2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, doing the same exercise for other riders, did any of them get enough miles to snag corner two based on their collected bonii?
That sounds like an excellent homework assignment for you! Let us know the results when you are done.

:)
Not that tough to figure out. A route that includes OR and picks up a Meese like minimum northern states, out to Madawaska and in to the checkpoint would be a tick over 5400 miles. So yes a few riders could have done that based on their leg one mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I rode 300 miles in 15 hours yesterday, anyone wanna hear my long-winded diatribe of the epic ride? :blink:

...Go Wendy!...
No that is an epic CBA ride but post it in another thread and sure it will get hundreds of followers :rolleyes: . BTW, I'm pulling for BB Neely since anyone who can start the IBR with his LD comfort shorts on backwards definitely has it all together :clapping: . :yahoo: .

doctorj

***BIG SNIP***

My take:

- Meese and Peek CLEARLY have a big advantage. Without point values going up on leg 2 like I thought they would, all they need to do is gather up their states, and a few capitals on leg 2. There are no 'Hyder' knock-out punch type bonuses on leg 2 so they don't have to worry about anyone making significant ground on them. If either of them scored Blaine, WA, and are going for the 4-corners they may damn well be un-stoppable. Leg 3 rally listing is key to this. What surprises does it have, or doesn't have?

- Somebody commented on the monster miles Meese did. Yet, two non-Alaska riders were within 100 miles of his total! And a bunch of riders with serious 5000+ miles. I would say that any of the riders who did more than 5000-5200 miles put in a huge ride and may be suffering because of it. In fact, I'll go so far as to say the miles the Hyder boys did are 'easier' miles as they had less weather, traffic, heat and humidity to deal with than those scarfing up the capitals in the midwest.
^^^This

Agree 100% about the easier miles, at least before the major rains set in. Unless someone got the Maine corner prior to the 1st checkpoint, I don't see how Meese and Peek are caught. I assume they can make up State Capitol bonus points on the 2nd and 3rd legs to offset whatever points the non-Hyder, 4 Corners guys picked up on leg 1. Of course, all of this assumes no crazy all-in type bonus on leg 3 but since we didn't see any hint of that yet (in fact it appears that even the State Capitol bonus points are in line with leg 1) I'm thinking these two can only beat themselves.

- Tim

Maybe #921 is formerly #184 who appeared to pick up all the NE states on leg one and is taking the fast way to JAX?

Maybe #921 is formerly #184 who appeared to pick up all the NE states on leg one and is taking the fast way to JAX?
You mean #130 from yesterday, not #184 :)

As I remember, #130 didn't go to Madawaska, so that would mean no Alaska and no 4 Corners.

Okay... I hate to tease y'all with insider info that I really can't share, but.... holy fucking shut, see Rider #638 way high north, arching toward Madawaska?

Based upon this rider's Leg 1 performance and subsequent standings, I would have NEVER, EVER GUESSED this individual was a 4-Corners player! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Add to that.... when this snapshot was taken (11:40PDT today), this rider was well ahead of some very Big Dawgs.... like, every one, in fact!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Daaaaaaayumn... Rider #638.... let's remember that number for this leg.... :D
I see Rider 638 is heading south at good speed. I would have thought Hwy 2 in Canada would have been quicker than Hwy 1. Come back into the US on Hwy 95. Hummm

I see Rider 638 is heading south at good speed. I would have thought Hwy 2 in Canada would have been quicker than Hwy 1. Come back into the US on Hwy 95. Hummm
He still needs to pick up all the northeastern states, and possibly capitals for points.

Anybody else got there fantasy leg 1 done?

Mine gives me 4746 points, good for 12th. 5800 miles. Capitols: WA, OR, ID, WY, SD, MN, WI, MN and PA. I also touch all the leg 1 states except KS & MO. I added touches for NJ, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME and VT.

Also grabbed both northern corners.

I gave myself the Call-in bonus and an 8 hour rest for 480 points.

Do I have that rest bonus right, max 8 hours (480 minutes) for 1 point per minute? And what was the rule for when it had to be taken by?

It looks like a do-able route, but 5800 is an assload of miles, more than anybody else did. Not sure that's realistic.

I plan to skip New England in Leg 2 unless there are very high point Capitols, and intend to get Key West before Checkpoint 2.

He still needs to pick up all the northeastern states, and possibly capitals for points.
Hwy 2 comes down the east side & Hwy 95 would put him on line for the northeastern states.

It looks like Rider 12 is crossing the boarder now to head north on Canada Hwy 2.

Either way, that loops sure eats up some serious time.

So a straight run ... Buffalo - Madawaska - Key West - Jacksonville is 3367 miles.

I am wondering how many miles extra will be needed to grab the required States along the way, ignoring the State Capitols .... Leaving Leg three to go get what will be high value State Capitols as they move back West.

I agree with skooter as well. The Hyder 3 have a clear advantage right now. But After they get leg 3 bonus list, who the f knows?

My guess is Meese crushes the capitols list on this leg.

Sorry to ask a dumb question here, folks, but how are the rest bonuses calculated and more importantly, verified?
and on this, how can a rider do leg 1 and not claim/collect a rest bonus? See Colin/rider posn 54 leg 1 results.

What? he didn't sleep the min 2 hrs, or forgot to report or couldn't document or ???

Sorry to ask a dumb question here, folks, but how are the rest bonuses calculated and more importantly, verified?
and on this, how can a rider do leg 1 and not claim/collect a rest bonus? See Colin/rider posn 54 leg 1 results.

What? he didn't sleep the min 2 hrs, or forgot to report or couldn't document or ???
Maybe he forgot to "claim" it.

We already heard how everyone was eligible for the Call In bonus, but one rider didn't claim it.

Little things like that paint a picture of just how tough this event is.

So the Riders have about 60 hours until the penalties start in Jacksonville.

The direct route to pick up Madawaska and Key West is 3367 miles ... a 55mph average speed. BBG average is 62.5mph, which would give an extra 400 miles to "mop-up" States along the route.

Is anyone fit enough to do this? If one of them happened to be Peek or Meese, they would have a massive lead going into the third leg .... But that's a very tough pace.

Get a time stamped receipt at the start and end of your rest from the same city. No bonus hunting during that time frame.

We already heard how everyone was eligible for the Call In bonus, but one rider didn't claim it.

"Failure to Claim" generally means you did what you were supposed to do EXCEPT, you didn't do it in the rally book where you claim your points.

Been there done that, and it sucks, in a big way.

Some guys don't log directly into the rally book. They might on a scroll chart, other log book, their route plan, or simply note the info on the receipt. Writing directly into the rally book can cost time, and put the rally book at risk of being lost, damaged, etc. Or maybe it was pouring down rain when and they thought I won't forget that I called in.

One hopes to get everything right when you reconcile your paperwork at the end of the rally/checkpoint, but when your "meat on a stick" it's really, really easy to overlook stuff. :/

At first glance, I thought this rally didn't demand much strategic thinking. I was wrong. A rider who built a strategy around the 4-corners and a big Leg 3 would be way behind right now. They need not just good strategic thinking, but also the guts to stick with it when others seem way ahead.

there are few things that will make the floor seem to fall out from under a rider than to be asked, "are you ready to score? you're sure? you have everything you need?" and then remember some major shit you left in the saddle bag after it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.