2013 FJR - Replacing the Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

triumsg

Can anyone help - I dont have a torque wrench ... and am keen to do an oil change soon ...

When u replace the standard Yam oil filter .. how many turns is it to reach the recommended torque settings?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't a torque wrench,you can tighten it by hand but don't use maximum hand force..I suggest you to buy a torque wrench..!

It is useful and for other works in your bike..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!!

Just a little concerned coz my Vstrom requires 2 full turns after making contact - seems to be the only one that does ... the rest is as what you guys had suggested ...

Thanks again ...

And if you switch to using a Purolator Pure One filter (I assume it fits the Gen. III too) with it's nice grippy finish, you can take it off by hand as well.

Beside a necessary torque wrench, a rubber strap wrench comes in handy. While you are out buying these items, get a multimeter too.
coolsmiley02.gif

I don't get the torque wrench obsession thith this particular application. The gasket on the filter is an O ring, not a flat gasket like on car filters assuming that you are using OEM filters. I just hand tighten the filter until you can feel the filters housing contact the engine case. The O ring should be compressed fully by then, and further tightening will do nothing but possible distore the filter canister. Since I have joined the forum I have seen this discussed before, but never seen this answer. Anybody else with me on this?

Follow the filter manufacturer's instructions printed on the carton. Usually something like 1/2 turn after the gasket makes contact. Don't forget to apply som clean oil to the gasket before attaching it. Just a light coating is all that is required.

Good and snug , put some oil in it to start with and some on the O ring..Not enough for it to run out before you get it in place............

I don't get the torque wrench obsession thith this particular application. The gasket on the filter is an O ring, not a flat gasket like on car filters assuming that you are using OEM filters. I just hand tighten the filter until you can feel the filters housing contact the engine case. The O ring should be compressed fully by then, and further tightening will do nothing but possible distore the filter canister. Since I have joined the forum I have seen this discussed before, but never seen this answer. Anybody else with me on this?
He doesn't need the torque wrench for the filter, he needs it for just about everything else on bikes and cars that require proper torque. Like everyone else is saying, hand tight for the oil filter.

I'm just saying that a torque wrench is pretty high up the list of must have tools for someone who enjoys working on their own vehicles.

Just thought about it but the torque specs in the older manuals strip the drain plugs , hope they have corrected this in the new one.............

Just thought about it but the torque specs in the older manuals strip the drain plugs , hope they have corrected this in the new one.............
My Yamaha F150, 4 stroke, outboard engine uses the same drain plug as the FJR. Aluminum block, steel drain plug.

The Yamaha shop manual for the OB calls for 20 ft lbs, not 30 like the bike...

Hm, is this true? I have a couple of questions: If the original spec in the manual (owner's or service?) was incorrect on the drain plug, what *is* the correct spec? I'm assuming the FJR takes a crush washer on the drain plug, is this true? That's really not a place that I want to go with "snug" as a proper measure.

As to the filter, what is the spec on that too?

Apologies; I suspect both are in the manual, and if not, I'm planning on getting a service manual.

Ok, I decided to change the oil myself, after letting the dealer do it with services. I have a little over 15,000 miles on her. I got the drain plug off. Trying to pull the filter off is another story! I've taken the 4mm bolt out for the lower fairing. I've tried by hand, filter wrench, and pliers (large), and still it won't budge! I don't want to crush the filter, so I've stopped for now to get advice. So what other options are there? This filter is WAY too tight!

Tried and true method for a too-tight oil filter is to skewer it (side-to-side) with a BIG screwdriver and use it to get the filter started. Don't worry about crushing it with oil filter pliers or filter wrench. Its not like you are going to use it again!

I've done that with car filters, guess I'll do it in this case too. Went to Advance and picked up a 65/67mm-14 end cap wrench, and it just spins around on it. Geez Louise...why so friggin' tight?

Thanks for the quick reply Ross. :)

Ok, with the large pliers and the determination of a chihuahua on crank, I got it off! This was just an oil change, can't wait for TBS and valve adjustment to get here! <---- that was sarcasm.