2016 SEOR Details

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm expecting my Klim badlands jacket in the mail today. Looks like I will be putting it through it paces as well.
BTW I have already made the call. I am not leaving until Friday morning. Thanks for the offer, though. Josh will be relieved to know his bed is safe for now.
mda.gif
^^^

That's good to hear. I was fretting over how to bring the nuclear/biohazard suit.

I figured it could double as a rain suit for some of the crybabies whining about getting wet if it rains!!⛈☁️⚡
Well If I did come in Thursday night there would have been a wet spot looking at the weather. If I am going to ride in rain I prefer it to be at least somewhat light out. And why did you take my "wet spot" comment so grossly out of context. That is so out of character for this forum!
not_i.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As of Wed morning, here's what the weather looks like IN Marietta.

Thur: temp 64-82, chance of a heavy thunderstorm AFTER 5pm. partly cloudy before that. dew point 60-66. Looks like a good day to ride, but get settled by 5-6pm.

Fri: temp 62-73. Overnight rain tapers off and quits completely by 9am. Cloudy in morning sunny afternoon. Dew point starts out about 60 & goes down to about 47. Looks like a good day to ride, just a bit of damp pavement in the morning.

Sat: Forecast says RAIN, but a closer look says .03" /hr till 11am, then .01" /hr till 2pm. Those are HUNDREDTHS of an inch.That's not enough to ruin anyone's day. temps 55-61, dew point around 50.

Sun: Partly cloudy & dry, temps 45-60, dew point in the low 40s.

Dew point is a humidity measure. Anything below 60 is dry & refreshing, 65 is starting to get stuffy, 70 and above is muggy.

For those who put all their eggs in the Saturday basket, you need to give serious consideration to doing 4 day weekends instead of 3. You get twice as much riding time at the rally, so your chances of having some good riding weather are much better.

You can look at the weather forecast for yourself here: https://www.wunderground.com/us/oh/marietta/zmw:45750.1.99999?MR=1

Norm Kern

And here's another look at the weekend weather...it'll be fine...you won't melt
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.41534637900048&lon=-81.45483680299964&site=all&smap=1#.VzMaYNIrKUn

I'll be there, and it looks like I won't have to wash my bike...now let's see how many bail.
They won't melt, but maybe they are afraid they are water-soluble and will dissolve! +1 on not washing the bike, though I'll clean the bugs off the windshield. See, this is a low maintenance event. Another plus!

Poll question: Does using an event hotel with an expensive cancellation policy help or hinder attendance?

Norm Kern

And here's another look at the weekend weather...it'll be fine...you won't melt
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.41534637900048&lon=-81.45483680299964&site=all&smap=1#.VzMaYNIrKUn

I'll be there, and it looks like I won't have to wash my bike...now let's see how many bail.
They won't melt, but maybe they are afraid they are water-soluble and will dissolve! +1 on not washing the bike, though I'll clean the bugs off the windshield. See, this is a low maintenance event. Another plus!

Poll question: Does using an event hotel with an expensive cancellation policy help or hinder attendance?

Norm Kern
You could reserve using their regular rates with full cancellation rights OR save $ by prepaying and relinquish refund rights at this hotel.

I will be there Thursday, ride Friday and Saturday, return home Sunday. I do not purposely ride in the rain but if it does rain a little while I'm somewhere, watching the radar usually allows you to select a route that will minimize the chance of getting wet.

My schedule was a little off this year, but I was down in Marietta this past weekend. There was a lot of rain in the area, but the roads were as great as ever. 26 is still one of my favorites. Have fun this weekend!!!!!

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to check in this thread during my own ride. I think it would be cool to share adventure tidbits.

**UPDATE**

I'm still IN!

Lil John just asked me if I was pussying out because some possible rain. The forecast seems to have gotten a little better, and some rain has never stopped us before!?!?!?

---------------

So for the North down crew?.... Be at the Kennedy Street Cafe in Bradford PA no later than 9am! (Thursday). And... Trevor is showing up, it never rains when he's there. 'Nuff Said :)

I have Linner planned at the infamous FbJ (Food by Jane). No slab, no Pittsburgh

It's also the Mid Ohio Valley....the weather will change at the last minute as well. More than likely folks will be dry. I'm still planning on making it up to the hotel on Thursday evening, barring a total deluge. Also not sure if my weekend plans are still on or not, so I'm questionable for the weekend, but am hoping to at least get out for half the day Friday before I need to go home and pack for VA.

Data,

As you're traveling east on 550, you'll come thru a little town called Sharpsburg. There's a BP station on the right as 550 goes right up the hill and 377 will go off to your left. If you've the time, take a peek inside. One of the more quirky shops you'll ever see on the inside.....
Good call there thompsonian.That's Gilchrist's convenience store...definitely NOT your typical convenience store.More like a 60's or 70's head shop with snacks,gas and fan belts.I assume they still sell gas.Athens and Meigs counties have a long history for leaning a little towards the hippy side of life and Gilchrist's keeps the spirit alive...the Meigs Gold era of SEO.

Besides,the best part of 550...the Sharpsberg Hill...is right behind Gilchrist's store.Then take Ray's advice and head North on 555 to get to 676 and take that all the way to Marietta.676 is one of the best roads you will be on all weekend and the section from 555 to the little town of Dale is about as twisty as you'll find in SEO.

Another point of interest on 676...when you get into Marietta 676 will come to a stop sign with a gas station directly in front of you.At the stop sign take a right,then take the next left and go until you t into another road and take another left.The Marietta overlook is up that road a few hundred yards.It's worth a look.

If you don't like my directions you could always google it.Our directions in the Buckeye state can be hard to follow,after all we determine North and South by,"is it by the lake or by the river."
This is good stuff - it involves more planning than I usually do . . . but we will see some good roads that would have been missed otherwise. The wife is balking some at the rain in the forecast, so the scenic overlook might just smooth things out a bit. And I like your directions just fine- we shall see if I can follow them . . .