2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically, leg one doesn't tell much of a story. There are a number of exceptional riders this year, that either don't really have their heads in the game or were laying back for the second and third legs.
There are several riders I'm anxious to visit with at the finish.
Roger that Steve. I was referring to Mr. Agins' (I think it was) admonition that 14K points for leg one was the minimum target for prospective "finishers".

While not efficient, but did anyone else notice that the most miles were completed by the oldest bike?
26 Scott Thornton 64 78 YAM XS1100 16954 4032
They are not the most miles, but they are high on the list. It's an impressive feat by any standards, and I hope he can keep the pace up.

One helluva ride so far.

While not efficient, but did anyone else notice that the most miles were completed by the oldest bike?

Edit - I guess mdisher noticed.
biggrin.png
Josh clocked the *most* miles:

9 J. P. Mountain 95 06 YAM FJR1300A 18936 4340

In the MD2020 very few points separated Josh and Scott. Both with completely different routes.

both are machines.

They are not the most miles, but they are high on the list. It's an impressive feat by any standards, and I hope he can keep the pace up.

One helluva ride so far.
You're right, Twigg.

In 9th place is JP Mountain on a 2006 FJR1300A, with 18936 points, 4340 miles, and 4.363 PPM.

He's the 82nd most efficient rider in the pack.

Iggy has time to make up his "DOH!" moment. Don't worry about that.
What I LOVE, is that Wendy is ROCKIN' IT! Look at her miles and points compared to Meese and Crane.

Dickson has always been a little under the radar, but he's a hell of a rider and a really nice guy.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting contest.

GZ
+1

You're right, Twigg.

In 9th place is JP Mountain on a 2006 FJR1300A, with 18936 points, 4340 miles, and 4.363 PPM.

I've been paying attention for news about that motorcycle. If it is well set up, it is not as "Hopeless" as some might be tempted to think.

The first bike I owned, and still own, in the US was a 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D. I restored it from a complete wreck despite its genuine 17000 from new, and I rode my first LD Cert ride, an SS1000 on it. If you are bored, the Ride Report is here:

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/03/15/956525/-1000-Miles-in-24-Hours-The-Report

Eleven days is a long time, but the XS1100 has a fine pedigree.

Mother fucker!
It was IGNACIO who unfortunately dicked up his call-in phone bonus!!!
not_i.gif

If only he had carefully read the Bin 'O Facts.......
rtfm.gif

Just kidding! My helmet is off to all of the riders, behind the scene, and in front of the scene support people.

My butt hurts just sitting here watching.

I hope the FJR riders kick butt. Go Wendy!

That XS-1100 was on the MD 20/20 and my wife and I were both just amazed that he still uses that as a rally bike. It just speaks to the reliabilty of Yamaha in general.

I have to root for Mountain, CBA #10 and genuinely nice guy!
As CBA #7, I protest Mountain being a member of our distinguished organization. I am cheering him on as well. I do not know details, but I believe he was stuck in traffic that hosed his plans for the later part of leg 1.
sadsmiley.gif

One helluva ride so far.
You're right, Twigg.

Last time I looked, this wasn't an 'Efficiency Rally'. Meaning most points win, not most points per mile. I've not yet ridden the IBR, but one rally in particular that I do participate in has the Jim Young Memorial trophy for the most efficient ride/rider (points per mile). My riding partner won that this year and we were 6/7th. The ONLY year the most efficient rider won, ever, was two years ago when efficiency was the criteria.

I'm not throwing stones, just pointing out, that's not the Holy Grail for winning a rally. Certainly helps to be efficient but sometimes you just can't, and often times, the big points require big miles. You can almost always score less points with less miles and be "more efficient".

Certainly PPM efficiency can be the difference between guys running very similar routes.

Ahhh, missed that one. I went through the list twice and didn't see anyone else over 4K. Thanks for pointing that out. Still, that's a testament to an old machine to do that.

"If only he had carefully read the Bin 'O Facts.......
rtfm.gif
"

Now that was funny.

They should make blood test's mandatory prior to the IBR because some of these folks don't appear to be human.

Last time I looked, this wasn't an 'Efficiency Rally'. Meaning most points win, not most points per mile. I've not yet ridden the IBR, but one rally in particular that I do participate in has the Jim Young Memorial trophy for the most efficient ride/rider (points per mile). My riding partner won that this year and we were 6/7th. The ONLY year the most efficient rider won, ever, was two years ago when efficiency was the criteria.

I'm not throwing stones, just pointing out, that's not the Holy Grail for winning a rally. Certainly helps to be efficient but sometimes you just can't, and often times, the big points require big miles. You can almost always score less points with less miles and be "more efficient".

Certainly PPM efficiency can be the difference between guys running very similar routes.
Never said it was about efficiency, I just like looking at the data.

Just to prove your point, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place riders in Leg 1 were the 40th, 28th, and 21st most efficient riders, respectively.

"Last time I looked, this wasn't an 'Efficiency Rally'. Meaning most points win, not most points per mile. Last time I looked, this wasn't an 'Efficiency Rally'. Meaning most points win, not most points per mile."

I was thinking the same thing. Most points wins, Period. Sometimes you have to drive the extra miles for a few smaller point values others will skip if you want a podium finish.

Miles

Yesterday as all the riders were coming in I found a Henry Ford Museum admission ticket laying on the floor in the hallway that was obviously dropped by a rider.

I asked around trying to find who it belonged to,but without any luck.

I ended up letting the Rally staff know I found it and layed it out on the edge of the table that Bob Higdon was sitting at.

I wonder if that ticket was needed for that bonus and if the ticket got back to the rider.

Oh, I would like to extend heaps of thanks for anyone from the forum who sent boots to Cranberry for Mountain. If you did and have not made arrangements to get your boots back, please PM me and I will help however I can. He has a new pair of Sidi Traffic Rain boots that he was wearing with style this morning. I'm sure he'll tell us all about them after the rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.