2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed seeing where Gerlach was listed as a bonus, but that may be attributable to my fascination with the PE stops. That will make a great trip in the future to visit them all.

eeksnake just finished scoring.... Chris scored a whopping 3,000 points more than he initially though he would, so he's happy!
smile.png

Woohoo Chris!

He can use his GPS for odometer purposes *only* if he remembered to zero it out at the start of Leg 2.
If his SPOT breadcrumbs are accurate, it's starting to look a little grim for our boy Sal
Dang, I was pulling for Sal to be a finisher.

He's a great guy, with the worst rally luck sometimes.

Still pulling for him, hopefully he bagged enough boni prior to his valve stem issue and can weather some of the penalties for being late.

Cool. Looks like I called the Bush Plane Museum in SSM (BHC).

Also, TCH, I`m wondering if it`s been fixed since I was there last year. It`s the Trans Canada Hwy Plaque. They show a pic in the bonii listing that contains the plaque. When I was there, it looked like this:

IMG_1095.jpg

If it still looks that way, I wonder how many guys nearly shit!

eeksnake just finished scoring.... Chris scored a whopping 3,000 points more than he initially though he would, so he's happy!
smile.png

Howard Entman is here... he looks pretty good. Dennis York is scoring him now....
Way to go Chris. Get some rest and and good luck on leg three.

Forty minutes to go, and it looks like the majority of the riders are within easy distance of the CP, with a few stragglers still out there.

Can't wait to hear about more stories from this leg. Sounds like there were some interesting routing decisions to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Armchair Quarterbacking time. Looking at the leg2 bonuses, it appears that getting the Pony Express Combo, AND Pikes Peak AND the Blackrock desert was the way to go. Not sure what else you could have grabbed in there. I think a few guys did that, looking at the tracks the last few days, and put in some MONSTER rides.

Oklahoma ... all of it ... is cheering him on, for no reason other than a ride like he faces tonight is what the Iron Butt Rally is about.

Go Sal indeed!

Looks like Sal can make it before 10. Sending Karma!
If he's the one showing up as 138 right now, I'm betting he gets in and still has rally days ahead of him. It's 8:30pm and the holiday traffic jam should be eased enough by now not to be too much a problem. Assuming that to be the case and based upon having ridden that chunk of pavement (or something pretty close) plenty of times, I'm pretty sure I'd make the CP from where he is right now. Not any time left over, and no stops, but I'm thinking the juju is good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy Crockett was among the last to be scored... Chuck Hickey was her scorer, she had a monster leg.

As did Ignacio. A *very* stellar leg.....

Eric Jewell and Ken Meese were among the last to come in... suspect their score are also waaaaay up there.

Our FJR riders are certainly kicking ass.

Poor Sal... when the shop hastily remounted his front tire, they appear to have dicked away the wheel spacers, and one of the results is that Sal has now lost his odometer. He took a heavy dive in penalty points for being the best part of an hour late, but he did make it in before being time-barred altogether.

Just made it home after a great afternoon watching the riders roll into the checkpoint/hotel.

Sam greets Iggy

IMG_1549_zps5f007161.jpg

Fazer Phil

IMG_1551_zps2036cd27.jpg

A 500 air cooled single

IMG_1556_zpsbfa5f2bc.jpg

We could all learn a lesson in packing light on a 250

IMG_1557_zpsdafde252.jpg

Only 4 riders still out when I took this before it was time to go.

IMG_1562_zpsc267bbe8.jpg

Best wishes for all the riders!

What a whirlwind of a day!! Really enjoyed being on the front line and watching it all unfold... everyone in and accounted for!
punk.gif
I left around 10pm and made a beeline for home... traffic was very light so it was a good choice v. 6am tomorrow morning, methinks. Got to catch up with lots of folks and really enjoyed seeing everyone. Will continue to follow along vicariously for the final leg... as always, wishing all riders a fantastic (and finished) ride! B)

Thanks for the updates everyone. So glad Sal made it in, I hope he manages to get enough sleep and gets enough points to be a finisher! Can't wait to see the results in a few hours! Another productive day at work...

Cool. Looks like I called the Bush Plane Museum in SSM (BHC).
Also, TCH, I`m wondering if it`s been fixed since I was there last year. It`s the Trans Canada Hwy Plaque. They show a pic in the bonii listing that contains the plaque. When I was there, it looked like this:

IMG_1095.jpg

If it still looks that way, I wonder how many guys nearly shit!
It still looks like that. I don't think anyone shit themselves. Riders know how to handle things like this. No shitting needed
smile.png

Armchair Quarterbacking time. Looking at the leg2 bonuses, it appears that getting the Pony Express Combo, AND Pikes Peak AND the Blackrock desert was the way to go. Not sure what else you could have grabbed in there. I think a few guys did that, looking at the tracks the last few days, and put in some MONSTER rides.
You think that was possible given the time constraints on bonuses and amount of time on the leg? I guess I didn't look very closely, but it seemed like too much to me. It looked like you had to chose either the PE or PP with other stuff. PE and BRD together was clearly possibly, or I think so, pretty sure I saw someone doing that
smile.png
One of 'ours' no less.

I suppose we will find out what was possible soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.