2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he forgot to "claim" it.
We already heard how everyone was eligible for the Call In bonus, but one rider didn't claim it.

Little things like that paint a picture of just how tough this event is.
there are few things that will make the floor seem to fall out from under a rider than to be asked, "are you ready to score? you're sure? you have everything you need?" and then remember some major shit you left in the saddle bag after it's too late.
I watched as Michael Hickman scored a Rally.

He very carefully reminded each rider of every item they needed, then asked if they were ready.

It seemed pernickity at the time, but now makes a great deal of sense.

I'm a novice at this but looking at the results, it seems George Barker is running a smart rally. More points than miles. He chose the eight highest point capitals, although why he missed Olympia leaves me curious.

It looks like most riders will be taking the NJ Turnpike South through New Jersey. I think I'll go out to the highway and try to get a few pictures of the IBR riders going by. My camera is not the best so the results may not be too good.

A couple of us went to a New England state house today and were able to watch about 25 riders claim the bonus. All were in very good spirits, although for one rider it resulted in a ticket for cutting across part of a sidewalk (to avoid having to back out of a parking space, up a slight incline into some heavy downtown traffic). I will post some pics after the field has left this area.

Well then...wipe UT off my Leg 1 route and add it to Leg 3.
As my Zumo would say, "Recalculating"
Now its 6k on leg one, 3,900 on leg 2 and 5,500 on leg three. 15,200 total.

Links to google maps where you can move things around, there are defiantly some routing I think could be better.

Leg one

Leg two

Leg three

Wow
By my count, getting all the capitals on the first leg would be 4692 points, add in 480 for rest and 250 for call in gives my fantasy route 5422 possible points. Seems like not enough for 6k miles. Miniscule points for capitals in MT, ND and NE hurt, knocking those off plus KY can knock off about 1,000 miles but that takes away any possible 48 capitals bonus. With some serious detailed routing I think the first leg could be done in 5500 miles for about a point a mile. That would be good for fourth place, ahead of all non-Hyder players. This also leaves nothing outstanding for legs 2 and 3.

Is there a possibility of a bonus at the end for an all 48 capitals ride or would something like that have to be announced at the start like the 4 corners?

It may not be enough to catch Meese but I still think it would make for a very solid strategy since it allows 11 days worth of planning at once and seems to be scoring fairly well.

I'm currently refreshing the IBR page link constantly anxiously waiting for the leg one bonus listing to be published.

Man that sucks about John Coons. He kicked ass in the IBR5K. Glad to hear he is expected to make a complete recovery.

Score a few pictures this morning of the riders heading east on the NYS Tway through Herkimer, NY. As usual in Central NY more rain.

.....anxiously waiting for the leg one bonus listing to be published.
Me too. Without seeing a leg 1 rally pack yet, I want to see how my proposed route will work. I think it was possible to get the two corners of the 4 corner tour bonus along with OR, get upper tier West/Midwest states, along with VT/NH. Option exists, if I can gain 30/45 minutes over the leg time schedule, to also nab RI, CT, and MA. I'm using rally pace from my previous rally experiences with nightly sleeps, a 5000 mile route. I'd like to know the capitol values, and how that plays in to routing strategy. I don't know how the points would come out yet. I think KW on leg 2 is important, leaving more time on leg 3 for bigger points. Armchair speculation for now....watching rider 921, and if he heads to KW that means he nabbed Madawaska and some New England states on leg 1. Need the rally packet to finish the armchair speculating, and probably to totally trash my theory.

The statement from IBR staff is some sort of hint, "Four corners tour is gold finish" Probably not first place, but maybe podium.

Me too. Without seeing a leg 1 rally pack yet, I want to see how my proposed route will work. I think it was possible to get the two corners of the 4 corner tour bonus along with OR, get upper tier West/Midwest states, along with VT/NH. Option exists, if I can gain 30/45 minutes over the leg time schedule, to also nab RI, CT, and MA. I'm using rally pace from my previous rally experiences with nightly sleeps, a 5000 mile route. I'd like to know the capitol values, and how that plays in to routing strategy. I don't know how the points would come out yet. I think KW on leg 2 is important, leaving more time on leg 3 for bigger points. Armchair speculation for now....watching rider 921, and if he heads to KW that means he nabbed Madawaska and some New England states on leg 1. Need the rally packet to finish the armchair speculating, and probably to totally trash my theory.

The statement from IBR staff is some sort of hint, "Four corners tour is gold finish" Probably not first place, but maybe podium.
I think there have been quite a few hints in the rally packs and postings at the IBR site

If 921 was 130 yesterday ... who did cruise around New England .... I don't think he made Madawaska. That would leave his strategy of going for as many of the State Capitols as possible, and hoping they would be enough.

Of course, 921 may be another rider entirely and if that's the case then the strategy is indecipherable at the moment.

I think there have been quite a few hints in the rally packs and postings at the IBR site
By reading the results from a few riders, I was able to figure out the leg one bonus list- at least which states were included and the capital values.

Man that sucks about John Coons. He kicked ass in the IBR5K. Glad to hear he is expected to make a complete recovery.
Yes that really does suck but I couldn't be happier that he will heal up. I was sick this morning hearing that he had been hurt and was in the hospital and not knowing how bad it might be. That's the second time I've been down that path in the last couple of weeks and I don't like it one bit :glare: No more crashing allowed :big_boss:

I'll be headed down to Mayo to check on him as soon as he's there and can take visitors. We might even stop by Bob's Smoke Stack BBQ and see if we can sneak some ribs in for him :p

I was looking at Chris Sakala's scorecard and noticed that he was not credited with a call-in bonus for the first leg??? According to the Day 3 report:

"As far as we know, all riders are doing okay as of the end of Day 3. All 87 riders successfully made their Call-In bonus. (This is an Iron Butt Rally first.)"

If his point total was corrected to account for this he would be in fourth position with 5262 points.

I was looking at Chris Sakala's scorecard and noticed that he was not credited with a call-in bonus for the first leg??? According to the Day 3 report:

"As far as we know, all riders are doing okay as of the end of Day 3. All 87 riders successfully made their Call-In bonus. (This is an Iron Butt Rally first.)"

If his point total was corrected to account for this he would be in fourth position with 5262 points.
I believe he made a mistake and forgot to claim it on his score sheet. I learned that lesson, fill in everything in the score sheet as you go (date, time, miles, location, etc). I looked at all the riders score sheets and several forgot to claim the call in bonus.

Speaking of points, looking at the points for capitols shows that they are very low value overall. I can start to see that AK grab could be a good point score, those key west points are going to be hard. I would rather stay north and cooler then bloody hot as hell FL.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they said he forgot to claim it at scoring.

From Tom Austin's day 6 report:

"Chris Sakala is in 5th place with 5,012 points. Chris bagged 15 of the capitals available on leg 1 in addition to a maximum 480 minute/point rest bonus. Chris, who is normally flawless in documenting his rides, failed to get the 250 point call-in bonus because he failed to claim it."

It looks like most riders will be taking the NJ Turnpike South through New Jersey. I think I'll go out to the highway and try to get a few pictures of the IBR riders going by. My camera is not the best so the results may not be too good.
No go for the pictures on the Turnpike. I would not use a flash as someone rides by and it is too dark to shoot by available light as vehicles wiz by at highway speeds.

According to Spotwalla, Rider 263 is in a motel 5 minutes from my abode. I could always run over and shoot a picture of his parked motor but I wouldn't publish it until everyone gets to Checkpoint 2. I won't be surprised with the delay in Spotwalla if I get over there and don't find a parked motor.

Day 5 report on the IBR site says Chris failed to claim the call-in bonus.

Stan_M

Status
Not open for further replies.