2012 Hooterville/Arkansas ride - October 4-7

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, TM got up this morning feeling pretty stiff and facing 40 degrees and a 20 mph northwest winds. He wisely decided to get a U-Haul to make it on home. Unfortunately, after hours of searching we could find NO rental trucks in either Hannibal or Quincy. :angry:

He just headed north and west on the FJR to Des Moines where he hopes to connect with his wife who is bringing a trailer for the trip back to the really cold country. :p

Guess that's what makes riding an adventure. ;)

Home safe n sound, and no worse for the wear. Not sure what was worse though, doing tumbling exercises in MO or riding in the cold. Man did I fantasize about heated gear. So THAT's why you guys get that stuff.

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to share a few thoughts:

The first thought I had when it happened, was I felt like a horse's a$$. Absolutely stupid.

However, that first thought was fleeting. I quickly realized I was extremely fortunate. And it happened while riding with an exceptional group of guys. Smitty, Griff and Wheaton are some really cool headed cats. They didn't stand around asking what happened, they just went about their tasks quickly and effeciently. Calmed me down, kept me from moving too much before any injuries could be accessed (very little), picked up the few broken bike pieces and checked out the bike for ridability.

I have learned a lot from this forum about what an effective group ride is all about. On Friday I saw it first hand.

I have nothing but gratitude for you guys.

Another big freaking huge Thanks go out to ZZZZip (Skip) and his wife Gail. About 3 hours after leaving the Hooterville Gang, a thought came to mind "do I have that FJR Rider Assistance List with?" Now Skip became a victim of my drama queen melodramatics because I had remembered him as part of the Hooterville Gang from last year. Pretty sharp guy too, I don't think for a second he believed me when I told him I was doing Mach I when suddenly a herd of possums stampeded across the road in front of me. But heck, that's the story I'll tell my grandson....I think he might believe it.

Thank You Skip, the degree of hospitality you two showed me was far more than I expected.

All in all, I feel beat, ragged, chewed up and spit out. Come to think of it, that's about how I woulda felt had I gone to Tech Day in Owosso instead.

Hope you guys had a great day of riding in Arkansas. I'm hoping to make it next year again. Afterall, I have a certain curve to conquer now.

Hey Mike , I was bummed out after finding out about your get off. Sure glad you're relatively ok...

Hey Mike , I was bummed out after finding out about your get off. Sure glad you're relatively ok...
Thank you Petey. I was really looking forward to riding in ARK. But I get to ride another day, and I'm thinking Arkansas ain't going anywhere anytime soon. But first, there's a certain curve in MO who's as(s)phalt I've got to kick. ;)

Thank you Petey. I was really looking forward to riding in ARK. But I get to ride another day, and I'm thinking Arkansas ain't going anywhere anytime soon. But first, there's a certain curve in MO who's as(s)phalt I've got to kick. ;)
Easier to kick if you take that Can-Am tire off the rear. :p

Glad you're home safe and sound, Mike. If and when I go down I hope I take it like you did. You were quite the trooper.

Had fun riding with the rest of you guys. A little wet but still had a blast.

Glad your home Mike.. That zzzip is a great guy... Glad there was no bones sticking out... But I did see you blush a little when I was fondling your femur. :eek:

Did take the long way home this morning, 450 smiles today..

Great group, great fun. Thanks again Wheetie..

Smitty :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your home Mike.. That zzzip is a great guy... Glad there was no bones sticking out... But I did see you blush a little when I was fondling your femur. :eek:

No need to blush. Smitty is know for his fine femur fondling all over south Missouri and Northern Arkansas. ;) They're real friendly that way down there. :p

Kudos to zzzip for helping a fellow in need, good job Skip, I'm sure Mike was very glad and thankful for the good deed in a time of need... :friends:

No need to blush. Smitty is know for his fine femur fondling all over south Missouri and Northern Arkansas. ;) They're real friendly that way down there. :p
Yeah I was so grateful for the feel inspection, that I just had to give Smitty my nuts. ;)

Kudos to zzzip for helping a fellow in need, good job Skip, I'm sure Mike was very glad and thankful for the good deed in a time of need... :friends:
No biggie..... didn't do anything others wouldn't do. ;)

With more people on the forums, and more riders out there traveling more miles, maybe this is a good time to do a recruitment drive for more participants on the emergency assistance list. Seems like it hasn't grown much, but I could be wrong. How about some new blood, especially in some of the states lacking participants? :huh:

I need to update my stats, since I sold my m/c trailer over the weekend. :p

Got home today about 6 after Wheatie and I took one last shot at the twisties in Arkansas and Missouri. A great weekend of riding with some great guys. And of course, glad you're ok Mike. That stuff on your bike will buff out as they say.

Thanks everybody for a great group riding weekend. Got home today after 690 miles...the first 300 very fun. Sorry the weather didn't work out for everybody...the weather on Sunday and today was great. My front tire got Hooterized.

Lots of good stories and jokes all around. You had to be there to hear 'em. Smitty, you got anything?

It was fun riding with everybody...thanks again to all who came and acted on their best behaviour. Sorry Mike about your slippin and slidin. Glad you made out okay and got home.

Smitty was carrying your nuts around the rest of the weekend...do you want them back? He told us that they tasted "salty"...I'm not sure what that means...but you know Smitty, he'll try anything once.

Until next year...when someone new steps up and become the Hooterville organizer (as if there is anything organized about Hooterville).

Thanks everybody for a great group riding weekend. Got home today after 690 miles...the first 300 very fun. Sorry the weather didn't work out for everybody...the weather on Sunday and today was great. My front tire got Hooterized.

Lots of good stories and jokes all around. You had to be there to hear 'em. Smitty, you got anything?

It was fun riding with everybody...thanks again to all who came and acted on their best behaviour. Sorry Mike about your slippin and slidin. Glad you made out okay and got home.

Smitty was carrying your nuts around the rest of the weekend...do you want them back? He told us that they tasted "salty"...I'm not sure what that means...but you know Smitty, he'll try anything once.

Until next year...when someone new steps up and become the Hooterville organizer (as if there is anything organized about Hooterville).
I left Mikes nuts, and a bottle of Pepsi on your seat Wheetie before I left.. I think the Pepsi will get taste out of you mouth. Where does a guy get nuts like that?? :lol:

Smitty

I brought Mike's nuts back to Crown Point, but dropped them in the garage :angry: Sorry Mike :eek: