2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the self-folding side stand appears to remain unchanged we do get this bonus:

"...comfort and convenience is enhanced with a reworked lower-effort centerstand,..."

The BMW K1300GT that I rode in CA had one of the most user unfriendly centerstands that I have ever used. I almost didn't get the bike on the center stand and it took two of us at the bike shop to get it OFF the centerstand and the only other time I used the centerstand it took two of us to get it off the stand. If someone needed to use the centerstand and the pavement was not 100% flat they would be out of luck.

..Why has Yamaha not gotten the message the mirrors need to be set out enough to eliminate the blocked rear view.
Blocked by what? I would think only Ben Spies from the "elbows" era would have an issue.
The issue with the mirrors is well documented. There are mirror spacers available to set them out from the bike. There are threads on this forum about replacing the factory mirrors with FZ1 mirrors. Pretty much anyone whose shoulders are wide enough to fill out a riding jacket has an issue with the mirrors. Of course, it could be possible that all my riding friends just eat too much. ;)

..Why has Yamaha not gotten the message the mirrors need to be set out enough to eliminate the blocked rear view.
Blocked by what? I would think only Ben Spies from the "elbows" era would have an issue.
The issue with the mirrors is well documented. There are mirror spacers available to set them out from the bike. There are threads on this forum about replacing the factory mirrors with FZ1 mirrors. Pretty much anyone whose shoulders are wide enough to fill out a riding jacket has an issue with the mirrors. Of course, it could be possible that all my riding friends just eat too much. ;)
+1, Gunny; I'm with Red 100%, unless you are an elfin dwarf or a girl midget the stock FJR mirrors are absolutely useless! Like most others on our fine FJR Forum, my Miss Lucy Liu has FZ1 mirrors on her!

I think that 20valves is one of those Hoon Riders. Nothing comes up behind them cuz they go too doggone fast. Right petey? ;)

No need for mirrors.

Actually I bet 20valves tucks his elbows in every time he takes a look for popo, ain't that right? :D

Ok brought FJR #65 home today - 10 mile ride. Comparisons from 2012 FJR.

-Wind - needs an after market windshield or taller - I have a CeeBaileys +3 curved on the 2012 - at this point the 2013 is no comparison to wind adjustment there

-Seat - same

-Engine - Wow! Oh so smooth - no vibration perceived

-Gauges - love the visibility - still need to play -

-Suspension - seems to handle a little sharper than the 2012 - easier transitions

-Transmission - seems to shift smoother - more snick - less clunk

-Brakes - hmmm...seems like we are missing some grip power here vs. the 2012 - maybe just needs some break-in time

You know what the 2013 looks like from Fairliner's awesome pics, so I'll get some pics of my pair in the sun. The wife gets the 2012. Now, if we could just hold the white stuff back a few weeks might be able to get some miles on it yet this year.
Thanks for the feedback, short and succinct. Keep 'em coming. I"m really itching for one of these but my 07 is nicely dialed in with a Hagon rear shock and PC-V so trying to figure out if the extra $8-9k is really worth it. Pleased to hear the motor is smoother, wondering about the need for pressure on the bars to maintain a corner. I'm thinking this is more a function of the tires than the frame or suspension. The comments so far on the windshield were very positive, with no indication of a need to replace. Guess this depends to a large degree on rider shape and size.

Kinda sorry to see the apparent cost cutting on the front forks. I wonder if it's worth swapping in a Gen IIs forks? I'll be moving over some of my farkles if I get a Gen III, wouldn't be that hard to swap fork tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda sorry to see the apparent cost cutting on the front forks. I wonder if it's worth swapping in a Gen IIs forks? I'll be moving over some of my farkles if I get a Gen III, wouldn't be that hard to swap fork tubes.
For those that have upgraded their GEN II forks and want to retain the "runs like it is on rails" handling, which doesn't appear to be offered on the 2013 model, swapping the entire fork(s) appears to be a viable option since the part number on the 2013 right lower fork leg (which the brakes and fender are attached to) is the same as the Gen II models. The left fork has a different part number but its probably safe to say the only external difference in that part is the lack of the compression adjustment screw.

Its probably a win-win for both new owners since a entire fork swap is easier than swapping the fork internals and the buyer of the old bike gets new forks which also may be an upgrade (in spring rates and valving) to the original OEM forks.

Pretty much anyone whose shoulders are wide enough to fill out a riding jacket has an issue with the mirrors.
Ok, well, I do have mine adjusted out to about the max and yes, I get a glimpse of the crook of my elbow but "useless" is FAR too strong a word to describe them. FZ1 mirrors look about the same as Gen I mirrors but the classy, more functional and far better looking Gen II mirrors don't require replacing, imho. I come from sportbikes though so I know what truly useless looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I come from sportbikes though so I know what truly useless looks like.
This ^

I've found my Gen II mirrors to be quite functional. Maybe it's all what you are used to. Surely these have to be more functional than a pair of Harley mirrors. I'd imagine with them attached to the paint shaker that you shouldn't be able to see a thing.

I come from sportbikes though so I know what truly useless looks like.
This ^

I've found my Gen II mirrors to be quite functional. Maybe it's all what you are used to. Surely these have to be more functional than a pair of Harley mirrors. I'd imagine with them attached to the paint shaker that you shouldn't be able to see a thing.
I agree about the improvement over sportbike mirrors, but they could be better. But, that is a minor gripe with such a great bike. I rode a BMW R1200RT recently and it had the low mount mirrors like my ST1300. Completely 100% useless. You could see nothing. We found that lots of the R1200RTs have been retrofitted with BMW bar mounted mirrors. My friend bought a set of these (not cheap!) and now can see what is behind him. I believe it is impossible to build any bike that fits everyone perfectly.

I don't have to imagine about the Harley mirrors. At certain RPM ranges, they are just as clear as anything else. Harley has that motor engineered to be quite pleasant at highway cruise speeds. At other speeds, useless is accurate. For example if stopped at a red light, don't even consider looking into them.

Harley has that motor engineered...
When did THAT happen? 1948?
1948 was a very good year, 1st year for H-D Panhead and Papa Chuy!

1948_pan_blue.jpg

Very good! I am not defending them, I don't own one. They do, believe it or not, re-engineer from time to time. They say they build them the way they do because that is what the Harley customer wants. They don't have to compete with anyone else, they just build to satisfy their customer base. It must work for them, they sell a whole bunch of them.

Very good! I am not defending them, I don't own one. They do, believe it or not, re-engineer from time to time. They say they build them the way they do because that is what the Harley customer wants. They don't have to compete with anyone else, they just build to satisfy their customer base. It must work for them, they sell a whole bunch of them.
Sorry...I just had to chuckle. No offense meant.

Sorry...I just had to chuckle. No offense meant.
None taken of course! I thought your response was excellent. Clever, witty, perfectly timed. I expected it from someone anyway.

I am not a Harley hater, I have wanted a big Electra Glide since I was a kid, but I have never spent my money on one. Probably for the exact reasons you don't have one. The first time I ever rode on a street bike was on the back of a 75th Anniversary Electra Glide. I was 8 years old but I can still remember that my feet were numb on the passenger pegs before we had gone 200 yards and the mirrors were only a blurry bright area on the handlebars. If the bike was running, they were useless. But, it was a beautiful bike.

I think that 20valves is one of those Hoon Riders. Nothing comes up behind them cuz they go too doggone fast. Right petey? ;)

No need for mirrors.

Actually I bet 20valves tucks his elbows in every time he takes a look for popo, ain't that right? :D
IMHO the mirrors aren't perfect but are ok...wheatie, yes 20valves is indeed one of the HOONS... Had the pleasure riding with him and other HOONS, many miles. :)