5 Day Ride - Twin Cities South and Back - Ideas?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdaniel

Has A Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey upper Midwesterners, can you give a brutha some ride ideas for late July? I'm flying back to the ol' stomping grounds of the Twin Cities, and looking for some good route ideas for a 4-5 day trip South, roughly skirting the Mississippi. My buddy works for Polaris, so will be riding a new Victory Vision, and my bro-in-law is riding a Gold Wing. I'm leaving the Feejer in Texas, so will be riding whatever Victory is sitting around in the factory pool. We're just looking for some good scenery, probably about 300 miles/day. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Forget south, and work northern Wisconsin, Michigan UP, ride the lakes. South, shit gets flat fast. Sit on the couch and make motor noises for 8 hours, cheaper and the fridge is closer.

Forget south, and work northern Wisconsin, Michigan UP, ride the lakes. South, shit gets flat fast. Sit on the couch and make motor noises for 8 hours, cheaper and the fridge is closer.
Did Northern Wisc. and the UP, to Copper Harbor, 2 years ago with these guys. If it was up to me, I'd have 'em come down here to the Hill Country and ride, but late July in Texas takes its toll on the uninitiated.... :blink:

Well,

I would go North and head up to Duluth and follow Scenic 61 all the way up the North Shore to Canada.. Queens Highway out of Thunder Bay

is beautiful!!

OR...

Leave the Twin Cities South on Highway 61... Cross into WI at Prescott and run WI Hwy 35 South along the river to the Quad Cities area. Very nice too!!

WW

Iowa has a kick ass steak house just cross the border from minnesota...Check it out..............

Late July? The South? Hope you like 100 degree days. Even the nights will be 85+. Hell, I'm going to Canada in July.

Hey upper Midwesterners, can you give a brutha some ride ideas for late July? I'm flying back to the ol' stomping grounds of the Twin Cities, and looking for some good route ideas for a 4-5 day trip South, roughly skirting the Mississippi. My buddy works for Polaris, so will be riding a new Victory Vision, and my bro-in-law is riding a Gold Wing. I'm leaving the Feejer in Texas, so will be riding whatever Victory is sitting around in the factory pool. We're just looking for some good scenery, probably about 300 miles/day. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
Keep me posted regarding route and dates of travel. I am located in eastern IA - just picked up an 08 Raven and always looking for a reason to put on a few miles. Dave Durr

I agree with Webby...southwest Wisconsin has rolling hills and curvy roads all the way down to Galena Illinois.

Dave

Keep me posted regarding route and dates of travel. I am located in eastern IA - just picked up an 08 Raven and always looking for a reason to put on a few miles. Dave Durr

I just moved from omahell to Iowa city. My plan is to ride over to Niobrara, NE and see if some of those same people I met last year will be there. It's a boooooring ride through central SD and NE...

rickcorwn, valetz, 07SDFJR??? anyone?!?

I'm with Wicked Webby, go nort! Might be cooler too.
FJRChik,

Considering your roots..How are you doing with all that heat down there?

WW
it sucks and i hate it. it got way too hot, way too fast this year. and too humid too. can't wait to move away. haven't rode in several weeks now cause its just not fun. am gonna go for ice cream tonight though.

i'm looking at riding up to MN for the 4th of july. i've always wanted to ride up there and i love doing the 4th up there. Fairmont puts on a pretty killer show for a small town and then we go to grandma's lake house in SW MN for more fireworks there. i'm really excited about it. and i'll hit the twin cities to see all my friends too. haven't been home in a year and half, which is a long time for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved from omahell to Iowa city. My plan is to ride over to Niobrara, NE and see if some of those same people I met last year will be there. It's a boooooring ride through central SD and NE...
TC, are you talking about CFO or a July date like this slightly mis-placed thread?

Next weekend a bunch of us are headed for Niobrara just be cause, look here.

OR...
Leave the Twin Cities South on Highway 61... Cross into WI at Prescott and run WI Hwy 35 South along the river to the Quad Cities area. Very nice too!!

WW
SW Minnesota is just as nice. Following along the Root River from Lanesboro to Lacrosse. Lots of good roads up and down to river valley.

Iowa has a kick ass steak house just cross the border from minnesota...Check it out..............

Nice... post whore... oh wait... that's me too. Suppose I should contribute...

I grew up in the area (as did twistedcricket) and can second the notion that the roads along the mississippi in northeast IA/Southwest WI can be fun. Watch for the small town one bullet barneys that will pull you over just for something to do.

A great contact for this area is a brother of mine who racks up many miles on his Buell on these very roads. Andyman at chandajane dot com. He loves to help people out.

worldbound4now

TC, are you talking about CFO or a July date like this slightly mis-placed thread?

Next weekend a bunch of us are headed for Niobrara just be cause, look here..
Misplaced... I didn't read the time-frame.

No Niobrara for me this early in the year, I'll be in Vegas. :)