2010 or 2012?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardiff Dave

Reaction score
I'm ready to pull the trigger on my FJR.

I found a dealer here in San Diego with a new 2010 in his showroom.

Of course he has a retail price tag on it.

Any thoughts what I should offer him?

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference (besides color) between the two?

Peace

Dave

Other than heated grips, no known differences between the two however that doesn't mean there aren't some small ones we are not aware of when it comes to fuel injectin mapping, connectors, or other relatively minor stuff.

If you like the color, I would go for the 2010 hoping to get a significantly better deal. Check Cycletrader and claz.org to get an idea of how some dealers may be discounting '10 models.

Two brand new bikes. Nice choice. But one of them is two years old right now. Something to think about when planning to upgrade to your new 2017 FJR in a few years. Make sure the cost difference reflects that. Have fun.

If it were me, I'd like to see a minimum of 1000 off per year on the purchase price. Good luck with your decision.

Gary

darksider #44

Does the dealership have any other FJR's in the showroom?

If so, what price(s) are on them.

I would try and find out the history on this motorcycle, such as, has it been in his inventory or did he acquire it from another dealership.

I would let the dealer throw out a price, then compare it to what he would sell you a 2012 for.

Remind him that he is sitting on a 2 year old NOS FJR. It's got to be tying up cash flow.

Find out about a YES warranty as well.

Grind on him as best you can and good luck.

Let us know what you find out.

Robert

Thanks for the great responses.

I'm a new guy here and appreciate all of your input.

Yeah, the 2010 is the only one they have.

It is marked with the original $15,100 retail price.

They said that they won't get a 2012 in until that one sells.

The salesman said that it has been there since May 2011.

Strange that they would get a 2010 six months after the 2011's were already out.

It's been sitting in their showroom for nine months.

He said that the FJR's are slow sellers.

I'll have my tax return in my hand in four weeks.

I'm also selling my 2004 Suzuki Marauder 1600.

If it's still there when I go back, I'll see if I can wear him down.

Still wearing the wife down in the meantime.

More to come....

I've seen older "new" FJR's on the showroom floors at dealerships here in Okahoma for two reasons.

The Good: The delaership I bought my bike from buys from other dealers (for whatever reason) at advertised discount without haggling. So they are turning more inventory.

The Bad: My nearest dealer has/had a two year old FJR on the floor, and they still want damn near retail. They declined so I drove 150 miles to save a couple grand.

I wonder if they are still dusting that FJR?

Strange that they would get a 2010 six months after the 2011's were already out.

FYI when making your bid, we negotiated a deal to buy a 2012 at $500 over dealer cost (about $14153 + tax_license). I would use that information in formulating any offer. I would also shop a different dealer and get the 2012 rather than take the $3000-$4000 hit immediately upon taking possession.of a 2010. Actually I would (and did) buy used. There are some fantastic deals, and some listed in the classifieds of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

FYI when making your bid, we negotiated a deal to buy a 2012 at $500 over dealer cost (about $14153 + tax_license). I would use that information in formulating any offer. I would also shop a different dealer and get the 2012 rather than take the $3000-$4000 hit immediately upon taking possession.of a 2010. Actually I would (and did) buy used. There are some fantastic deals, and some listed in the classifieds of this forum.
That's good advice.

It looks like that dealership is not willing to work with you.

As TomlnCa said don't take the $3000-$4000 hit on that 2010.

How do you know what 'dealer cost' is? That still sounds a bit high to me. Somebody call D&H and find out what they are selling 2012 FJRs for. That will give you a good baseline.

I have seen new 09 and 10 FJRs advertised for $11,600. Don't know what BS fees they would try to add on to that, but that gives you a starting point.

My vote is for the 2012. If you are taking out a loan the difference between the payments will only be 20 or 30 bucks if you get them to come down 2 or 3K on the 2010. Then in four or five years when you want to get another new FJR, your trade-in will only be five years old max not seven.

Besides, everyone here knows Cobalt Blue is the best looking and fastest FJR out there. (until they offer it in blue again.)

Good Luck!!

2010 $11,999

2012 $13,888

Two lowest prices I found with a quick check on cycletrader. Definitely worth doing some further research.
Clicked on your first link above and found a New 2011 for a lower price than they showed for a 2010. hmmmm???

2011 $10,699
When I was shopping, I got a quote from the dealer that has the 2011 advertised for $10,699. It is brand new in the crate. The out the door price (not including tax and other state fees) is $11,600.50.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on my FJR.

I found a dealer here in San Diego with a new 2010 in his showroom.

Of course he has a retail price tag on it.

Any thoughts what I should offer him?

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference (besides color) between the two?

Peace

Dave
Are you looking at the one at South Bay Motorsports? If not, they have a 2010 also. They had it marked at $12,900 a while back, but I think they have since pulled the price off of it. This shop has a ST1300, a Concours and the FJR right next to each other for conparison which is nice. I considered the 2010 at this shop but did not get to the negotiating phase so I don't know what they will take for it. A good used black 2008 came along on Craigslist with low miles while I was considing it and I bought the used one.