$83 oil change?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you use Hog Lard for the eggs, or is the additive package wrong?
You couldn't use hog lard if you were a vegetarian. No. Wait. Can vegetarians eat eggs? Damn, now I don't know what the hell to do! This is really gettin' silly, and it's Fred's fault.

Vegetarians can eat eggs. Vegans are the ones that not only avoid meat, but just about any animal derived product.

They have fry their tofu in peanut oil.

This is really gettin' silly, and it's Fred's fault.
Huh? How do I get the blame for the silliness?

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Varieties of vegetarianismThere are a number of types of vegetarianism, which exclude or include various foods.

• Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.
  • Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.
  • Ovo-lacto vegetarianism (or lacto-ovo vegetarianism) includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey.
  • Veganism excludes all animal flesh and products, such as milk, honey, and eggs, as well as items refined or manufactured through any such product, such as bone-char refined white sugar or animal-tested baking soda.
  • Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.[26]
  • Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.[27]
  • Sattvic diet (also known as yogic diet), a plant based diet which may also include dairy (not eggs) and honey, but excludes anything from the onion or leek family, red lentils, durian fruit, mushrooms, blue cheeses, fermented foods or sauces, alcoholic drinks and often also excludes coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, nutmeg or any other type of stimulant such as excess sharp spices.
  • Buddhist vegetarianism. Different Buddhist traditions have differing teachings on diet, which may also vary for ordained monks and nuns compared to others. Many interpret the precept 'not to kill' to require abstinence from meat, but not all. In Taiwan, su vegetarianism excludes not only all animal products but also vegetables in the allium family (which have the characteristic aroma of onion and garlic): onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, chives, or shallots.
  • Jain vegetarianism includes dairy but excludes eggs and honey, as well as root vegetables.
  • Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans.

white-flag-smile.gif

You know, thinking back to the big "Wheat Belly Diet" thread earlier this year, dietary whims are a lot like religion and politics. People get very vociferous defending their choices over anyone else's. We probably ought not to discuss them here on a motorcycle forum.
wink.png

FWIW - I subscribe to the straight Seefood Diet. I see food and I eat it!

And bringing this back around OT, sometimes it has oil on it. And when we go out to eat it often costs more than $83.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ken. I've read that entire article, as well as others like it. Nicely done and fairly easy to understand: thank God. Some of them fellers can get pretty fancy with them thar words. Nomenclature gives me a headache. Nice to see SOMEBODY around here knows where to look to find out what's what. From the text of linkie #1 above,

Quote:

"...To make a 10w-40 oil, the manufacturer would start out with a 10 weight oil as the base stock. All by itself, this oil would thin out so much at normal operating temperatures that the oil film would be useless. So, they add these very special very long molecules, the VIIs. The VII molecules are as much as 1000 times as long as an oil molecule. The VII molecules curl up in a little ball at room temperature, but as the temperature gets higher they uncurl and stretch out, like a cat sleeping in the sunlight. The more stretched out the molecule is, the more it impedes the normal flow of the oil, thus raising the effective viscosity. Now, this sounds just a little too good to be true. Well, there are two catches: first, these molecules are not lubricants, so the more of them that you add the less oil you have sitting around lubricating things. Secondly, these VII molecules can be broken into pieces by various pressures and forces, like being squeezed through the transmission gears in a motorcycle or the hydraulic valves in a diesel engine. Every time a VII molecule gets broken, the oil loses some of its high temperature viscosity."

Therefore, as I said before, a multi weight oil is actually a very thin oil with additives that thicken it as it gets hotter... and those molecules don't like places like motorcycle transmissions.

That is of course, putting it very simply. Addiitves like VIIs do not change the viscosity of the oil itself. It still thins as it gets hot. But these additives (by themselves) thicken so much when they get hot, the combination of {VII's and oil} have a higher viscosity as the mixture heats up.

Gary

But what I've learned by reading several sources recommended on this forum: your regular oil has additives that enable it to change viscosity as gets hot. Don't get mad at me, I'll be brief. Your 15W40 oil is actually 15 weight oil (thin) that thickens to 40 weight when it gets warm. The additive that makes that happen doesn't like things like gears. It breaks down and can no longer increase viscosity to nominal levels.

Gary

darksider #44
Uh, Teacher? Are you sure about that? I am fairly certain that the oil gets thinner when hot, not thicker.
You're right: oil, by itself, gets thinner when it gets hot. Nobody in their right mind would dispute that. But read what I said right after the item you underscored above, Fish. "The additive that makes this happen..." That additive impedes flow, therefore increasing viscosity. It indeed causes the oil to "thicken" as it gets hot. The mixture of the raw oil, which gets thinner when it gets hot, and the additive, which gets thicker when it gets hot, yields a mixture that indeed gets thicker as it heats up. Hence the rating 10W30. The 10 refers to those cold winter temps. The 30 refers to normal operating temps. My point? Multi viscosity oils are not thick oil that get thinner when it gets cold. The opposite is true. They are thin oils fortified to "act" thicker as they get hot. See the post above about VII additives that make this happen.

From another website, (QUOTE) "Scientists discovered the use of polymers and the fact that these would expand with heat. VI Improvers are polymer material that expands as the oil warms up. This does NOT thicken the oil as is often stated. It merely slows down the rate at which oil thins out as the temperature rises. The base oil in use in a multi-grade is the first number (such as 10W), where as the second grade is the viscosity achieved using the VI Improver (such as 30). 10W30 is a base oil of SAE 10W and the viscosity grade at running temperature is SAE 30."

I'm afraid you'll need to see me after class...

Gary

You know, thinking back to the big "Wheat Belly Diet" thread earlier this year, dietary whims are a lot like religion and politics. People get very vociferous defending their choices over anyone else's. We probably ought not to discuss them here on a motorcycle forum. ;)
FWIW - I subscribe to the straight Seefood Diet. I see food and I eat it!

And bringing this back around OT, sometimes it has oil on it. And when we go out to eat it often costs more than $83.
See, and although I'm not really that religious, I figure if God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat...Meat that can be really good if the proper oil is used.

That additive impedes flow, therefore increasing viscosity. It indeed causes the oil to "thicken" as it gets hot.
Nope. Still wrong.

Thickness = viscosity. All motor oils, even the most heavily fortified multi-viscosity oil (with all the stretching cat molecules in the world) will still get thinner as it gets warmer. Those fancy multi-vis oils just get "less thinner".

Less thinner is not the same as thicker.
nono.gif

@zilla - It is not a coincidence that the word MEAT includes the words ME and EAT. If the supreme being didn't want man to eat meat he would not have spelled it that way.

edit - some would argue that he meant EAT ME, which is either obscene or cannibalism.

tonguesmiley.gif

So, following that thought line, the zombie's choice in haute cuisine will be those living souls who had previously abstained from the eating of any animal meat or meat byproducts (aka Vegans), fattened only on the finest vegetables and grain, regardless of the cost? Kinda like Sandai Wagyuu beef is now, for us carnivorous heathens?

Yes, I think we are definitely onto something here... We just need to force feed those Vegans more beer to complete the effect.

...(aka Vegans), fattened only on the finest vegetables and grain...Kinda like Sandai Wagyuu beef ...We just need to force feed those Vegans more beer to complete the effect.
Don't forget the daily massages. So, do you deep fry or smoke Vegans? This kind of larder filler is known as Long Pork in the cannibal world, so I'm thinking either a pit or hickory for 20 hrs or so. If you use oil, it's ok for this to be energy conserving along with a high flash point.

To the OP; just consider that for your 83 dollars you got a clutch soak (and a free oil change). Not a bad deal at all.

How do we know he got a clutch soak? Did I miss something?