90 Degree angled wheel valve stem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, escapfirst and I both got a negative feedback on that, and we apparently neutralized it for each other.. FWIW, I don't have a dog in the fight, but someone here does. Simple facts...I am not in a position to pay 50% more for something, but I will make a reasonable effort if the vendor will meet me half-way. It's not personal, and this is not a vendor thread. If I get a chance to support that business, and fellow FJR rider for something that is a good deal, I most certainly will.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple weeks ago I had a new front tire installed by my dealer (Continental ContiMotion - paid $45 for it from PCA - luvin it so far but that's for another thread) and I asked him if he could put a 90 degree valve stem on. He asked one of the mechanics if a Honda valve stem(?) would fit and he said that he would put one on there - charged me $10 for it.

IMG_3578.JPG

Now, as far as Nitrogen goes, since air is 78 percent nitrogen, it's MUCH cheaper to simply fill your tire 22 percent more than normal, since the oxygen, H20 vapor and other gasses will leak out first, since the nitrogen molecules are SO much larger than O2 and H2O, so simply air your tires up to 49 pounds instead of 40, and in a few days/weeks, the oxygen and water vapor will have seeped out, leaving you with 100% nitrogen at the correct pressure. I read it on the neenernet, so it MUST be true. :)
RH, you are a genius! Now if I only had 90° stems so I could fill my tires.

This is not a vendor thread, so I'll say it. These appear to be Ariete Bridgeport 83 degree valve stems, and discount or not, they can be had for $18 all over the place. I'm all for supporting a fellow forum member, but unless they are something really different, the $32.95 price on bikeeffects is not competitive. Don't shoot the messenger. :assassin:

This is not a vendor thread, so I'll say it. These appear to be Ariete Bridgeport 83 degree valve stems, and discount or not, they can be had for $18 all over the place. I'm all for supporting a fellow forum member, but unless they are something really different, the $32.95 price on bikeeffects is not competitive. Don't shoot the messenger. :assassin:
Well said Tom, there are many other businesses out there that appreciate their customers. :dntknw:

--G

You're Right So, shoot you I Wil Not! :lol:
Sorry guys, but the reason Ariete's are cheaper is that missing 7 degrees!! :p :p :p

Scott, get the 90 degree valve stems from Bike Effects. They work great! And real safe too! Now, take a deep breath and Chill Dude. :unsure:
Gotta agree, I'm using them on the FJR and the GSX1100G, they are a 100% improvement over the OEM valve stems.
No!! This is clearly hype.

They are only a 90 degree (50%) improvement over stock. If they were a 100% improvement, the valve stem would be inside the tire and it would never lose air. :blink:

Wouldn't that would be a 180% improvement then?

I tuned in to see why there were already two pages on a post from earlier today for a supposedly simple question regarding 90 degree valve stems. The only thing missing from this thread now is a couple of pics of Salma Hayek, but I have faith that Don will be along to complete the job.

Oh yeah, I have the Bikeeffects ones from Jeff which have served me well for over 7 years.

A couple weeks ago I had a new front tire installed by my dealer (Continental ContiMotion - paid $45 for it from PCA - luvin it so far but that's for another thread) and I asked him if he could put a 90 degree valve stem on. He asked one of the mechanics if a Honda valve stem(?) would fit and he said that he would put one on there - charged me $10 for it.

IMG_3578.JPG
Just my $.02, but I'd be very careful with that stem. IIRC, Honda [Goldwing?] rims have a retainer to support / restrain / securely anchor the loose end of the stem.

Not to be Chicken Little...but watch that stem closely. It would really suck for it to come out at speed.

--G

Just my $.02, but I'd be very careful with that stem. IIRC, Honda [Goldwing?] rims have a retainer to support / restrain / securely anchor the loose end of the stem.

Not to be Chicken Little...but watch that stem closely. It would really suck for it to come out at speed.

--G
I agree. That's the one I've heard and FJR rider had issues...the largish moment arm (steel vs. aluminum and rubber base vs. o-ringed fastener) combined with high rotational speeds at FJR max speeds seem subuptimal to me.

IMG_3578.JPG
Just fair warning, those are the stems that have come apart more than once. If it were me, I'd but the all metal stems from PCA and make the dealer refund my money on those pieces of jink he put on.

I've had the PCA stems for a few years and love them.

. . . watch that stem closely. It would really suck for it to come out at speed.
This is what I thought when I saw this piccie. I didn't have the extra torque that a longer and angled stem like this might put on the rubber flange that seems to be holding this thing in, but it sure looks like the cheapo valve stem--at least the rubber part does--that kind of popped out or worked itself out or whatever the hell it did to deflate my tire on the road out of Scotty's Castle during a Death Valley 60-mph dust storm a couple years back. It was most unpleasant standing there waiting for a tow truck to come the 120 miles or so from Pahrump to haul me and my ruined tire back to their shop. 90 degrees, 180 degrees, any number of degrees, there will never be a valve stem held in by one of these b.s. rubber retainers on any vehicle I ever ride or drive again.

. . . watch that stem closely. It would really suck for it to come out at speed.
...popped out or worked itself out or whatever the hell it did to deflate my tire on the road out of Scotty's Castle during a Death Valley 60-mph dust storm a couple years back...
I had those on for a short while also, maybe about 1000 miles? I wasn't going very fast when it let go, but I was splitting lanes. Never used those crappy stems again...

The pictures of the 90 degree valve stems sold by a forum member appear to be the ones that use a rubber cone to seal the valve stem hole. There are others that appear identical but use an o-ring to seal against the surface of the rim. I do not know about the FJR's rim but typically that surface is not finished flat and smooth and the o-ring type can and probably will leak. Yes I am a lurker, every time I go to buy an FJR a "can't say no" deal appears on something else. I'm looking again.

The pictures of the 90 degree valve stems sold by a forum member appear to be the ones that use a rubber cone to seal the valve stem hole. There are others that appear identical but use an o-ring to seal against the surface of the rim. I do not know about the FJR's rim but typically that surface is not finished flat and smooth and the o-ring type can and probably will leak. Yes I am a lurker, every time I go to buy an FJR a "can't say no" deal appears on something else. I'm looking again.
If you buy from BikeEffects, it's the right kind...

...popped out or worked itself out or whatever the hell it did to deflate my tire on the road out of Scotty's Castle during a Death Valley 60-mph dust storm a couple years back...
I had those on for a short while also, maybe about 1000 miles? I wasn't going very fast when it let go, but I was splitting lanes. Never used those crappy stems again...
Thanks for the advice. I think how I'll approach this is to keep an eye on the rubber boot for any cracking/stress on the rubber as the miles go by. Maybe I'll get a pair of "good" ones and get it changed out with the next tire change.

Thanks for the advice. I think how I'll approach this is to keep an eye on the rubber boot for any cracking/stress on the rubber as the miles go by. Maybe I'll get a pair of "good" ones and get it changed out with the next tire change.
I love it when guys come on here, ask a question, and then when given the answer, decide to do what they want anyway.

So you're clear: When that stem fails, you won't see cracking or stress. The shape and two different materials of that stem will cause it to do weird things at say 70mph. That will cause the stem to tear or eject itself from the bike. You will lose air fast and have to be trailered home.

BUT...do what you want.

I love it when guys come on here, ask a question, and then when given the answer, decide to do what they want anyway.

So you're clear: When that stem fails, you won't see cracking or stress. The shape and two different materials of that stem will cause it to do weird things at say 70mph. That will cause the stem to tear or eject itself from the bike. You will lose air fast and have to be trailered home.

BUT...do what you want.
If you'll read my reply, I didn't ask a question so I wasn't looking for an answer. I replied to a post, sharing my recent experience. Some others were nice enough to share their experience and, as I said, I will take that into consideration in what I decide to do or not do. As we have all seen on the NEPRT, you'll read horror stories and success stories about the same product so you need to gather all the information you can before making a decision on anything.

OK, where are the Salma Hayek pictures? Valve stems? meh... :dribble: