2014 Stumble on accel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a pm from a guy who went through the same process. In his case, there were no assemblies in stock in the US, but his arrived in a couple of weeks.

Just have to wonder what the backlog time on a TPS would have been.
Probably zero.
This is likely true.

But, we don't know with certainty that the TPS is the root cause. We have a pretty good symptom match but that isn't conclusive. Your motorcycle makes a noise, you take it to the dealer. You tell the dealer that you hear a terrible clacking noise. The mechanic hears it go CRUNCH which isn't the customer complaint. The service manager can't duplicate the customer's complaint because he hears it as grind, grind, ting, ting. The point, when describing problems simply by noise or perceived action with no video, no meter readings, no data log, or to you the problem seems just like (the TPS), does not prove a conclusive component failure.

It would have seemed prudent to have swapped the TPS based on symptoms, but by the book (FSM), testing to the letter, the TPS would test good. A big set of blinders must have been worn when diagnosing the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have seemed prudent to have swapped the TPS based on symptoms, but by the book (FSM), testing to the letter, the TPS would test good. A big set of blinders must have been worn when diagnosing the situation.
You probably answered that in the other thread. quoted below:

It's interesting to note that the schematic for the TPS and Accelerator Sensor shows two circuits in each sensor, but in the Electrical Components section of the FSM, it only tells you to check only one circuit in each connector. Worse, the FSM only has you check the overall resistance of the sensor and does not instruct you to check the wiper resistance of either sensor.
Measuring the total resistance of the strip from end to end would never reveal a worn / flaky wiper contact, as has been seen top be the failure mode in the past. If the FSM has incomplete diagnostic info, is it any wonder they can't troubleshoot down to the component level?

You probably answered that in the other thread. quoted below:

It's interesting to note that the schematic for the TPS and Accelerator Sensor shows two circuits in each sensor, but in the Electrical Components section of the FSM, it only tells you to check only one circuit in each connector. Worse, the FSM only has you check the overall resistance of the sensor and does not instruct you to check the wiper resistance of either sensor.
Measuring the total resistance of the strip from end to end would never reveal a worn / flaky wiper contact, as has been seen top be the failure mode in the past. If the FSM has incomplete diagnostic info, is it any wonder they can't troubleshoot down to the component level?
It's also a shame the so-called technician has no understanding of how the TPS works, and apparently no interest in understanding it. I suppose Yamaha won't pay for a tech to do any "real" diagnosing, just to follow the fault-finding chart in the manual, which is clearly inadequate.
If the engine doesn't work, change the engine.

Many "mechanics" are now just certified parts changers. No idea how an engine works and how to diagnose simple problems and fix them. It's a shame really. Bunch of dipshits.

Here ya go Bill, the Mechanic's Patron Saint of I Give Up.

i-RMfrkFQ-X2.jpg
And yet still no obvious information about nipples....

Throttle bodies are in, a week before forecasted. Shop advises they will not have time to install until next Thursday. I'll drop it off Wednesday and hope for the best.

Really, REALLY !!! After waiting on ALL this shit treatment, they can't 'fit you in' for almost another week!?!?!?!

I really think this dealer needs some 'customer service' training.

And I'm still sad Mama Yama didn't step up to the plate as well.
fool.gif

Throttle bodies are in, a week before forecasted. Shop advises they will not have time to install until next Thursday. I'll drop it off Wednesday and hope for the best.
It's progress. The snail can see the finish line. Hopefully your dealer can find it in his heart to move you up to the top of the list in the shop schedule.

Thanks all. We were told Sep 22 part arrival. If I threw a fit they'd probably move me up. But there are people with appointments that'd be moved back to move mine up. That's not really fair to them. That said, if I were a dealer, I'd have asked how soon could I bring it in and put it at the front of the line. Best I can figure, they've only got one guy capable of doing more than an oil change. Once this process is done, I'm switching to Mountain Motorsports. Recommended by decent folks.

Have you seen all my posts on this ordeal that started in April? :) Seriously, we are hopefully in the home stretch now. I was polite and patient at first. Persuasive and documentary next. Insistent and demanding next. I'd didn't get much, but I finally got a field tech visit and the parts sent. I was pretty goddamned mad at my treatment by Yamaha corporate, far more than I was by the fallability of a machine or the difficulty in diagnosis. This is a perfect example of missed opportunities by a corporation to step up when it was an obvious time to do so. I would have preferred to resolve the issue without ever sharing my treatment and subsequent frustrations publicly. But it is what it is. It's got a brand new set of PR4GT's and a brand new Laam seat on it. If it gets fixed, I intend to slay pavement with a vengeance.

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm new to Yamaha and the FJR having purchased my 2010 in July. I have long been a BMW rider exclusively since '76 so my FJR is really a new day for me and so far so good, in fact very good as in no complaints. Now, the problem experienced by Bill is frustrating for him no doubt but in comparison to BMW I think he is in better hands and so is his bike. BMW has long been plagued with very expensive mechanical drive train failures that are expensive and frustrating in nature for the owner.

In the case of Yamaha and the FJR it seems most trouble spots seem to be more electronic in nature and are therefore much less expensive and generally simpler to solve with exceptional dealer and factory support in most cases. In the case of Bill's bike it sounds like the TPS may be the problem which is easy and relatively inexpensive to replace. Maybe Yamaha got a bit off track in this case but in the end I have no doubt all will be well when GEN3 mostly electronic and or software glitches are worked out. I would much rather deal with Yamaha than a certain other manufacturer in a problem like this if you know what I mean.

Come to think of it I better take a picture of my FeeJer and edit my personal info.
smile.png