2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Spotwalla, there appears to be a bonus in the Lutheran Cemetery or the Mt. Olivet Cemetery or boni in both cemeteries in Ridgewood, Queens, NYC. Being the cemeteries are adjoining I suspect the riders are having a hard time identifying the one they want.
The holiday getaway out of the city has started and Hudson River crossings are jammed as well as East bound routes to Long Island. The NYC boni are going to be very time expensive for riders for at least the next 3-4 hours.
It must be related to the General Slocum Disaster.

https://www.junipercivic.com/juniperberryarticle.asp?nid=157
That was my guess too about the cemetery. But that area and everywhere else within 40 miles is not somewhere you want to be at this time of day before a summer holiday.

See one guy heading East too. With the Hamptons traffic, 495 most likely will be at a crawl the entire distance. There AND back.

Even though it has no aux lights or aux fuel, I believe I will take the 2013 FJR to the Checkpoint II in Sacramento, instead of the Busa.... need to save the Busa's tires for some big strikes into Montana next month.
Besides... the new FJR is still distressingly clean... needs more road grime...
weirdsmiley.gif
I thought you put aux lights on? Speaking of lights, where dem brackets? *whistles*

I thought you put aux lights on? Speaking of lights, where dem brackets? *whistles*
The brackets are on... but I can't seem to find the 2\nd lamp.
rolleyes.gif
I am sure it's in the garage... somewhere.

Regardless, at this point, I have waaaaay too much crap to do before departure for Checkpoint II to rip the FJR apart again to install one aux lamp. I'll suffer... but I am thinking about at least slapping a pair of Sylvania Silverstars H4s in there for now...

Yer killin' me, Smalls. Sooze and I have to work on Friday.... Don't let the left-coasters show us up.
Man, I was seriously considering this tomorrow, but I have a 5 am show for an 8 hr flight Friday morning...I'm still considering it.
C'mon, man! We'll be heading out as soon as my 10:00 am commitment wraps up.

I'll post up my SPOT link before we leave.

Don't even think of stalking bonus locations. In years past, bonus lists were shared in advance. There ended up being such stalkers at Dollywood that resulted in the security staff trying to run off actual riders when they later appeared. That's what lead to bonuses being held until after each leg was finished. Leave the riders to ride. Also they should be riding their own rides (without "teams" helping them from the comfort of their easy chairs back home).

Yeah, I was kidding. I'll make smores at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
RFI Dale: that rider who is still in NS at this late hour, would it be permissble for him to take the ferry across to Maine? Assuming a ferry is even scheduled to leave tonight.

I'm going to ride up tomorrow from Balto to check out the action and get a few pictures then back home. Have to work Fri.Jeff

RFI Dale: that rider who is still in NS at this late hour, would it be permissble for him to take the ferry across to Maine? Assuming a ferry is even scheduled to leave tonight.
There is NO ferry to Maine. That service was discontinued years ago.

There IS a ferry to Saint John but I'd be very surprised if there's an evening sailing

There is NO ferry to Maine. That service was discontinued years ago.

There IS a ferry to Saint John but I'd be very surprised if there's an evening sailing
I don't think anyone told #126 about the lack of ferry service. He's still heading towards Yarmouth. "Yikes" is right.

There's a ferry, Digby to St. John. But really can't see that working. Times are all wrong.

Tough ride, possible but real difficult. Will be watching with my fingers crossed.

126 has just now morphed into 115. Honestly, why do they feel it's necessary to change a rider's # 3 or 4 times daily? I would think by now everyone has long since lost track of who or where any particular rider is long before now. Makes it quite less enjoyable trying to keep track of any anonomous rider's progress throughout the day.

Reactions: MEM
Last ferry left/leaves at 16:00, $53, 3 hours across, MEM does that sound correct?
Close enough, Dave. BUT.....it's 22:25 now. Ferry left 6 hours ago

The Terminal's at Digby so he won't go all the way to Yarmouth.

Damn, what a bummer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.