2014 Stumble on accel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am approaching 2 years of Yamaha ownership. I, too, came from BMW. So far, the bike has had just as much downtime for repair as my RT, and I've had no better service from Yamaha corporate than I would have from BMW. But, due to the Yamaha extended warranty, I'll have zero dollars invested in repairs and parts over the two years, even though I lost months of riding time. I'm just hoping to get it fixed this week. I know from personal experience that heavy miles have a way of making bitterness over downtime and repairs fade quickly in ones memory.

The BMW gods have placed a curse on both of y'all for your unloyalty.

I think an exorcism is in order...

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it on the downlow that a run from Atlanta to Little Rock and back in one day will break most curses.

You know as far as the throttle body assembly goes about the only active components are the fuel injectors and the TPS. The rest of it just can't produce the symptoms Bill describes. Just not possible and I can't see how a fuel injector could be the issue. Could the ECU be involved? I would guess not since the ECU is probably pretty bullet proof unless a lot of other folks are having a similar problem and this might not be apparent unless your name is Yamaha. I would just bet on the TPS and it would be so easy to swap out. What, two screws and a connector?

Read the threads on this one. You are right. We all think similarly. But a bike purchased new and under warranty should be fixed by Yamaha. It would have been far more expedient, and actually cheaper for me, time and cash wise, to just have the TPS replaced, as has been discussed ad nauseum. I wanted to let the manufacturer and seller fulfill their obligations. Both Yamaha and the dealer have proven to be less than ideal contractual partners in this case. Keep in mind that we all firmly believe the TPS is the culprit, but don't actually know it. Unfortunately, we still may not know after my repair.... In summary, sharper minds than mine agree completely with your astute assessment. But once I was knee deep in the process of availing myself of the services the warranty is supposed to provide, fixing their problem on my own became less attractive, and less logical. If that makes sense.

Since the new fuel rail assembly includes the TPS, we aren't likely to know much about the existing one or any other component.......

I'll have zero dollars invested in repairs and parts over the two years, even though I lost months of riding time.
Just think about your friends to the north that will be garaged for 4-6 months for winter, and that notion won't be so painful. We're both lucky to have year-round riding (for the most part). Good luck with your repair this week!

Bill, I've been watching this thread and am disappointed in hearing the trials you've gone through--the disappointment is something I wish was 'just' a messed up instance, but seems more like a sign of the times. :( Good on you for posting the updates with as much facts and objectivity as possible (I think I'd be a lot more vocal and frustrated in my posts than you).

I hope the dealer's service department steps up and completes the job well. I'd be inspecting it very closely when done if it were mine, and providing written documentation of issues to both the dealer and to Yam Corporate.

It could be worse. The dealership has been helpful for most of the process. I'm cautiously excited about it being fixed, hopefully by the weekend. Yamaha, or their supplier, beat the part arrival date projected by yamaha's Georgia-based go F yourself squad by a month. It's easy to be philosophical in the home stretch.

It could be worse. The dealership has been helpful for most of the process. I'm cautiously excited about it being fixed, hopefully by the weekend. Yamaha, or their supplier, beat the part arrival date projected by yamaha's Georgia-based go F yourself squad by a month. It's easy to be philosophical in the home stretch.
Don't forget "Hofstadter's Law"

It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.............

It hurts...to laugh... Once of the justifications I used in switching from kraut to rice was parts availability. Too many times I had to wait for the Luftwaffe to send a part over. No one would have believed the sourcing or lag time for this part.

Official countdown time. Parts/bike/shop all together in one place. Parts arrived a week ago. Trailered the bike back to the dealer yesterday. Shop scheduler told me the only mechanic that could work on it was out sick, and he really hoped it was only a one day illness. Having the prescribed parts installed by COB today is reasonable, by COB Saturday should be super easy. My fidollah bet is on Tuesday or Wednesday, given my experience so far. Anyone else wants to take a guess, closest day and time to when the phone call comes wins a pack of gum and a challenge coin.