2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Franks and Beans!

Got to chuckle at a couple of the photos on the scorecards. Two riders posed as if they had access to a time machine and mugged based on their results after Leg One. Meese has that crazyman face you'd expect from someone that rode balls out the way he did. Killer. Then poor Cameron - just exactly the mug you'd make if you just knew you were going to dick it up your receipts like that.
Actually, these Scorecard photos were taken when they were still fresh, during registration, two days before the start. :D
Yeah, that's what I meant about the time machine. Even though these pictures were taken before the rally, they look a lot like what you'd expect if they were taken after Leg One. I guess I wasn't clear.

Regardless, the pix are poster children, prolly and literally, for the role of attitude and outlook in the outcome of the IBR.

odd that the 2001 score cards are so close to the same riders as in the 2011 rally. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
After complaining of the freezing temperature in the IBR staff room late Friday night, Lisa Landry was thrilled to discover that one of the riders had left their jacket in the scoring room before retiring. The keys to a Honda were in one of the pockets of the jacket. There may be some serious reward money to be made tomorrow morning when the absent-minded rider frantically starts looking for their jacket and keys.
Man, I feel sorry for whoever it is that left their jacket behind... with the keys!! Lack of focus setting in?

Looking at the Scorecards it seems that they only show the bonuii that were claimed. What they do not show is which States the riders have visited, nor do they show whether or not Riders have picked up two Corners.

For example .... We had a rumour that Ken Meese had grabbed Madawaska, but the scorecard wouldn't show that either way.

Lots and lots of unknowns. If there is a mid-field runner after Leg 1 that has two corners already, but only a modest points score from State Capitols, that runner could jump very high at the end if they can grab Key West on Leg two.

The Four Corners still seems like a big ask, given the State Capital bonuses should be highest on Leg Three (more States well off the base route), but a rider grabbing Key West this leg might be handily placed at the finish.

Just a few random thoughts.

By the way ..... If Meese did somehow get Madawaska on the 1st Leg, he might be almost impossible to catch by anyone other than Peek, given that Sinclair blew off Oregon, and will need it on Leg Three.

Addiction? .......I keep checking my friend's SPOT like every 10 minutes when possible. How far do I really think the icon will be from the last point of the track when I last looked. Signed, hoping there's wifi on my next flight.

Brister is not DNF, he just accumulated more penalties than points. Click his name to see the scorecard details.
Bummer, he lost receipts for three states, and had problems with receipts (missing city/state/date/time/odo) on two others. Details can't be overlooked in the IBR if you expect to be counted as a finisher. BTW, the rules allow for a missing state receipt if the IBR staff can ascertain that you did in fact go through a state by looking at other states you visited (ie lost WA receipt but we know you were in WA since the rally started there).
Glad you mentioned that, because I was going to ask that question - if a missing receipt would require a rider to have to backtrack to some out-of-the way state to prove they were there.

Just checked into a hotel room, uploaded the photos I took today at the Checkpoint here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mdisher/IBRNYCheckpoint1

Iggy was riding in to get his check point so I asked for a TWN Salute:

DSC_1175.JPG

Things I learned.

Meese (Hyder Rider) allegedly also got the upper north east of the 4 corners. (though he could be posturing only Warchild knows for sure and he's likely not saying ;)

Everyone pretty much agreed they were riding for 4th place, that all the Hyder riders have the first leg knock out punch, or at least they feel that way. Consensus of the ones I talked to didn't *think* capitol values would change but they did feel like they would be other boni options.

Harrisburg, on leg one was the largest capitol bonus at 1000, all others were less. But if that maybe posted already, I haven't had a chance to review the last 36 hours on the forum.
I wonder how many IBR riders picked up Smoke Chasing Grand Tour spots while coming across the country? :rolleyes: That could have made for an interesting extra bonus category. :p

DSC_1103.JPG

Hey, I rode 300 miles in 15 hours yesterday, anyone wanna hear my long-winded diatribe of the epic ride? :blink:

...Go Wendy!...

Brister is not DNF, he just accumulated more penalties than points. Click his name to see the scorecard details.
Bummer, he lost receipts for three states, and had problems with receipts (missing city/state/date/time/odo) on two others. Details can't be overlooked in the IBR if you expect to be counted as a finisher. BTW, the rules allow for a missing state receipt if the IBR staff can ascertain that you did in fact go through a state by looking at other states you visited (ie lost WA receipt but we know you were in WA since the rally started there).
Glad you mentioned that, because I was going to ask that question - if a missing receipt would require a rider to have to backtrack to some out-of-the way state to prove they were there.
There are a bunch of ways the IBA could verify a State, Spot and GPS Track Logs being two of them. They might also attach some very large penalties if you make the Scorers have to work so hard :)

It is so easy to lose a receipt, or not check the details. Don't ask me how I lost my wallet on a (successful) SS1000 attempt!!

For example .... We had a rumour that Ken Meese had grabbed Madawaska, but the scorecard wouldn't show that either way.
Perhaps a simple mapping exercise is indicated. ;)

If we start in Seattle, go to Hyder, return via the US to collect states, continuing to Madawaska, and then return southwest to Cheektowaga.... what is that mileage? :)

If we start in Seattle, go to Hyder, return via the US to collect states, continuing to Madawaska, and then return southwest to Cheektowaga.... what is that mileage? :)
Putting in the bonuses listed on his score card plus Madawaska, 7143. He's playing head games with someone, maybe he's not as addled as we think :lol:

Putting in the bonuses listed on his score card plus Madawaska, 7143. He's playing head games with someone, maybe he's not as addled as we think :lol:
being addled doesn't preclude playing head games with those who are willing to listen.

See how eager everyone is to do the math?? :D

So ... Game on, no clear advantage to anyone yet ... certainly no winning strategy.

In addition to growing her hair back - Miss KItty sure has a lot of miles for not so many capitals...

Who bets she smells like moose road kill?

My pick to win.

She must be good - she always beats me. :lol:

Holy Sh!t. Do we have some riders headed for Goose Bay? Surely not. That would be impossible in 3 days. 3890 miles Buffalo-Goose Bay - Jacksonville.

Talk about sadistic.

Maybe Pearce Rock ala 2007?

Holy Sh!t. Do we have some riders headed for Goose Bay? Surely not. That would be impossible in 3 days. 3890 miles Buffalo-Goose Bay - Jacksonville.

Talk about sadistic.

Maybe Pearce Rock ala 2007?
I think they are taking the short route to Madawaska.

lol ... But who knows?

Nope - probably heading to Madawaska. A quick look at google maps shows that going through Canada is the quickest way from Buffalo.

Nope - probably heading to Madawaska. A quick look at google maps shows that going through Canada is the quickest way from Buffalo.
Ah ... that makes a lot more sense.

Our local hero Mike Mehaffy must have been kicking himself last night. If not for his penalties ... being late to the checkpoint and apparently losing a State receipt ... he'd be in 4th place right now behind the Hyder contingent. :(

In addition to growing her hair back - Miss KItty sure has a lot of miles for not so many capitals...

Who bets she smells like moose road kill?

My pick to win.

She must be good - she always beats me. :lol:

Where is the "like button"? :clapping: :rockwoot:

Status
Not open for further replies.