A Great Loss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remembered a poem I had heard long ago... thought I'd share it here...

Do not stand at my grave and weep.

I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the Gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the mornings hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circled flight,

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there, I did not die.

-Author Unknown

This came yesterday from Ken's wife and close friends. Many of us L-D types won't be able to make it back from the IBR finish in time, but we'll be there in our thoughts.

Dearest Friends:

Late Saturday evening, our beloved friend, Ken, died in a motorcycle accident while competing in the Utah 1088 rally. Ken will be greatlymissed by his wife Lisa, son Sam, and his many friends. We have all been greatly inspired by Ken- his kindness, intelligence, warmth,loyalty and drive are just a few of his remarkable qualities that have touched each of us in many ways. Ken was finishing up his Associate’s Degree and was eager to start nursing school, so he could repair people in the same way he repaired everything else.

We will be celebrating Ken’s life on Saturday, July 2nd, 2011, from 2-5 pm, by having a casual gathering at the home he shared with Lisa in Vancouver, WA. Ken wanted to be sent off, not with a formal service, but with his friends and loved ones to be together. His request is to have everyone rev their motorcycles at the some moment in his honor; this will take place at 4:00 on Saturday. If you would like to make a donation, Ken requested it go to Animal Rescue and Care Fund Inc (https://www.pdx-petadoption.org/).

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

We miss you Ken,

Lisa, Cindy, Ted & Tamara

-------------------------------------------------

Date and Time:

July 2nd, 2011 @ 2pm

Engine Rev Send Off: 4:00 pm

9512 NW 23rd Ave

Vancouver, WA 98665

map: https://bit.ly/iWN7sT

I decided to take some time before I said my thoughts. I'm pretty new to the LD world and I know a lot of riders and friends I've never met. I knew Eddie James but never met him, I knew Davo Jones but never met him, and I knew Ken Morton but never met him. For that I am sorry, but I am glad I knew them all. Clear skies and open roads guys.

I did not know Ken other than from this board and others. Still a very tough loss for our collective moto-family. My thoughts & prayers go out to the family and friends closest to him. Godspeed Ken.

To Ken's family members: I'm another who didn't know--never met--your husband, son, or dad, and I know there is nothing I can say--or anyone can say--that will make you feel better. I just want to re-emphasize the heartfelt support and compassion that his fellow riders are sending your way, and the only way I can do that is to add my name to those just trying to post a little show of support for you. All of our thoughts are with you.
My prayers and thoughts too. I can't say it better than Mike has. If I have a choice in how I one day leave this life, it would be doing something I love and am passionate about, which is how I reflect on Ken; but my heart aches deeply for those left behind.

David.
I have no better words, but wish to reflect what's already been said. Kneeagrams to all Ken's friends and fellow riders alike. My and my family's deepest sympathys and condolences on the loss of Ken and may somehow feelings of comfort and peace come from great memories and stories of a wonderful life.

May God Bless Us All,

Mike

in Nawlins'

I am so bummed out hearing that Ken had a fatal accident. I met Ken at a Long Distance Riders RTE call by IronMaiden in Mount Vernon, Oregon.

DSCN0861.jpg

Lisa (ironmaiden), Ken and Lisa Morton

Ken is known for calling RTE (Ride To Eat) gatherings at some of his favorite places. Like the Wet Dog Cafe in Astoria, Or. (He loved the Wet Dog). He also called ones at McMenamins in Centrailia for his birthday and McMenamins in Bend for at test ride of a new bike. Ken would make some of these rides a challenge, like adding "how many passes can you get?" which made it a lot of fun as you went out of your way to add as many as possible, only to be out done by Ken, because he would add some silly bonuses that only he had access to and therefore would win. Here is one of my favorite pictures of Ken hugging Reno John (front row right, Ken in the white shirt).

DSCN7613.jpg

Over the last 5 years we made a number of rides together. One to warm up the Goldwing for his Iron Butt event a few years ago. One to test out the Tuono in the twisties near Glendale, WA prior to the 1088, and the ride back from Bend, OR where he was testing a Triumph Sprint ( bike failed, just didn't fit right). Then there was a ride with three FJR's. Kens on the left.

P1010116.jpg

I just listened to the Rev Off for Ken and it was great. I left for a 7 day ride on the 26th and didn't hear about Ken's accident unit just a hour ago so i am sad that I missed the Rev Off. Ken lived less than a 1/4 mile from my house and I often saw him out and about on the his VStrom 1000. My prayers for Lisa and and the rest of the family. Here is the last picture of Ken at one of his Eats. I had some good times with you my friend and I will miss you. Ken Morton (Candy Ass Lama)

DSCN7595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hate having to type this. I first met Ken at White Stag a few years ago, and he has become a friend since then.

I knew about the Buffalo Checkpoint bonus on the 1088, and that Matt and Ken would be attempting the ride. While on the Iron Butt Rally, I was heading to the checkpoint, and as I was exiting the Toll Road, saw Matt Watkins with his distinctive colored FJR entering the Toll Road. I gave him a big wave, and he waved back at me. I knew Matt was on a mission, and was travelling in a rather expeditious manner. I wondered if Ken was behind him.

I pulled into the hotel parking lot, stopped the rally clock, moved my bike, and got my stuff for scoring. As I was walking back to the hotel, I heard a magical, disembodied voice say, " I am a Utah 1088 rider and I need to find an IBR rider to take a picture." I looked over, and it was Ken. I hollered "KEN"!! He turned and looked at me and said, "Dougie, I was hoping I would see you here." I threw my stuff on the ground, and got out my rally flag, which I had not used up to that point. Ken got off of his V-Strom, and gave his flag to someone to position it against my body as he took his picture. After that, he got his flag, and I picked my stuff off the ground, and started heading to the hotel. As I was leaving, he said "Hey!" and gave me a 1088 hat, which was part of the requirement of the bonus, to show the brotherhood amongst the two different rallies. I took the hat, and continued on into the Hotel. Ken was in a hurry, and I don't believe he went into the hotel, but instead finished up and then headed back to Salt Lake City.

I found out about Ken while on a gas stop in Maryland. It is never a good thing to hear something like that while on the Iron Butt rally, or any other time for that matter. I knew I had to keep it together, and did my best to keep it out of my head, as impossible as that was.

I wore the 1088 hat Ken had give me at the Iron Butt Rally checkpoints. As I finished the rally at 5:30 AM in Ontario, California, I put the hat back on. My dear friend and riding partner Peter Perrin saw it on me and said, "What are you doing wearing that hat, you aren't a 1088 rider?" I told him it was given to me by Ken at the Buffalo checkpoint. His jaw about dropped to the ground, and he said, then by all means keep wearing it. Voni Glaves overheard this, and instantly came over to give me a big and much needed hug.

I have now known five people personally who have died while riding since I took up this way of life in September 05, three of whom have rocks in the Nevada outback, counting Ken's to be. Ken is the first person who was an actual friend to be lost. As much as I hurt, my thoughts are with Ken's family and close riding partners, as I know their grief and loss is much greater than my own. It was nice to talk about some of this with Dennis Y. in Ontario at the finish of the IBR.

I will remember Ken, and commit to riding as safely as I can in his memory, and will see him on the other side someday....

It's taken me a little while to post here... Doug, seeing your post really breaks my heart. I didn't see Ken in NY and for that, I am very sad. I did, however, see him in Seattle. I keep thinking back to my apprehension at the start. How awful, truly awful. I can't remember exactly where I was when I heard, I think it was the night after the NY checkpoint at a hotel in WV. Ken was truly an inspirational person. He was so kind and generous - he really made an impression on me. When I heard, I couldn't - still can't for that matter - get the image of Ken in Gerlach wearing the bright orange LD Comfort helmet liner and goggles out of my mind. It was silly fun. That's how I remember Ken.

When he asked for the LD community to write his son, I did. I'm grateful that George reposted one of those messages so I can write again. This time with a very different message.

Such a tragic loss.

His family did mention an animal rescue that donations could be made to in memory of Ken. If folks need that info, let me know and I will find it and post it here. He loved animals and I remember exchanging facebook chats with Ken about what our furry friends were up to and how special they were to us.

With Great Sadness,

Nancy Oswald

I couldn't - still can't for that matter - get the image of Ken in Gerlach wearing the bright orange LD Comfort helmet liner and goggles out of my mind. It was silly fun. That's how I remember Ken.
Yup, me too.

I took a ride out to Gerlach on Saturday so that I'd be there in time for the rev-off. I knew that there was the possibility that a couple of other people might be there, since it was on their route from one place to another. When I got to Guru Lane, I found I was alone. It was a beautiful, warm afternoon with a little breeze from time to time. Not a cloud in the sky over the playa. The IBA Memorial is looking great - bench and picnic table still there after the winter, Eric encircled the memorial rocks with a very nice brick border. It's hard to think of a rock with Ken's name on it, frankly. He'll be in great company, sure, but it's just difficult to accept. It was an honor to be the person at that spot, at that time, with the purpose of honoring Ken - I felt a rather profound responsibility to be there, that someone be there.

I didn't know Ken nearly as well as some folks on the forum, but I found him a smart, funny and humble man and I am so sorry for his untimely passing and our collective loss.

IMG3437-XL.jpg

Pete Bansen

Truckee, California

I wore the 1088 hat Ken had give me at the Iron Butt Rally checkpoints. As I finished the rally at 5:30 AM in Ontario, California, I put the hat back on. My dear friend and riding partner Peter Perrin saw it on me and said, "What are you doing wearing that hat, you aren't a 1088 rider?" I told him it was given to me by Ken at the Buffalo checkpoint. His jaw about dropped to the ground, and he said, then by all means keep wearing it. Voni Glaves overheard this, and instantly came over to give me a big and much needed hug.
Having met you a few times, (a beer 4u in the pool at WFO Eureka :yahoo: ) I feel for you, my friend.

..and I need to attend the Gerlach Guru Lane memorial - will you show me the location? It might help both of us put some memories to bed.

TWN

:****:

Definitely a great loss even though I never had the opportunity to meet him. +1 to all the sentiment detailed by others.

I've changed my avatar in remembrance of the passing of one of my closest riding partners. :bye2:

What a shock! So sorry to hear the news and want to give my condolences to his family.

I didn't know Ken well, having just coincidentally meeting him at a cafe in Antelope, OR last year as I was doing a long weekend ride with my wife on the FJR. We chatted briefly and he told me about running the IBR on some "hopeless class" bike and we talked about all the Gen I / Gen II ribbing that goes on at this forum. He told me he was headed for Ontario and I remember thinking that Ontario CANADA is a long way from here, but not a big deal for an IBA veteran. He passed us on his Vstrom as we headed east on Hwy 26. Later that day, we passed through Ontario OREGON and guess who we see riding around town? That Ken guy is everywhere!

Godspeed Ken and I look forward to running a rally with you someday when I join you in the afterlife.

This was posted on another forum I frequent. Sharing here with those who knew him and those who wish they did.

Unexpected Consequences
That's some hella writing. What a worthwhile read.

Oh, and Iggy? Seriously? I thought those pictures of your bike had been 'shopped previously. In the video, I was shocked to find that your bike is really that FUGLY IRL. WTF were you thinking?

What a shame. Our thoughts go out to Kens family and friends. Ive crossed that section of I80 a lot, and have run into some of the worst wind and storms Ive ever encountered there.

I am not positive, but I think I bumped into Ken during the bonus run to Buffalo. Me and a buddy ( on black LT and silver GSA) were fueling up in IL off I80 (rally week)for a long day ride when two LD guys roll in off 80 about 630-7 am. One rider on a black 1150 GS was Rusty Bachman from WA I believe and the second rider was on a red Vstrom. We had a short chat, but we all kept helmets on so I didnt get the Vstrom riders name. They were both heading east to Cheektowaga and we were heading west. We chatted while fueling, exchanged "where froms" etc and wished them good luck on way to Cheektowaga. We left headed west, and they east.

again, my condolances to the families and friends.........I've heard people say "you'll die on a motorcycle" but for many, I think its where we do some of our best "living".