2014 Stumble on accel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the traveling technician solved the issue......shame it couldn't have been solved locally, and in a timely manner

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow, what a story...I had a similar issue with my '15 A right after the initial throttle body sync at 600 miles. I rode off of the dealer's lot and gave gas and it fell on it's face. Problem occurred just off idle and was acting like it was double accelerating (best description I could come up with at the time) Took it immediately back and they proceeded to work on it for hours with assistance from corporate. The tech claimed that he couldn't replicate the issue so I made him re-test. I got pissed at him because he was treating the problem like I was imagining the issue. It was acting like a bad accelerator pump on a carburetor. It took the tech a few more hours before I got the bike back the next day. The problem is mostly resolved but occasionally see it crop up in very hot weather after a rest...16k miles later, I guess that I just got used to it. The lousy gas in CA is probably a contributing factor here as it was right around the time when gas companies were switching from winter to summer blends.

Charlie

Your issue with the stumble after a heat soak is purely a function of the California model! When it gets hot, fuel evaporating from the tank goes to a charcoal canister rather than to the atmosphere like in the rest of the world. When you start the bike, it is drawing air over the gas-saturated charcoal and it will run terribly for several minutes until the excess gas from the canister gets mostly burned off. If I'm not mistaken, you are finding that it runs decently after 5 minutes or so? Note: This is likely to be worse with winter blend fuel since it contains a higher proportion of the more volatile gasoline components.

I bought my bike second-hand from someone on the East coast although it turned out to be a California model. I eventually ended out by-passing the charcoal canister to prevent this problem.

Yep. Dealt with a canister on my BMW. But with the FJR, it went from fairly consistent and sort of subtle to reliably unsafe to unrideable. Steadily progressed until the bike was a paperweight, never letting up, 100% reliably broken. The evap can on my old bike pumped slurry to the fuel filter and epoxied it shut. After, only after, the expensive fuel pump replacement, did I figure out how easy it would have been to pull the canister and prevent the issue. But that was partly because vibes had broken down the charcoal so instead of being granular and holding gas overflow, it broke down into dust and became pudding when fuel was introduced.

Yep. Dealt with a canister on my BMW. But with the FJR, it went from fairly consistent and sort of subtle to unsafe to unrideable. Steadily progressed until the bike was a paperweight, never letting up, 100% reliably broken.
The description of your problem is different from Charlie's. His is/was a fuel issue due to the canister. I'm hoping that Yamaha gets of its ass and gets yours fixed. Still hoping it is nothing more than a flakey TPS. I just don't understand why your dealer has not at least tried this!

I agree Bill that your issue is way more complex. At the time it seemed like the tech was completely lost at finding the issue, then blamed me for imagining the issue. I got upset at the suggestion and coincidentally or not it occurred right after the sync...so I assumed that he left a vacuum hose off or something. Thank you for your suggestion Ross, I'll look into disconnecting the canister.

Good luck with your issue Bill
smile.png

I would not choose the path that has led me here again. That's for sure. Stumbled across an interesting story (current) about yamaha's silent recall regarding the first-year throttle by wire system in the 14 fz09. Alleged throttle jerkiness just above idle contributed to a rider being paralyzed. His suit asserts that sudden unexpected accel caused parking lot crash. Yamaha had advised dealers of the unsafe problem, but not owners. Advising dealers to replace if owner complained, and they would cover it. Yamaha's technical bulletin, which was issued worldwide, advised "When certain model units are operated between 18 and 37 mph in 1st or 2nd gear, the rider may experience a non-linear transition between closed to ¼ open throttle. Alter only those units where the problem is reported."

Not exactly the problem they are failing to fix in my case, but interesting reading.

I would not choose the path that has led me here again. That's for sure. Stumbled across an interesting story (current) about yamaha's silent recall regarding the first-year throttle by wire system in the 14 fz09. Alleged throttle jerkiness just above idle contributed to a rider being paralyzed. His suit asserts that sudden unexpected accel caused parking lot crash. Yamaha had advised dealers of the unsafe problem, but not owners. Advising dealers to replace if owner complained, and they would cover it. Yamaha's technical bulletin, which was issued worldwide, advised "When certain model units are operated between 18 and 37 mph in 1st or 2nd gear, the rider may experience a non-linear transition between closed to ¼ open throttle. Alter only those units where the problem is reported."
Not exactly the problem they are failing to fix in my case, but interesting reading.
Sounds like Yamaha has taken a page from BMW's playbook. This is the kind of support that made me decide to never buy another BMW. Does not give me a good feeling about my decision to buy a Yamaha.
upset.gif

I think most of them are great. But I only own one. And it and Yamaha have not lived up to either reputation or expectation. Who sells a new vehicle that's down for months, under warranty, and refuses to even consider a loaner or demo bike? Even subsidizing what should have been provided from the start would have changed my story of Yamaha failure to one of bragging of their standing behind their product and name. They didn't, so I couldn't.

Who sells a new vehicle that's down for months, under warranty, and refuses to even consider a loaner or demo bike?
Triumph Australia and the dodgy dealer that sold me my new 2013 Trophy.

THE worst bike I have ever bought.

9 faults in 3 months of ownership, thank God I still had my ever trusty 07

Lucky to find a dealer that sold Triumph and Yamaha so I could trade on a new 2014 without loosing too much.

And thank God the Trophy made it the 500 kms to the dealer, lucky to get around the block.

I really feel your pain, hope it all turns out well.

Cheers

"Who sells a new vehicle that's down for months, under warranty, and refuses to even consider a loaner or demo bike?"

TRIUMPH.

First warranty repair took 8 months. Second repair 3 months later, same issue, after 4 months of fighting over who was going to pay, ("your bike is now out of warranty") forced a refund of purchase.

-Steve

A different way to put it is- we all know brands and dealers that are either trouble prone, absent from product support, or both. I just didn't expect it to be Yamaha. Thanks for the kind words all.

You should be blowing up their phone. I'd make the receptionist that answers at Cypress cringe every time the phone rings. Until you raise enough Hell, no one high enough to help will be aware of your issue. You should also be all over Google and anywhere you can be, bashing the shit out of your dealer and Yamaha. Force them to pay attention.

"Who sells a new vehicle that's down for months, under warranty, and refuses to even consider a loaner or demo bike?" TRIUMPH. First warranty repair took 8 months. Second repair 3 months later, same issue, after 4 months of fighting over who was going to pay, ("your bike is now out of warranty") forced a refund of purchase. -Steve
Was that the wiring loom problem posted on the Trophy Forum site ? sorry on the hijack,

I was Qld Ken there with all the problems but I wasn't the only one.

Still lurk to have a little chuckle or two.

Cheers