2014 ES - Side Panel Color Option

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does look much nicer in person though
It really does look even better in person.
They look awesome in the sunlight. I tried to take a picture of one in the showroom and it looked like crap ...

No question about it.... Pictures just don't do that color justice - in person gave me a whole new appreciation for the Yammy Red, not my flavor but I certainly understand how & why people like it.....

I myself prefer the 2013 gray/green.

Stealth - The gendarme's always pick off the red or yellow bikes while I cruise by under the radar, so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
14's are a blood or candy apple red color, far from orangeish. Certainly not for everyone. But evidently, for many.

I've not seen one in person but based on the always-orange-ish looking color in all the pics I'd say I'm not a fan of it either. Even if it's more red I think Mammy Yammy blew it on this one.

When my first FJR - a 2003 - was stolen and cosmetically trashed, I had it repainted a nice "R1 Red" which was very close to the 2014 FJR red. I had one of the only red FJRs in the country for a long time. I liked it then, I like it now. Red is always a good color for a motorcycle...or anything fast and sexy. Don't care for the checked accent treatment though; personal taste.

I myself prefer the 2013 gray/green.
Stealth - The gendarme's always pick off the red or yellow bikes while I cruise by under the radar, so to speak.
Yeah, me too. I've had a woody for a '13 since they came out. Except the front fender. What's up with that
uhoh.gif
? The '14 red ain't for me. I've only seen one in person and I thought it looked like crap. The '15 gray I could get used to in short time.

I have only ridden my 14ES in the western states and here in the west I get complements every time I park where there are live bodies. One of my riding pals has a 2012 blue and gets far less adoration. Color is certainly a personal matter however I am confident if a large base survey was conducted on motorcycle color preference red would likely rank one or two.

Maybe colors are a reflection of personality traits. (?)

Black- dark, mysterious.

Red- vibrant, gregarious.

Gray- calm, introvert.

Etc...

To each their own.

I have only ridden my 14ES in the western states and here in the west I get complements every time I park where there are live bodies. One of my riding pals has a 2012 blue and gets far less adoration. Color is certainly a personal matter however I am confident if a large base survey was conducted on motorcycle color preference red would likely rank one or two.
Yeah, I get the same thing with my black cherry '07. Usual color for a non-cruiser.

Yeah, I get the same thing with my black cherry '07. Usual color for a non-cruiser.
My previous FJR was an 07 black cherry red. That bike too got a lot of positive remarks. How well you keep the bike detailed will add to the positive remarks. I've noticed the Hardley guys tend to ignore FJR's.

My previous FJR was an 07 black cherry red. That bike too got a lot of positive remarks. How well you keep the bike detailed will add to the positive remarks. I've noticed the Hardley guys tend to ignore FJR's.
Around NJ a lot of "harley guys" ignore just about everything, even other harleys. Unless that Harley is more tricked out than the one they have is, then they usually glare.

I love that Cobalt Blue...but am liking my 13 color. Quite frankly I have liked most colors that Yammy has put on the FJR.

so speaking of altering the side covers.. anyone know a place or person that will repaint mine to match the rest of the bike? I'm not a fan of the silver oddball side cover coloring.

so speaking of altering the side covers.. anyone know a place or person that will repaint mine to match the rest of the bike? I'm not a fan of the silver oddball side cover coloring.
I repainted mine with the ColorRite matched red and they look good. I later bought new red ones and put my painted ones safely away. I'd be willing to swap you your silver for my painted red ones. PM me if interested.

There's a guy on the Forum...Garauld. Send him a pm, comes highly recommended from many of us.

It is actually a philosophical thing about the bike as much as anything truly aesthetic.

In MY opinion, FJRs look best in the brightest, "Bass Bote" colors. I have owned the Galaxy (Bass Bote) Blue '05, and now the Ticket Me (Bass Bote) Red '14 for good reason. These bright colors are what I associate with "fun", and my FJR is all about fun to me. It is not merely a transportation appliance that I ride each day to the drudgery of work. If it were then maybe some bland, nondescript shade of gray / silver / black would be more fitting, and help hide the dirt better.

But since I only ride my bike for recreation, the brightest colors are what I seek out.

There is also a completely valid reason they call it "ticket me red". Red is the fastest color.
bleh.gif

Last edited by a moderator: