2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoenix is a long way from anything except the finish line. Tough to get if you do Santa Fe, Denver, Cheyenne, SLC and over to Carson City and Sacramento.

How is outside routing help handled, is there any way to prevent all the arm chair riders from helping guide riders to a winning route ?

How is outside routing help handled, is there any way to prevent all the arm chair riders from helping guide riders to a winning route ?
Yes. They make the riders read this thread. They all immediately toss their cellphones off the nearest overpass.

Phoenix is a long way from anything except the finish line. Tough to get if you do Santa Fe, Denver, Cheyenne, SLC and over to Carson City and Sacramento.
Cheyenne and SLC were capitals for Leg 1, judging from the number of people who headed there. I don't believe Denver was, as I watched one rider hop over just far enough into CO to grab the state, but not the capital.

So far, I believe these capitals are on Leg 1: WA, OR, MT, ID, UT, WY, ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, OH, KY, PA...and possibly NY (though I doubt it). That's based on seeing at least one rider go in as far to the capital...instead of just grabbing the state and continuing on. Now, I may have missed some riders while sleeping, so this is only based on what I have witnessed.

That leaves the following states capitals: NY (?), VT, ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC, TN, GA, FL, AL, MS, AR, LA, OK, TX, CO, NM, AZ, NV, CA.

Leg 2 possible states: NY (?), VT, ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC, TN, GA, FL

Leg 3 possible states: AL, MS, AR, LA, OK, TX, CO, NM, AZ, NV, CA

Anyone want to do the routing needed to snag those capital bonuses in relation to the alloted leg time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been to Madawasku so I have no idea about those highways. Do you risk four boarder crossing to go up Canada Hwy 2 or use Hwy 11 or 161? Just looks like a time eater.

Think of it like playing golf by the rules. It's a matter of honesty.

Yes. They make the riders read this thread. They all immediately toss their cellphones off the nearest overpass.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are quite a bit of checks and balances in place to ensure there is no "team" assistance ala the 2005 and 2007 rallies... and the threat of what will happen if one is caught is severe. For some, being ostracized by one's peer group is the ultimate deterrent.

If those Leg Three States are correct, then a Streets and Trips optimized route to get them all is 4800 miles.

Take out Denver and Austin and you have 3800 miles

Add Key West and San Ysidro to the 3800 miles and you get 4960

Take Carson City and Sacramento from that and you get 3950

So a Four Corners final leg could net the 4600 but miss out Sacramento, Carson City, Denver and Austin ... All likely high point Capitols

Baton Rouge, Austin, OKC, Denver, Sante Fe, Phoenix and Ontario is 2,680 miles. Denver is way out of the way. And that still leaves out the oddballs in CA and NV.

Spotwalla is KILLING me ! Here I sit @ home now...after 8 hrs of working (of course keeping up w/ the forum)...now I'm 1.5 miles from I-64 and could watch riders go by on way to L-ville....and Spot is so delayed that I can't catch a glimps of the IBR riders. I might as well be in Timbuktu. Well, at least I have you all to watch and learn :)

Anyone else here expecting there to be an all 48 capitals super bonus worth 4800 or 9600 or something crazy on leg 3 making the 4 corners and Hyder wasted time?

That is my long shot bet at the mind screw we all know is coming.
Ouch! Just had to check this, I ran a definitely "non-optimised" of exactly that, based on the "base route" on page #1 here and came up with about 14,000 miles. What becomes immediately apparent is, as mentioned above, the capitols that are off-route take a huge amout of time to get to in The West. Denver and Salt Lake City appear to be the wild cards as to wether to get them on the northern or southern legs.

Is 14,000 achievable?

My recollection was a 48 capitals route ran right around 12,000 miles

Add another ~500 for reaching checkpoints and you are right in line with a typical top ten route mileage.
Close. S&T has a non-optimised route of about 12,500 miles. CP #2 and the finish are out of line and cause a lot of doubling back. Finish in Sac and it can be done

Cheyenne and SLC were capitals for Leg 1, judging from the number of people who headed there. I don't believe Denver was, as I watched one rider hop over just far enough into CO to grab the state, but not the capital.

So far, I believe these capitals are on Leg 1: WA, OR, MT, ID, UT, WY, ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, OH, KY, PA...and possibly NY (though I doubt it). That's based on seeing at least one rider go in as far to the capital...instead of just grabbing the state and continuing on. Now, I may have missed some riders while sleeping, so this is only based on what I have witnessed.

That leaves the following states capitals: NY (?), VT, ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC, TN, GA, FL, AL, MS, AR, LA, OK, TX, CO, NM, AZ, NV, CA.

Leg 2 possible states: NY (?), VT, ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC, TN, GA, FL

Leg 3 possible states: AL, MS, AR, LA, OK, TX, CO, NM, AZ, NV, CA

Anyone want to do the routing needed to snag those capital bonuses in relation to the alloted leg time?
I come up with 6,300 miles or so with the states you listed (for leg one). Maybe Utah and Kentucky are on leg three? They are the outliers if just a little. All interstate I think it would be doable for the top guys. Reading the Tom Austin's posts, Hyder to checkpoint in a straight line is 5,700. He is also hinting that winning mileage will be double previous qualifying rides? I think he's expecting somebody to come in with 15k+.

Doing an all 48 capitals seems to fit this bill while maximizing known bonii. Are any of the tracked riders attempting something like this?

I've been sitting here all quite like, eyes closed, trying to channel the Hyder crew.....

shhhhh.....

connecting...

Got them.... Too busy to talk... WTF?!?

Sooo ... like every good columnist, I'll make the shit up:

They went to Hyder because at face value it seemed one big short-term, compact two day 2,000 mile blast to

Hyder and back was less work and energy than getting the very spread out 4 corners. Their planning and best

guesses showed that a top finisher will need at least one of the 4800 point bonuses. They also felt

they could make-up good time over the top 9 states to Lake Michigan. Screw the capitals until legs 2 and 3.

The best laid plans are often thwarted by border crossings... :( too bad.

Be prepared to take a few sleep penalties in Buffalo.

Personally, I think the top finishers will have 4,800 pts from Hyder and hi point capitals on leg 2 and 3.

Going to Key West is a major detour that far into the homestretch... and what about the traffic and humidity... death blow.

I think Cheyenne is only available on leg 1 - unless they change the rules.

I come up with 6,300 miles or so with the states you listed (for leg one). Maybe Utah and Kentucky are on leg three? They are the outliers if just a little. All interstate I think it would be doable for the top guys. Reading the Tom Austin's posts, Hyder to checkpoint in a straight line is 5,700. He is also hinting that winning mileage will be double previous qualifying rides? I think he's expecting somebody to come in with 15k+.

Doing an all 48 capitals seems to fit this bill while maximizing known bonii. Are any of the tracked riders attempting something like this?
I'm pretty sure UT is on Leg 1 judging by the four or five guys I saw swarming it earlier in the rally.

KY is a definite Leg 1 bonus, since one of the guys I am following hit it earlier, and three guys are on it now. No point hitting it now when they could have just crossed over to Louisville to get the state of KY. No...they're doing it for points, and it looks like is may be worth something for the number of guys it drew south.

Warchild,

Do you know what held Dick Peek up at the northern border? Was it the usual random bullshit or did they not like the look of something on his mount?

Thx,

Bob

Also...I cannot see capital bonus points being higher on Leg 2. I just can't. I haven't plugged in a route to snag all of the capitals for only Leg 2 versus the time to get to CP2, but most of the bonus locations don't seem to be too far off the route from CP1 to CP2. Of course, I haven't really crunched everything yet. That'll have to wait till I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.