21 Days, 18 States, 5,853 Miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
Moving my ride report to the new board!

The States - 18

North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee

The Route:

24575840-L.jpg

The trip started out with me dropping my helmet just outside of Atlanta. It landed on the mouth vent which I didn't notice was missing until we we already on the interstate. I picked up a new one in Atlanta.

The one on the right is the new one.

24576332-M.jpg

Our camera was having issues which ultimately got it replaced, so no pictures for the first few days. If you'd like to imagine Oklahoma and Texas winds, turn your monitor 30 degrees to the left and that's how we rode for almost 600 miles.

Here we are in the Carson National Forest in New Mexico

24576279-L.jpg

Julia in the same spot

24576280-L.jpg

Highway 550 between Durango and Silverton

24576283-L.jpg

A night spent in Silverton, CO

24576287-M.jpg

24576288-M.jpg

24576290-L.jpg

The road into Telluride, CO

24576294-L.jpg

At the top of the mountain in Telluride (and a good shot of my advrider shirt!)

24576297-L.jpg

Hwy 141 just south of Grand Junction (the best riding of our trip!) Thanks Blakebird for the tip of this road! We spent a couple hours winding through the San Miguel canyon--it was AWESOME!

24576299-L.jpg

We picked up a new camera in Grand Junction and I proceeded to drop my bike in the Circuit City parking lot. Here's the damage to the bag.

24580136-M.jpg

Dinosaur National Monument in Vernal, Utah.

24576300-L.jpg

Julia jumping for joy as we arrive inside of Grand Teton National Park. We spent 7 very peaceful and cool days at the park before venturing back towards home. It was just awesome there. I can't wait to return again.

24580066-L.jpg

24580068-L.jpg

And for our friends at ST.N (Jackson Lake with the Tetons in the background)

24580062-L.jpg

Yellowstone NP

Watch out for the wildlife and the Buffalo patties on the pavement!

24579657-L.jpg

24579663-L.jpg

Now, for the trip home. Leaving the Tetons and crossing Togwotee Pass, it snowed on us at 9600 feet.....scared the ___ out of me since I'm not used to snow in June!

Last stop of note before leaving Wyoming is Devil's Tower National Monument.

24581553-L.jpg

Then on to the Black Hills of South Dakota. We skipped Sturgis out of principle of the Janklow issue.

24577975-L.jpg

24577980-L.jpg

The Needles Highway

24577981-L.jpg

24577982-L.jpg

Who are these guys? I wasn't that excited to see Rushmore, but it was awesome!

24577986-L.jpg

24577987-L.jpg

Next stop, 2 nights at the Badlands National Park.

24577988-L.jpg

Our Cottage for 2 nights

24579673-L.jpg

24579678-L.jpg

And since it's on our way home, we had to ride through....who recognizes this spot??

24579689-L.jpg

This will give it away.

24579693-L.jpg

Excellent trip report and photos. My wife and I have been to most of those places on the bike...just not on the same trip!

Very nice!

Excellent trip report and photos. My wife and I have been to most of those places on the bike...just not on the same trip!
Very nice!
Awwww man, beautiful trip! Hey Admin, can you please make a separate forum for Ride posts? Thanks bro!

A) Great Ride, photos and report. Thanks!

B)

Hey Admin, can you please make a separate forum for Ride posts?
[SIZE=14pt]Good idea. Maybe you can set up separate sections for Pre-ride Posts (Ride Planning, cordinating routes, who plans to show up, etc.) and then a separate section for Post Ride Posts (reports, photos, who did show up, etc.).[/SIZE]

C) [SIZE=21pt] Beirut?[/SIZE]

D) Sorry for the weird looking post - just playing with the software

Last edited by a moderator:
Hwy 141 just south of Grand Junction (the best riding of our trip!) Thanks Blakebird for the tip of this road!  We spent a couple hours winding through the San Miguel canyon--it was AWESOME!
Great report John

I agree.......Hwy 141 and adjoining it is Hwy 145........love that road in Colorado. I will be doing that road next week

the most I have done was 14 states in 10 days, 4695 miles from Colorado to Florida via Deals Gap and returned thru the Lower Southern states.

How the heck did I miss this one...this was on the last page of threads...I went huntin for something cool and clicked on this first. Wow...great ride!

Go Penguins go!

awesome report and pics been to some .

It lools like us west coast guys and dolls will have to get to the east and ride that there deals gap :clap: :clap: :clap: weekend rider

Gitboxx!!!!!  You made it!  Where's bigdolma?  I'm gonna pester Joe and Ojai Roy...
+1

Interesting how long it's taking some people to find the new site. Oops! A thread from June. I missed it originally, too.