2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly...
wink.png

DSC_7267-XL.jpg
Who's this dude? cause i imagine thats how i would feel if i had to ride around in the summer in any of those western states with their stupid "dry heat."

Anyone know what's up with Scott Thornton, the rider on the 78 Yamaha XS-1100? I understand from reading the IBR daily reports he lost his camera and all the photos on it and dropped 60 spots. Is he still in or at this point is he too far gone to be a finisher?

Anyone know what's up with Scott Thornton, the rider on the 78 Yamaha XS-1100? I understand from reading the IBR daily reports he lost his camera and all the photos on it and dropped 60 spots. Is he still in or at this point is he too far gone to be a finisher?
Spent some time with Scott last night.

He lost his camera and oil filler cap - points (ignition?) spotty and this is the replacement - so he is nervious about that as well.

He is at the bottomand needs to make up point on Leg 3 to be a finisher - but he is still in it and playing hard.

Do not count him out - but he is going to have to be smart and ride hard and have some mechanical luck to pull it off.

Rick Mayer helped him fashion replacement oil fill plugs from home deopt PVC parts so that looks to be ok - at least he can keep the oil in the bike.

Home safe and sound with no tickets.......

We saw Matt off safe and sound and he asked me to thank everyone for the help and support...

Tyler he also said that he like the pictures......

R

Based on the latest public SPOT map, I feel like a target of incoming Scud missiles ( in keeping with the rally theme).

Based on the latest public SPOT map, I feel like a target of incoming Scud missiles ( in keeping with the rally theme).
You mean you feel like you are going to get hit by a train. :p

Does look like a train is headed your way Tim!

PS - Where are Tobie's pictures? Can't wait to see the CP2 through his eyes (lens)!

Eric Jewell had a solo accident in the Bay Area. :(

Hopefully he can continue on, at least to the finish.

What a guy, what a bummer.

g

Damn! Sending good thoughts and wishes Eric's way! He is one helluva guy, rider and competitor. I will still be rooting for him as one of my favorites!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuts!

After having followed Eric's long-distance career, I was so looking forward to this final leg. It was sure to be epic.

Wishing him a speedy recovery, and a tailwind to the finish.

Lets not forget Wendy Crocket, She has been right up there in the top five so far. Go Wendy,
punk.gif

Dave

Isn't 101stpathfinder riding in this thing? Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not sure of his real name, anyone know how he's doing if he is?
Yep. As of the end of leg 2, he is scored in 16th place.
Listed in the stats as Anthony Osborne

Oh, btw, here is Tylers welcome for him in Sac.

P1170742-L.jpg
As I was working and directing the incoming IBR traffic, I must have met Tony but didn't recognize him. I had been looking forward to meeting you Tony! I will have to wait till next time to get properly introduced. Have a great ride! You are doing so good!
smile.png
Watch Tony in the 3rd leg. That man is an absolute beast of a rider, as are all of the IBR competitors. After watching Tony do each of the Great Lakes, followed by all of them in one swoop in 100F heat to qualify for the IBR....
Agreed, one of the most underated riders on this thing.. I've heard a bunch of negative chatter about him that I'm not going to share at this point....

When this ride is over I hope the few that also heard all the negative shots at him step up with me in deriding those who talked shit.

Suffice to say I hope all the long time favorites play thier best game. Tony is capable of some really amazing shit.

Agreed, one of the most underated riders on this thing.. I've heard a bunch of negative chatter about him that I'm not going to share at this point....When this ride is over I hope the few that also heard all the negative shots at him step up with me in deriding those who talked shit.

Suffice to say I hope all the long time favorites play thier best game. Tony is capable of some really amazing shit.
There are always a few naysayers, usually best ignored.

How many of them have competed in an Iron Butt Rally!?!

Nuts!
After having followed Eric's long-distance career, I was so looking forward to this final leg. It was sure to be epic.

Wishing him a speedy recovery, and a tailwind to the finish.
Amen. I hope he recovers quickly.

... but I'm also disappointed as an armchair participant. I was sooo hoping for a repeat of last year's neck-and-neck epic rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.