2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1948 was a very good year, 1st year for H-D Panhead and Papa Chuy!

1948_pan_blue.jpg
...now you've done it Don, Panman is bound to be along shortly. Hold on to the bars!! :lol:

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda sorry to see the apparent cost cutting on the front forks. I wonder if it's worth swapping in a Gen IIs forks? I'll be moving over some of my farkles if I get a Gen III, wouldn't be that hard to swap fork tubes.
Great minds think alike...Talked about the same thing with the gang up here -- not that I'm getting rid of my GP equipped '09 for a '13! ;)

--G

I come from sportbikes though so I know what truly useless looks like.
This ^

I've found my Gen II mirrors to be quite functional. Maybe it's all what you are used to. Surely these have to be more functional than a pair of Harley mirrors. I'd imagine with them attached to the paint shaker that you shouldn't be able to see a thing.
I agree about the improvement over sportbike mirrors, but they could be better. But, that is a minor gripe with such a great bike. I rode a BMW R1200RT recently and it had the low mount mirrors like my ST1300. Completely 100% useless. You could see nothing. We found that lots of the R1200RTs have been retrofitted with BMW bar mounted mirrors. My friend bought a set of these (not cheap!) and now can see what is behind him. I believe it is impossible to build any bike that fits everyone perfectly.

I don't have to imagine about the Harley mirrors. At certain RPM ranges, they are just as clear as anything else. Harley has that motor engineered to be quite pleasant at highway cruise speeds. At other speeds, useless is accurate. For example if stopped at a red light, don't even consider looking into them.
Upon purchasing my second Gen II, I installed FZI mirrors. I'll keep the stock set and put them back on the bike when I move on to a GenIII. If the FZI's will not fit the GenIII I can always sell them and get the spacers. Not to shove oats up a dead horse's ass, I think Yamaha has had more than adequate time to get the damn mirrors set out another inch!!! Perhaps next year they will fix that and offer an overdrive gear box!!

I have ridden both ST1300 and R1200RT and found no issue with the mirrors.

1948 was a very good year, 1st year for H-D Panhead and Papa Chuy!

1948_pan_blue.jpg
...now you've done it Don, Panman is bound to be along shortly. Hold on to the bars!! :lol:

--G
This is way down there on my Bucket List Jorge, but I always thought it would be so cool to own a bike of my birth year 1948: Indian, Triumph, Norton, Harley-Davidson and Vincent would be my obvious choices!

Not to shove oats up a dead horse's ass, I think Yamaha has had more than adequate time to get the damn mirrors set out another inch!!! Perhaps next year they will fix that and offer an overdrive gear box!!
+1 Mr.Miller! I do have to admit that those mirrors sure do give a good view of my knuckles.

Question tho; Is that a race, draft or glue horse your referring to?

Not to shove oats up a dead horse's ass, I think Yamaha has had more than adequate time to get the damn mirrors set out another inch!!! Perhaps next year they will fix that and offer an overdrive gear box!!
I think you need to go back to shoving oats up your dead horse, because after 10 years, I think Yamaha has already decided that the mirrors are fine where they are and the basic gearing is not going to change for an overdrive.

Butt you can always hope.

Upon purchasing my second Gen II, I installed FZI mirrors. I'll keep the stock set and put them back on the bike when I move on to a GenIII. If the FZI's will not fit the GenIII I can always sell them and get the spacers.
Of course, when Yamaha does customer feedback, how many people they talk to whine about the mirrors?

Until you've done the FZ-1 mirror conversion, you don't realize how much better things could be.

I've had mine (on my Gen I) so long that a Gen I without FZ-1 mirrors looks funny.

How deeply inset are the Gen III mirrors? will the spacers being designed for allowing aux light brackets move them out significantly enough to make a difference?

I also find it funny that FZ1 mirrors work so well on the FJR. The FJR mounts must be further apart because on an actual FZ1 they are more worthless than an FJR with FJR mirrors.

Have you looked at the front of the FJR and compared it to the front of the FZ1???!!!?!
Actually, had both in the garage for a short time till the FZ1 sold. But no, never compared them side by side.

Going from a DRZ400SM my FZ1 felt like a barge. Then after two weeks of riding the FJR I hopped on the FZ1 and it felt teeny tiny! :D

If I missed this in the hours of reading i've done on this forum then sorry and fire away. But it seems that one of the early '13 buyers here posted that the cruise was limited to 80mph. However I noticed in the piece about the design philosophy of the bike that they posted the following specification:

Cruise control: Enables the rider to set the cruise speed (in 3rd and higher gears) in the range of 50 km/h to 180 km/h.

This seems to indicate that it should be able to be set all the way up to 112mph. Or did they adjust it for our letigious US market?

I have my gen1 FZ1 right next to my gen1 FJR. The FZ1 mirrors in their stock position worked very nicely for checking glove fit and shoulder position. After performing the Fuzzy1 mirror mod which involves turning the mirror stalks 180* thereby lowering the mirrors and moving them apart, they become quite useful for actually seeing behind you.

The mirror mounts on the FZ1 are about 12" apart, the FJR about 19". With the modded mirrors the span on the Fizzy is within a half inch of the span on the Feejer,at 37". Both bikes' mirrors are the same height. I find the mirrors to be fine on the FJR. If I moved the modded mirrors to the FJR the wingspan would be 44-45 inches. Great for taking flight or viewing your own backside if so inclined. :blink:

GJ, I'm with you. The FZ1 felt big when I got it, now it feels like a very fast motorized bicycle compared to the FJR. I love 'em both.

If I missed this in the hours of reading i've done on this forum then sorry and fire away. But it seems that one of the early '13 buyers here posted that the cruise was limited to 80mph. However I noticed in the piece about the design philosophy of the bike that they posted the following specification:

Cruise control: Enables the rider to set the cruise speed (in 3rd and higher gears) in the range of 50 km/h to 180 km/h.

This seems to indicate that it should be able to be set all the way up to 112mph. Or did they adjust it for our letigious US market?
Yes, you missed it. ;)

Yes, it is different for the U.S. bikes. The info you have is from the European model.

If I've attached this youtube video correctly, you should see a video presentation from a Euro motomag. Even if yer not bilingual, the close-up photos and video of the 2013 are interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCSzkaVpXac
In slide 1:16 you can see a close up of the USD fork....but that must have been a snapshot from the AE model....not the one displayed here?

Thanks ChiefBlueMan for the measurements. That certainly explains a lot. I just always chuckle when someone mentions FZ1 mirrors being amazing. I'm like "I don't remember them being THAT amazing!"

My first FZ1 (Yea, had two, impaled the first one into an Acura) the previous owner had put on some of the glue on replacement mirrors that are more curved for a wider viewing angle. It was nice to see more but everything looked further away. I needed one of those stickers that says "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." Anybody done that with FZ1 mirrors on the FJR?