A love hate relationship with my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Since my first ride, I have always loved my FJR. But this relationship entails a darker side. A deeps seeded struggle between my love of this bike and the fact that I am just too damn short for this bike!

I'm only about 5'6 at 160 lbs. This is a big bike for someone my size. Not only is it heavy, but the ergos really are designed for someone with a bit of a longer reach.

Yesterday, as i was leaving a gas station, the bike studdered while making a uturn. It stalled and I just could not hold it up. Dropped again....

Very minimal damage. 5 minutes before I was talking to another forum member about how I'm too damn short for this bike. He had to help push me backwards to turn around out of the driveway because my toes just barely hit the ground, and I couldn't back it up with the slight incline.

I was joking earlier in the day with another forum member as we were stopped at a stop sign. His feet were flat, me, on my toes!

I have never dropped any of my other bikes! 3 times with the FJR... I am starting to see a sign, and I dont like the direction it is pointing!

I just don't think lowering it is an option. I already occassionally scrape pegs despite my aftermarket shock and upgrades front springs.

I am thinking about seat modification, but I tried a corbin close and absolutely hated it!

Anyone moded a seat to give you another inch without totally sacraficing comfort? Any other suggestions besides lowering or seat mod?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my first ride, I have always loved my FJR. But this relationship entails a darker side. A deeps seeded struggle between my love of this bike and the fact that I am just too damn short for this bike!
I'm only about 5'6 at 160 lbs. This is a big bike for someone my size. Not only is it heavy, but the ergos really are designed for someone with a bit of a longer reach.

Yesterday, as i was leaving a gas station, the bike studdered while making a uturn. It stalled and I just could not hold it up. Dropped again....

Very minimal damage. 5 minutes before I was talking to another forum member about how I'm too damn short for this bike. He had to help push me backwards to turn around out of the driveway because my toes just barely hit the ground, and I couldn't back it up with the slight incline.

I was joking earlier in the day with another forum member as we were stopped at a stop sign. His feet were flat, me, on my toes!

I have never dropped any of my other bikes! 3 times with the FJR... I am starting to see a sign, and I dont like the direction it is pointing!

I just don't think lowering it is an option. I already occassionally scrape pegs despite my aftermarket shock and upgrades front springs.

I am thinking about seat modification, but I tried a corbin close and absolutely hated it!

Anyone moded a seat to give you another inch without totally sacraficing comfort? Any other suggestions besides lowering or seat mod?
Why not get a smaller bike? I wish I were smaller so I would fit better on the sportier Sport-Touring bikes better. I'll bet you'd be really comfy on my VFR or a similar bike.

Why not get a smaller bike? I wish I were smaller so I would fit better on the sportier Sport-Touring bikes better. I'll bet you'd be really comfy on my VFR or a similar bike.

Like this? (not my bike)

BockTower008Large.jpg

BockTower005Large.jpg

I would hate getting rid of the FJR... Oh, it's like a knife in my heart! but lately I have been wondering. The fit on the VFR seemed much better for me, but I don't know if I can handle going from 1300 to 800 cc.

I don't know because I never rode one, but I can't imagine the VFR being as comfortable as the FJR?

Maybe you could buy a stock seat from someone and expirement with shaving it to see what works for you.

Otherwise, I vote for the boots. We promise not to make fun of you. ;)

Yeah, yeah... that's the ticket.

And, no. A VFR wouldn't be quite as comfortable as an FJR for anyone, but then again, an FJR isn't as comfy as a Gold Wang either. We all have to pick something that strikes the proper balance. Being a smaller guy you are less likely to miss the added HP and torque as compared to one of our bigger brethren, 'specially if you're not 2-upping it very much (or at all).

The flip side is that you would be amazed at how much lighter those bikes feel and how much more flickable they are. Do yourself a favor and try a few different bikes at some dealers. There are a couple of other ST bikes besides the VFR that fall into the smaller/lighter category. There is most likely one out there that would be a perfect fit for you. Have fun with it.

Maybe you could buy a stock seat from someone and expirement with shaving it to see what works for you.
Otherwise, I vote for the boots. We promise not to make fun of you. ;)
Shaving, what does my facial hair have to do with this! ;)

I've still got my stock seat, perhaps I should give that a whir.

I wear oxtar matrix boots. Is there another type I should be considering?

My stock '99 VFR was (and is) the most comfortable bike I ever rode. I could ride that thing all day - no worries. No risers, no custom seat, no peg lowerers... Someone remind me why I ever sold that thing. <_<

What's the downside?
Interceptor.jpg
If they made a 1000cc VFR, I would be all over it.

Chain instead of shaft drive sucks, but like Fred said, it's about compromise. I think valve checks are more frequent, due to the V-tec, and from what I've read they aren't cheap.

It still hurts just thinking about sellin the FJR... :cry:

First, check out a G2 with the seat in the lowest position. Second, get your stock seat cut so that it lets your legs go DOWN to the ground, not OUT to the ground. You'd be surprised how much trouble a wide seat will give a smaller rider.

I'm the same size as you described, and that is one reason why I bought the FJR. It fits me. The BMWs would require that I stop next to a curb so I could put my foot down. It handles so well in low speed turns I surprised you've "dropped it...more then once even" I've been riding motorcycles for about 35 years, all types of bikes, HDs Hondas, Kawasakies, ect...ect... and the FJR fits so well, it's like they built it for me. How much riding experience do you have on large street bikes? you didn't really say. FJRs aren't a good choice for new bike riders for several reasons. But you know what they say "All bikes are the same height, once you're riding them" :yahoo:

What's the downside?
Interceptor.jpg
If they made a 1000cc VFR, I would be all over it.

Chain instead of shaft drive sucks, but like Fred said, it's about compromise. I think valve checks are more frequent, due to the V-tec, and from what I've read they aren't cheap.

It still hurts just thinking about sellin the FJR... :cry:

My sympathies! Same reason I got ride of my FJR... shaved seat, shorter front and rear shocks, lowering links, the whole works. even head the sidestand rebent cause the bike was standing almost straight up by the time I finished. Dang thing was still too big for me. Riding it was very easy, loved it!

Getting gas and parking, especially backing into places is what killed me...

Just sold my Triumph Speedmaster, looking at a Triumph Sprint or maybe a Victory, or maybe I should just keep the Harley.... no idea... :unsure:

Mary

Keith, I'm 5'-8" & I rode a friend's VFR a couple of times. It was fun... but for sure, after my FJR, I felt VERY cramped up on the VFR. I cannot imagine riding it for an extended period. The power was definitely ok, though. It had a nice lil' scream to it when the Vtec kicked in.

But, the person that ownes it is about your height & loves it. So, guess you'd need to try one out for yourself. It isn't as powerful as the FJR, though.

My friend has made a comment about not being able to catch up with me quickly when I take off in front.

Oh, and about them boots... well, without knowing you, I can't say whether your "stylish" comments are far off the mark.