2013 FJR Pricing Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes they do.....and Greg i thought "fees" did differ from state to state....my 13 was $18,668 OTD.........California for you..oh and the first one anywhere...
rolleyes.gif

R
Skooty Honey, I fully agree with our King Richard; I also believe that "fees" do differ from state to state, my State of Arizona Out The Door was $16,477.12.

Scan123420000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditionally in past discussions *here on this board*, *for our benefit only* fees have meant set-up and freight. NOT state DMV/MVD 'fees' as I mentioned above. Cripes, this shouldn't be that difficult. For the purpose of discussions HERE ON THIS BOARD, any 'fees' that are variable by state, SHOULD NOT BE INCLUDED. Only MSRP and variable dealer fees. That way in discussions about price, we are comparing apples vs. apples.

SO FOR THE PURPOSE OF DISCUSSION ON THIS BOARD, 'FEES' ARE THE VARIABLE DEALER FEES ONLY. Not the state stuff like Tax, title, and registration.

And as always, just to be *crystal clear*, it's always a good idea to define what 'OTD' means when giving an 'OTD' price.

Clear as mud?

So in your example above mi moron step-pappy, your 'OTD' price is $14,562 + $349.95 (Dealer processing) + that bullshit $2 tire disposal fee(WTF?) or $14,914.

What is this tax thing that you are talking about? Fred W, have you ever heard of such a thing?

Way down south in Taxachusetts they can even try to ding the buyer with advertising fees and charge a runner's fee for someone from the dealership going to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.

What is this tax thing that you are talking about? Fred W, have you ever heard of such a thing?
Way down south in Taxachusetts they can even try to ding the buyer with advertising fees and charge a runner's fee for someone from the dealership going to the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Not if you call them on it. My insurance agent does the running for free if I ask them.

Two things in that bill of sale 288.00 to assemble the bike, 349.95 to hit the print button for the paperwork. Well three with the 2.00 tire disposal fee. Those three things are variable that the dealer added to the sticker and should be added to the OTD price we want to compare.

I don't know why you all call it Taxachusetts, oh wait, is it because my state tax bill is more than my federal bill?

Two things in that bill of sale 288.00 to assemble the bike, 349.95 to hit the print button for the paperwork. Well three with the 2.00 tire disposal fee. Those three things are variable that the dealer added to the sticker and should be added to the OTD price we want to compare.
I did add them. They were included in the 'subtotal' of $14,562 on the invoice sheet.

I used to think "OTD" was everything, all, the whole enchilada! But when comparing prices from dealers, Skooter is correct. What we are trying to found out, by looking everywhere, is the best price. That would be cost of bike and dealers fees. Each individual dealer will add their own fees, and this is where we really find out who has the best price when adding the fees to bike cost. That becomes the "OTD" pricing. T,T, &T (tax, tag & title) vary by where the buyer lives, so you won't get a real comparison if those are added.

When comparing, don't just look at advertised bike prices, you must find what fees the dealer plans to add, as those vary greatly!

When I was shopping around I asked each dealer for their best OTD price including 4 years YES. I got three response and one refusal. $15,500 $15,866, $16,230. The only fee added on by the dealer I went with was $27.00 title fee due the state. I argued that but wasn't going to walk over $27

IMHO the total cost OTD that's important to know. If I was in a position to fly and ride (bad time of year weather wise) I would have done that if a dealer from away had a lower OTD price.

Meaning of OTD all depends on the state you reside in.
IMO, best way to represent FJR prices is before fees and taxes as they vary so much from state to state.

--G
Fees don't vary state to state, but taxes surely do. Fees are conjured up by the dealer.

I think that for the purpose of comparison 'OTD' price in our discussions should not include taxes and title/registration costs. That way we are comparing apples to apples. Of course when mentioning an 'OTD' price it is never a bad a idea to qualify what that means exactly.
Skoot, I don't even consider freight and set-up when talking price on a bike. While many dealers add these costs, they are meaningless to anyone else unless you're at the SAME dealer. Since state sales taxes and registration fees vary, these costs are also meaningless to the discussion.

So back to what I said above...IMO and to eliminate confusion, the cost of the bike is all that matters. Anything else is the price folks pay to live in their paradise.

--G

IMO, best way to represent FJR prices is before fees and taxes as they vary so much from state to state.

--G
Fees don't vary state to state, but taxes surely do. Fees are conjured up by the dealer.

I think that for the purpose of comparison 'OTD' price in our discussions should not include taxes and title/registration costs. That way we are comparing apples to apples. Of course when mentioning an 'OTD' price it is never a bad a idea to qualify what that means exactly.
Skoot, I don't even consider freight and set-up when talking price on a bike. While many dealers add these costs, they are meaningless to anyone else unless you're at the SAME dealer. Since state sales taxes and registration fees vary, these costs are also meaningless to the discussion.

So back to what I said above...IMO and to eliminate confusion, the cost of the bike is all that matters. Anything else is the price folks pay to live in their paradise.

--G
Absolutely these charges should be included (in a quote) in the OTD price. You have to pay them, no matter where you come from to get a bike from that dealer, not? To me it would be confusing/inaccurate to exclude these charges.

--G

--G
Absolutely these charges should be included (in a quote) in the OTD price. You have to pay them, no matter where you come from to get a bike from that dealer, not? To me it would be confusing/inaccurate to exclude these charges.
Petey, I guess we'll agree to disagree. These costs are nothing more than dealer mark-up, and are completely negotiable. It all depends on badly someone wants THAT bike and the dealer to sell THAT bike. Personally, I will NEVER pay these ridiculous mark-ups.

--G

--G

--G
Petey, I guess we'll agree to disagree. These costs are nothing more than dealer mark-up, and are completely negotiable. It all depends on badly someone wants THAT bike and the dealer to sell THAT bike. Personally, I will NEVER pay these ridiculous mark-ups.

--G
But it all boils down to the same bottom line George so you must take them into account. I agree with what you said, and I look not to pay those fees either, but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Are you telling me you would not buy a brand new '13 FJR from a dealer ($15,900 MSRP) who was charging $500 each for freight and set-up but was discounting the bike $5,000 off of MSRP? If you so you would be an idiot. And I don't think you are quite there yet..........

IMHO the total cost OTD that's important to know. If I was in a position to fly and ride (bad time of year weather wise) I would have done that if a dealer from away had a lower OTD price.
But for *most* people in *most* states, Tax, Tags, and Title on a fly-n-ride wouldn't be charged until you get back to your home state and go to title and register the bike. So how would your definition of OTD be at all useful?

we seem to be Making easy - Hard!!

the only meaningful "constant" is the ACTUAL negotiated price the person pays for the bike. What you end up paying for TT&L is a by product of that negotiated price and your states tax rates etc...

This makes the TT& L irrelevant to the potential buyer that is looking for his deal on a bike, which is generally the entire purpose for quoting the price paid in a thread such as this.

Of course you must include the fees a dealer charged you, thats part of that negotiated price. You may or may not negotiate down that dealers "wipe his ass fee". so just because someone quotes a higher price at a dealer doesn't mean you can't do better. But there are some dealers that choose not to play the silly "fees" game and will work a fair deal without you having to employ your jedi negotiating skills.

soooo, with all that said, my OTD price was $13723....... that does NOT include TT&L Yamaha of Memphis, Talk to Mike

we seem to be Making easy - Hard!!
the only meaningful "constant" is the ACTUAL negotiated price the person pays for the bike. What you end up paying for TT&L is a by product of that negotiated price and your states tax rates etc...

This makes the TT& L irrelevant to the potential buyer that is looking for his deal on a bike, which is generally the entire purpose for quoting the price paid in a thread such as this.

Of course you include the fees a dealer charged you, thats part of that negotiated price. You may or may not negotiate down that dealers "wipe his ass fee". so just because someone quotes a higher price at a dealer doesn't mean you can't do better. But there are some dealers that choose not to play the silly "fees" game and will work a fair deal without you having to employ your jedi negotiating skills.

soooo, with all that said, my OTD price was $13723....... that does NOT include TT&L Yamaha of Memphis, Talk to Mike

Exactly! I feel like I am pounding my head against the wall here. It SHOULDN'T be that hard.

Nice price btw!

I believe there are two 'Out the Door" prices.

The first is if you are buying the bike. That should include everything: bike, setup, freight, tax, tags, trade-in, etc. This is the price you can use to compare to other dealers you are considering.

The second is if you want to share your "deal" with other forum members. This OTD price should not include tax, tags, trade-in as these vary by state and county. What I pay for tax and tags in New York has no bearing on what someone in Texas is going to pay.

when you put it like that.....i just looked at my paper work and mine was $16,790 OTD....much cheaper...
uhoh.gif

Tax was $1476.13
weirdsmiley.gif
weirdsmiley.gif

R

You people are giving me a headache. IF YOU BOUGHT IT AND LIKE IT price doesn't matter. stfu