300 miles on a tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcfjr

Reaction score
On my way from Deals Gap last month I went from Christiansburg VA to Woodbridge VA on a single tank of gas. Then, because I had no time to get gas, I went on to work at Bolling AFB the next morning. When I finally got gas, I had 263 miles on the tank. I was able to get 5.5 gallons in before the gas reached the metal holes in the tank. With some pumps I can get another half gallon in but that particular pump was too touchy. I am now fairly convinced that I could get 300 miles on a tank given the right circumstances. I was at about 48 mpg on that tank so I only needed maybe another .9 gallons.

Question is, has anybody made the magic 300 yet?

I know this is a Friday but I'm all hopped up on sugar from the chocolate chip cookies I just baked...

Last edited by a moderator:
On my way from Deals Gap last month I went from Christiansburg VA to Woodbridge VA on a single tank of gas. Then, because I had no time to get gas, I went on to work at Bolling AFB the next morning. When I finally got gas, I had 263 miles on the tank. I was able to get 5.5 gallons in before the gas reached the metal holes in the tank. With some pumps I can get another half gallon in but that particular pump was too touchy. I am now fairly convinced that I could get 300 miles on a tank given the right circumstances. I was at about 48 mpg on that tank so I only needed maybe another .9 gallons.

Question is, has anybody made the magic 300 yet?

Iknow this is a Friday but I'm all hopped up on sugar from the chocolate chip cookies I just baked...
Often.... Butt then I have run out a few times too (Many) ;)

Have hit the 300 mile mark twice. Once going from Ardmore, OK to Austin, TX. But I can only do it if I make no stops on that tank of gas. The other time was in the very early morning in Canada; got 320 but I was clutching it on every downgrade :( .

Yep , got 335 miles once when ride'n with a cruizer buddy at about 55mph
Yeah, well, I was cruising at around 75 mph on I81. 55 on that road is a death sentence. I'd also lose my mind going that slow but I suppose it's a guaranteed way to get to 300.

I have not got 300 miles out of a tank, but I have got 56mpg which would do it.

Yeah, well, I was cruising at around 75 mph on I81. 55 on that road is a death sentence. I'd also lose my mind going that slow but I suppose it's a guaranteed way to get to 300.
55mph isn't slow depending on your road and tight twisties. Those tight twisties that keep me about that speed or slower get me the best mileage. I go faster like on the freeway at a steady... ummm speed, I get about 40mpg, not worthy of 300/tank.
Ride on. ;)

Many times. Especially on this FJR which gets fairly good fuel mileage. Not too many times on my first FJR which had a PCIII installed and got worse fuel mileage. Still, the old girl got 306 miles on a tank on her last ride. Clicky. :(

I can get 300+ miles on a tank anytime. But I don't ride aggressively nor do I explore the upper rpm range very often. The upper limit on mpg for my riding style is 54+. I've gotten that many times during my 58K miles on the '04 FJR. Original windshield in the fully down position.

Amazingly the viscosity of the engine oil can affect mpg. Before the last change I was using 20w-50 and the mpg dropped to 52+. When I went back to my standard 15w-40 the mpg bounced back up to 54+. Pumping the 20w-50 must take a bit more energy.

The best I ever did was coming home the back roads from Amercaide one year taking it easy. Went 192 miles on 3.6 gallons that is what 53.4 miles to the gallon. On a 6.6 gallon tank I would have gone 352 miles.

I have not got 300 miles out of a tank, but I have got 56mpg which would do it.

55mph isn't slow depending on your road and tight twisties. Those tight twisties that keep me about that speed or slower get me the best mileage. I go faster like on the freeway at a steady... ummm speed, I get about 40mpg, not worthy of 300/tank.
Ride on. ;)
I'm with ya there. The best mileage I've ever gotten was on H 12 over Lolo Pass. Many folks talk about that road, and the signs that read winding road for the next 99 miles (or whatever). The speed limit is 50 mph and at a constant 55 in the straights and corners I get really good mileage.

Many times. Especially on this FJR which gets fairly good fuel mileage. Not too many times on my first FJR which had a PCIII installed and got worse fuel mileage. Still, the old girl got 306 miles on a tank on her last ride. Clicky. :(
Dude, you spoiled the ending for me. I've hit gravel a few times but have always been able (lucky) to keep her upright. That's why I prefer to ride at Deals Gap...never see any gravel there!

I've only done it once.

I thought there was something wrong with my bike because everyone else was getting better mileage than I was getting. I decided to cool it and ride at reasonable speeds (usually 5mph over posted, never 10mph over posted).

Gawd! That was a boring 300+ miles. I'll never do that again.

Dude, you spoiled the ending for me. I've hit gravel a few times but have always been able (lucky) to keep her upright. That's why I prefer to ride at Deals Gap...never see any gravel there!
Just the odd assortment of squids, 18 wheelers and wannabe cage racers coming at you on the wrong side of the road in blind curves.