90 Degree angled wheel valve stem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So to summarize:

1. OP concerned about safety, mocked, lambasted.

2. Consensus by the powers-that-be is purchase forum member's replacement stems.

3. Minor dispute over price/value of said stems.

4. Photo showing different stems now certified safety issue (confirmed

by the powers-that-be).

5. Salma's tits show up on schedule (by unexpected source).

OK--let's continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to summarize:

2. Consensus by the powers-that-be is purchase forum member's replacement stems.

by the powers-that-be).

OK--let's continue.
S.N.A.F.U. but nice tits are always welcome :lol:

So to summarize:

by the powers-that-be).

OK--let's continue.
S.N.A.F.U. but nice tits are always welcome :lol:
Amen Brother Ray! There is NO such thing as Too many pictures of a great Rack! :lol:

Now I'm wondering where the Hell did the OP go?! He hasn't been back since starting this thing. You Sons-of-Bitches didn't scare him off did you?! :unsure:

So to summarize:

by the powers-that-be).

OK--let's continue.

I nominate that spud go through all the threads on the FJRForum and provide summaries. He's so darned good at it...and it would save alot of needless reading threads and finding Beemerdon's body going down the pool slide in the various threads.

And not mentioned, but highly germane perhaps, (at least as an alternate solution and mentioned in some other air pressure threads), is to use an air pressure gauge with a 90 degree offset. Quite a few of air adding equipment, i.e., compressors, bicycle pumps, etc., come with offsets (as standard).

There was a poll done several years ago on valve stem failure. Seems rare unless it happens to you, then it sucks.

I did pick up the Ariete Bridgeport 90/83 degree stems on Ebay for $18.00 shipped. Seems like a great idea to save knuckles.
Nearly time for a new rear tire and tho I've never had a problem with my 90* valve stems I think it's time I upgrade. Thanks for the link!

edit: they're $18.50 now and free shipping.

And not mentioned, but highly germane perhaps, (at least as an alternate solution and mentioned in some other air pressure threads), is to use an air pressure gauge with a 90 degree offset. Quite a few of air adding equipment, i.e., compressors, bicycle pumps, etc., come with offsets (as standard).

Yep. I've never had a problem with the short, straight stems and they're cheap. Then again, I have girly small hands with nible long fingers.

OK, where are the Salma Hayek pictures? Valve stems? meh... :dribble:
Feel better???

salma-hayek-62.jpg
I don't know what this pic has to do with valve stems but if did I am picturing 83 degrees instead of 90 degrees. :wub:

The gauge for checking the pressure is only part of the problem & solution.

You also have to get an air chuck for your compressor that has a 90 degree head. My favorite one (with a built in, accurate, analog pressure gauge) does not, so the 90 degree stems are mo' gooder.

The gauge for checking the pressure is only part of the problem & solution.

You also have to get an air chuck for your compressor that has a 90 degree head. My favorite one (with a built in, accurate, analog pressure gauge) does not, so the 90 degree stems are mo' gooder.
FredW is wrong again!!

It's "Mo' BETTAH", not "gooder"

Sheesh!

A couple weeks ago I had a new front tire installed by my dealer (Continental ContiMotion - paid $45 for it from PCA - luvin it so far but that's for another thread) and I asked him if he could put a 90 degree valve stem on. He asked one of the mechanics if a Honda valve stem(?) would fit and he said that he would put one on there - charged me $10 for it.

IMG_3578.JPG
Obviously and have a dog in this hunt but with that bent tube valve stem I would be very afraid of what centrifugal force can do to that stem. Sorry to rain on your parade. The valve stems that I sell have been used by many AMA race teams and I recently saw them installed on wheels for MotoGP bikes which can reach speeds in excess of 200 MPH.

OK, I'm confused by all the back and forth. Are the Areite Bridgeport stems what Bike Effects is selling for almost double the price? I like to support family but a 40% premium is hard to take. Pls, can someone clarify whether or not these are the same product? Tks.

There was a poll done several years ago on valve stem failure. Seems rare unless it happens to you, then it sucks.

I did pick up the Ariete Bridgeport 90/83 degree stems on Ebay for $18.00 shipped. Seems like a great idea to save knuckles.
Nearly time for a new rear tire and tho I've never had a problem with my 90* valve stems I think it's time I upgrade. Thanks for the link!

OK, I'm confused by all the back and forth. Are the Areite Bridgeport stems what Bike Effects is selling for almost double the price? I like to support family but a 40% premium is hard to take. Pls, can someone clarify whether or not these are the same product? Tks.

Mine were installed last weekend by the master. If they're not the same, he couldn't tell the difference, and neither could I.

Note at that link you can "Make an Offer"...offer $18, and they're yours.

valvestem003Medium_zps88bec614.jpg

Obviously and have a dog in this hunt but with that bent tube valve stem I would be very afraid of what centrifugal force can do to that stem. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Some folks had problems but it seems the vast majority (including me) do not so let's not blow it out of proportion or resort to fear-for-sales tactics. Can you drop your price? Seems many of us would buy from you but you charge too much for these.

A couple weeks ago I had a new front tire installed by my dealer (Continental ContiMotion - paid $45 for it from PCA - luvin it so far but that's for another thread) and I asked him if he could put a 90 degree valve stem on. He asked one of the mechanics if a Honda valve stem(?) would fit and he said that he would put one on there - charged me $10 for it.

IMG_3578.JPG
The other thing I notice in this picture is that the stem isn't even rotated out towards the side where it is the most convenient for check/refill. My guess is that that neck of that particular stem is too long and would hit the rotor if aimed towards the side as it should be. The Ariete's seem to me to be the way to go - they have an oring that seals against the rim and are short enough to be positioned to the side. I've got them on the FJR and FZ1.

Ok here it goes, I'm going to add my 4 cents because my 4 cent opinion is twice as valuable as any ones 2 cent opinion.

I suggest the OP walk into a Harley Davidson dealership, (that's right I said Harley Davidson) :eek: , and purchase valve stem extenders.

They are a simple fix to fill motorcycle tires.

They are 10 inch air fill tube that screws on your valve stem and allows the air filler person to easily fill his/her tire to the PSI desired without the use of profanity, if desired.

The cost is $10.

In my ever so humble opinion, this wallet busting device will make it easy for one to check tire pressure and can be utilized until the motorcycle rider decides to go with the aforementioned 87 or 90 degree valve stems.

BTW this device works on both My HD and my FJR...will wonders ever cease? :eek:

Do the valve stems still work if it's colder than 90 degrees? Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

...and by the way, I have a high pressure gas generator that outputs 78% nitrogen for filling tires. I'd be willing to sell it to the highest bidder.