2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IBR RIDER NEEDS HELP!!

It does sound to me that she needs a new set of chain/sprockets ASAP, as her current chain is to the point where she can no longer maintain any type of adjustment.. I trust Eric is lighting up all the appropriate BMW forums, etc to see if someone currently near her has a spare set to donate to the cause.

Bummer. We always, always, ALWAYS start a long rally with fresh chain/sprockets... not sure what's the deal here, but I am bumming for Cletha... :(
I sent Eric an Email Bob's BMW in Jessup MD has an emergency number on the phone, BMW Charleston and BMW Daytona are both open on Monday. Charleston and Daytona are both prolly willing to help a IB rider.

I know that BMW Dealers usually bend over backwards to help travelers and IB riders, however Charleston is also a Honda dealer so not to sure how that works.

What is the experience of the Yamaha riders in dealing with traveling riders?

Looks like they're rolling thru Annapolis this morning. Bummer, as I have a house full of relatives for a family reunion, otherwise I'd be up there. Lucky to break away and keep checking the updates.

Beautiful morning in this area. And not the typical high humidity and heat. Lucky for the riders we had a front come thru and cool things off (relatively speaking).

Hmmm....rethinking, most of the riders will hit town later in the day. Maybe our visitors will be out of the house and can catch the later riders and shoot some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
921 can get VA, NC, SC, GA, FL capitals, then Key West before Jax, albeit with little rest and hoping for decent traffic. At least KW would be in the early morning hours...It may have been prudent to forego Richmond and just take the state to leave more time for KW. At least, from where I sit!
All of that, Jim, except Tallahassee. Fla. Capitol is not available on 2nd Leg.
I did not know that. Then it makes KW an easier proposition.

Are the leg/capital availabilities public knowledge, or do you have access to inside knowledge? I don't think I've seen this info published anywhere...

It's been my, long-term, experience that dealers, in general, and especially the guys in the back room (mechanics) want to help those with mechanical problems who are "out-there-doing-it."

I think they 'identify' with the rider and would hope for similar treatment?

IBR RIDER NEEDS HELP!!

It does sound to me that she needs a new set of chain/sprockets ASAP, as her current chain is to the point where she can no longer maintain any type of adjustment.. I trust Eric is lighting up all the appropriate BMW forums, etc to see if someone currently near her has a spare set to donate to the cause.

Bummer. We always, always, ALWAYS start a long rally with fresh chain/sprockets... not sure what's the deal here, but I am bumming for Cletha... :(
I sent Eric an Email Bob's BMW in Jessup MD has an emergency number on the phone, BMW Charleston and BMW Daytona are both open on Monday. Charleston and Daytona are both prolly willing to help a IB rider.

I know that BMW Dealers usually bend over backwards to help travelers and IB riders, however Charleston is also a Honda dealer so not to sure how that works.

I stopped in at Bob's last Saturday to test ride an S1000RR (awesome bike - may become my first beemer after passing (that's passing, with an 'a') on a K1200GT in favor of the FJR) and heard that a Bob's customer is in the IBR. (edit - I guess that's "Hello Kitty") So I know they are watching, mebbe even here. Just in case, I sent a guy at Bob's an email to see if they can help on the chain and schprockets.

Shirley a BMW can't chew up a brand new chain and schprockets in only 6000 miles. Shirley those were brand new parts last Monday. Shirley?

Shirley a BMW can't chew up a brand new chain and schprockets in only 6000 miles.
Less than that if they are not aligned properly. The swingarm marks on my F650 were almost 1/4 inch off. Chain broke and wrapped around the wheel. December 27, Carlsbad, New Mexico. No one around, nothing open. That was a long wait for the rescue van.

That's kind of hard to answer. When one breaks down, we'll let you know. ;)

Back to the rally news...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I just had to acknowledge one.

Now, back to the rally news...
LOL

My personal experience has been that BMW/Hardley Abelson dealers are far much more willing to help than the big 4 dealers. There are some bright spots out there, but smaller independent shops like CycleCrazy in NC are far much more helpful. Of course my issues have only been 'tire' related, and didn't involve stealing parts from new bikes or anything. But based on other reports and experiences, at least Yam/Kaw/Suzuki dealerships are more retail related than service related.

YMMV

Shirley a BMW can't chew up a brand new chain and schprockets in only 6000 miles. Shirley those were brand new parts last Monday. Shirley?
Well... one would hope that's the case, ASSume that's the case, but.... the evidence suggests otherwise.

This bike doesn't make dick for horsepower, so it ain't like the chain got overworked. And the chain/sprockets would have had to have been a right fair amount off of alignment, if that was the cause of it going bad after only 6K miles....

No... my speculation is that she did not depart Seattle with a fresh set of chain/sprockets. It true, that's very unfortunate. :(

...Shirley a BMW can't chew up a brand new chain and schprockets in only 6000 miles. Shirley those were brand new parts last Monday. Shirley?

Surely you jest...and don't call me Shirley.
No, if I were jesting, I'd have said:

BMW Design Engineering Roster:

Engine Design: Hans

Chassis Design: Fritz

Suspension Design: Franz

Final Drive Design: Cletus

921 can get VA, NC, SC, GA, FL capitals, then Key West before Jax, albeit with little rest and hoping for decent traffic. At least KW would be in the early morning hours...It may have been prudent to forego Richmond and just take the state to leave more time for KW. At least, from where I sit!
All of that, Jim, except Tallahassee. Fla. Capitol is not available on 2nd Leg.
I did not know that. Then it makes KW an easier proposition.

Are the leg/capital availabilities public knowledge, or do you have access to inside knowledge? I don't think I've seen this info published anywhere...
Either Dale mentioned it, or Tom Austin in one of the Reports. Nope, no inside knowledge here. I have email contact with a few "insiders", but I have not asked them anything. They have enough to do right now without any dumb questions from me :D

It was Tom:

The most direct route from Checkpoint 1 in Cheektowaga, New York, to Checkpoint 2 in Jacksonville, Florida, is only 1053 miles. Total time from when the bonus listings were handed out this morning until the opening of the Jacksonville checkpoint at 5:00 pm on Monday is 61 hours (just over 2 ½ days). About 1,800 miles is required to document visits to all 14 states on leg 2 of the base route (which does not include Florida). Still, there is plenty of time available to pick up a lot of capital bonuses.

Well, busted loose and rode up to the Statehouse in Annapolis. Forgot the main road from Rt 50 is closed right near hear, with a small but slow detour to get to State Circle. Wonder if they will come all the way in or take a pic from further out.

Hopefully I can get spotwalla on my phone.

Edit: S.A just arrived. Had a quick chat. He looks in good shape. Said the detour screwed his GPS. Plus the Race Across America bicycle race arrived here yesterday. Add that to the typical touris crowd and it can be slow. But I think the points are worth it.

this is all based on my (often misinterpreted) understanding of events. BMW mechs told her that their chains never need lubing (or maybe adjusting) and that replacement was a dealer service item only. when tools were recommended as items for the rally, she refused since she wouldn't know how to use them and "the dealer said". iiuc it wasn't a new chain/sprocket set starting out either.

but i've been wrong before.

Do they have rally flags that they have to get in their photos of the capitals, or is it just a drive-by photo?
yes, that's right.

oh yeah... which is right?

DSC_1159.JPG

this is all based on my (often misinterpreted) understanding of event. BMW mechs told her that their chains never need lubing (or maybe adjusting) and that replacement was a dealer service item only. when tools were recommended items for the rally, she refused since she wouldn't know how to use them and "the dealer said". iiuc it wasn't a new chain/sprocket set starting out either.

but i've been wrong before.
Heh!

Well if the Dealer said that, then Eric didn't buy it entirely. I stood and watched as he adjusted and lubed Cletha's chain prior to the OK Prep Rally.

I'm highly confident Eric didn't buy it. It may have been a case of "not that extra weight" because she wouldn't have been able to affect repairs along the way. Like I qualified. A lot of what we're hearing (outside of Dale and Tom) isn't first hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.