2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could fatigue be clouding # 130's judgement or am I missing something here.
The latter.... this rider just slept many hours near Harrisburg... and is surely well-rested.

As others have alluded to, I suspect #130 has an particular agenda that we all are simply not privy to yet.

This rider is a fairly seasoned vet, so it'll be interesting to watch what happens here... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Annapolis is the capital of Maryland and 130's current route will probably put him on the wrong side of the Chesapeake for Annapolis but the correct side to head for Dover, DE. Of course he is right along the Mason-Dixon line which is where he wants to be if he/she is just be trying to pick up the two states and is not after the state capitals.

My guess is he simply bought off more than he can chew. Most likely planned a highly aggressive route going to Madagascar, or Mogadishu, or whatever it is in Maine before the Buffalo checkpoint, then hit the fatigue wall and realzied he couldn't do it. Now as a result, has all the time in the world to get to the checkpoint. If that is the case, it is going to be a long 24 hours for the poor bastard as he rides around aimlessly before the checkpoint punching holes in the landscape pondering just how badly he has screwed the pooch. Believe me, I have been there before and it is NOT fun. :(

There was heavy weather east and north of Harrisburg that may have played a factor in the route south

Annapolis is the capital of Maryland and 130's current route will probably put him on the wrong side of the Chesapeake for Annapolis but the correct side to head for Dover, DE. Of course he is right along the Mason-Dixon line which is where he wants to be if he/she is just be trying to pick up the two states and is not after the state capitals.
Though I don't know, I seriously doubt those capitals are in play on leg 1. And my guess is he is only picking up some unnecessary states simply because he has nothing else better to do. (See my previous post)

The latter.... this rider just slept many hours near Harrisburg... and is surely well-rested.

As others have alluded to, I suspect #130 has an particular agenda that we all are simply not privy to yet.

This rider is a fairly seasoned vet, so it'll be interesting to watch what happens here... B)

Dover, Trenton, Albany, Cheektowaga maybe?

SkooterG Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:49 PMMy guess is he simply bought off more than he can chew. Most likely planned a highly aggressive route going to Madagascar, or Mogadishu, or whatever it is in Maine before the Buffalo checkpoint, then hit the fatigue wall and realzied he couldn't do it. Now as a result, has all the time in the world to get to the checkpoint. If that is the case, it is going to be a long 24 hours for the poor bastard as he rides around aimlessly before the checkpoint punching holes in the landscape pondering just how badly he has screwed the pooch. Believe me, I have been there before and it is NOT fun. :(

IBA #327
130 might have enough time to pickup the following states and still make Checkpoint #1

• Maryland
  • Delaware
  • New Jersey
  • Connecticut
  • Rhode Island
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Maine
  • New York

Unfortunately since most of this would be done over night 130 could not get any of the state capitals.

Looks like the Harley ridden by Darrin Hicks just shit the bed.... :(

He is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa with some kind of electrical problem, waiting for the local dealer to pick him up....
Apparently, the electrical problem had to due with an aftermarket voltage regulator that Darrin had installed earlier this year. They will bolt up a stock R/R, and Darrin should be back on the road shortly.
Aftermarket crap tends to make ANY bike unreliable.

I thought they can still get the state capitols, but at 10% lower point value?
Yes, though I believe it is a 10 *point* deduction, not 10%.

Still, I will bet *a whole dollar* that most, if not all of those capitals are NOT available on leg 1.

130 is on the NJ Turnpike heading North. It looks like my guess that he might be going to pickup New England before arriving at Checkpoint # 1 was a good one.

Dover, Trenton, Albany, Cheektowaga maybe?

For all the speculation that Dover, Trenton, Annapolis etc. are not available as capitol bonuses on leg one, we really don't know.

I was thinking the same thing, but then something else crossed my mind.

Maybe they are available on this leg, but what if they are also available on another leg for more points, provided that a rider didn't already claim them?

I don't recall anything saying that a capitol couldn't be a bonus on multiple legs and for different point values per leg (though I would assume that once a rider claimed a capitol, they could not do so a second time.)

For example, I think we'd all assume that Olympia was an easy, small points bonus on leg 1. What if it's also a huge points bonus on leg 3 for riders that didn't already claim it on leg 1?

Personally, of all the capitols, I'd think that Trenton and Boston would be the biggest concerns. Boston is a disaster to drive in at any time, and Trenton, in addition to the traffic on the NYC/Philly corridor is regularly one of the most crime-ridden cities in the US, meaning I'd not personally want to take my expensive rally bike with even more expensive LD gear there at certain times of he night (and I've ridden in Nuevo Laredo on a B2B.)

130 is on the NJ Turnpike heading North. It looks like my guess that he might be going to pickup New England before arriving at Checkpoint # 1 was a good one.
I don't get it. If those capitals aren't in play, there is no use going to those states especially if they are expecting to pick them up when they are in play during Leg 2. 130 seems to be going for the capital bonus points judging by how they were snatching up the high-point capitals, so I doubt they'd pick up states now when they can later during bonus hunting. I don't know which capitals are in play right now, but it doesn't seem like the New Englsnd state capitals would be since it makes more sense (to me at least) that they'd be during Leg 2.

With roughly 16 hours remaining, it is clear that riders are starting to earnestly push northeast toward the Buffalo area...

16hoursleft_1.jpg

Going to be very interesting to see how the end of Leg One plays out... :D

Dale, without divulging too much, can you tell us how the alaska 3 are doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.