offer. I'd be interested in hearing what he comes up with...

FYI when making your bid, we negotiated a deal to buy a 2012 at $500 over dealer cost (about $14153 + tax_license). I would use that information in formulating any offer. I would also shop a different dealer and get the 2012 rather than take the $3000-$4000 hit immediately upon taking possession.of a 2010. Actually I would (and did) buy used. There are some fantastic deals, and some listed in the classifieds of this forum.
How do you know what 'dealer cost' is? That still sounds a bit high to me. Somebody call D&H and find out what they are selling 2012 FJRs for. That will give you a good baseline.

I have seen new 09 and 10 FJRs advertised for $11,600. Don't know what BS fees they would try to add on to that, but that gives you a starting point.
+1

I bought my '09A in '09 for like $13.2k otd. Granted cost has gone up I'm sure, but still.....

With cars it's somewhat easy to find cost, but on bikes? not sure how to do it unless there is a pay service somewhere that sells the info.

I'd have to put my vote on the 2012 but that's because I have the 2012 and am kind of biased. :D

The 2010 isn't worth it for the price they're trying to sell it for. If you want to pay that amount, you might as well go to a different dealer that will order you a 2012 model.

+1

I bought my '09A in '09 for like $13.2k otd. Granted cost has gone up I'm sure, but still.....

With cars it's somewhat easy to find cost, but on bikes? not sure how to do it unless there is a pay service somewhere that sells the info.
I remember being quoted $11,500 OTD on a 2011. Dealer cost on the 2012 is $13644 plus a shipping of about $400. My recollection is the bike sold for 14,130 plus taxes for Sacramento county and DMV. This added about $1K to the price. It wasn't even my bike. The deal was so good compared to what the guy was offered at Roseville that he closed the deal immediately. I really don't give a shit what you could buy a bike for in 2009, or if what I'm saying is even the lowest offer on the planet (I doubt it is). If someone wants my help or wants to work with the people that have been treating me pretty darn well, I'll be glad to set up the contact.

Good luck getting that 2012 for under $12K, but word on the street is, imports are cut way back and there just isn't a bike glut this year, but you should be able to make a great deal on a leftover 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the place next to the 78 freeway on Montiel? My cousin lives just about directly across the street if so - not that it's any help, just sayin'.

When I was out there last yr July I visited him and went into that dealer for some general gawking and bought some trinkets...

-so last summer, i was ready to buy.

i sent an email to 6 dealerships, within a days drive (500 miles or so) and explained that I was ready to buy, shopping regional deals, cash in hand, and whomever had the best deal, won my business.

several responded, some were not even close to a deal.

one about 200 miles away offered me the bike at invoice.

granted it was a 2010, and on original discussion, they were saying it was a 2011.

Upon discovering the discrepency (prior to the deal being made) we adjusted price to cover the loss of the heated grips.

what sealed the deal for me was they worked with a local credit union. I asked them to do their best on a financing offer and came back with a 2.9% loan.

i'm happy as hell with the deal, and even though i didn't get the factory heated grips i was after, i love this bike.

i originally started looking at used, and while i would have been very happy with a previously loved bike, the deal was a good one and the financing was so good, buying new only made sense.

best of luck...

keep us posted...

I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but they claim to show dealer cost:

See Dealer Cost

They don't have info for the 2010 or older FJR, but you could probably extrapolate values for other years using the same percentage delta to get an estimate for the 2010.