A love hate relationship with my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the spirit of Occam's Razor, I believe the simplest solution is usually best:

torture.rack.jpg

While a shaft drive is nice on a long distance touring bike, chain maintenance isn't the huge impediment that some folks make it out to be. Especially now-a-days with super-duper o-ring chains. Compared to having to change the rear tire every 5-6k miles, throwing on an new chain and sprockets at every 3rd-4th rear tire is really no big deal.

And once you learn to use this stuff it makes chain lubing a 15 second procedure (no cleaning required).

The Honda dealership I still visit actually has a brand new 2007 VFR sitting on the showroom floor. Since it hasn't sold yet, I think they have it listed for under 10k. I haven't ridden one, but I hear they are rockets. Not that you should change, but I know when I start to get that feeling, it's not long until I do something drastic. You can buy this one over the phone and I'll ride it out to you........

My stock '99 VFR was (and is) the most comfortable bike I ever rode. I could ride that thing all day - no worries. No risers, no custom seat, no peg lowerers... Someone remind me why I ever sold that thing. <_<
They are nice bikes, just Gutless.

My stock '99 VFR was (and is) the most comfortable bike I ever rode. I could ride that thing all day - no worries. No risers, no custom seat, no peg lowerers... Someone remind me why I ever sold that thing. <_<
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yeah, and now if I could just get the front wheel to stay on the ground.

Instead of modding the bike (which will need to be done on the next bike... and the next... and the next...), how about addressing changes in a more universal manner? Something that has helped other short people in a world too tall for them.

https://tinyurl.com/avrtf

If you happen to buy a motorcycle that doesn't fit you or your riding style, or is just not comfortable fo you to ride, get rid of it and buy something that works for you.

You obviously don't have much seat time on one. There is a lot more to the equation than just HP & Torque numbers quoted my the manufacturer. While they are not the most powerful bike around, My VFR would still leave my FJR behind on a good twisty road. It is really quite amazing how Fast Freddy Spencer, and many of his instructors, can pass liter bikes out on the track with a "Gutless" VFR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of modding the bike (which will need to be done on the next bike... and the next... and the next...), how about addressing changes in a more universal manner? Something that has helped other short people in a world too tall for them.
That reminds me of that episode of South Park when Kyle wants to be a basketball player, so they insert his testicles for knee joints and make him black! The same doctor also makes Randy a Dolphin.

:rofl:

I'm not doing anything drastic yet! I'm going to try shaving the seat before anything else. I love this bike too much to just off it!

If you happen to buy a motorcycle that doesn't fit you or your riding style, or is just not comfortable fo you to ride, get rid of it and buy something that works for you.
What a great idea John. I never thought of that. Should I get the Ninja 250 or the Kawasaki Eliminator? I can almost flat foot both of those. It would be an awful long way to NAFO on one of those though...... but wait, I wouldn't be going to an FJR gathering would I?

Your solution is brilliant in it's simplicity, but I don't believe there is a simple answer to the problem. There just aren't bikes out there (for the US market) for short legged folks, who want decent power, weather protection, fuel range, comfort AND and cool bike.

We all make compromises in one way or another, to make the available bikes fit our needs. Some do it with farkles, others make do, with features that aren't quite perfect.

For commuting, I ride a smaller bike than my FJR but by the weekend, I'm looking forward to my turn on the big bike. The little 650 is OK, but it's no FJR. (The seat height is actually higher, but the bike is much lighter) I wouldn't like to do a long distance tour on the smaller bike though, especially since I have the option to ride an FJR.

Jill

I'm 5'7" and have short legs also. Here's a pair of boots that I just bought that do help and they are really comfy. Link to boot thread. I have not dropped the FJR yet, but have dropped my GoldWing several times. I am getting very good at picking it up. It really is a matter of learning to put up with not being able to flat foot it. I have a buddy that is just slightly over 5' tall and he rides any bike like a pro. It reminds me of the old days when I rode a dirt bike, I had to slide way off the seat to one side to ever hope of touching the ground. If you are happy with the FJR in most other areas, I would say to try to learn to make it work for you. I have never been able to back my FJR up without getting off of it and "walking" it back (with the side stand down, just in case). I love my FJR and I'm not going to let my leg length or height stop me from enjoying it to the fullest. :clapping:

That reminds me of that episode of South Park when Kyle wants to be a basketball player, so they insert his testicles for knee joints and make him black! The same doctor also makes Randy a Dolphin.

:rofl:

I'm not doing anything drastic yet! I'm going to try shaving the seat before anything else. I love this bike too much to just off it!

Be careful shaving that seat... there's two layers, only the top have is dense foam, the bottom half is very soft.

Joann's Fabric sells nice foam.

Mary

In the spirit of Occam's Razor, I believe the simplest solution is usually best:
JB, he'll use Occam's Razor on the seat first. If that doesn't work, then I vote we try your solution. Originally thought Sherman's boot idea was best, but yours is longer lasting and may help him off the bike, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get back to some help, I have a 28.5" inseam and a AE. I think the AE is a little more challenging in slow speed manuevers since you can't just pull the clutch into friction zone. Practice does help a lot but I still fear the gravel uneven parking lots. To wit, I was able to lower the seat 3/4", bought 1.5" heel boots(gave me another 1/4") for a total of 1". Absolute concentration in slow speed areas is essential. I also favor 2nd or 3rd gear over the jump fast 1st gear and no you will not burn out the auto clutch. How many automatic transmissions start out in first gear on a level surface.

Of course you have the equivalent of a Porsche Turbo after 2 mph.

I'm 5'9, and have to just about tiptoe to maneuver as well. I've had my 07 for what will be a year in two weeks.

I bought the FJR because I needed a bike that was as bulletproof and reliable as a car, because I commute with it daily and also take long rides. it had to have fuel injection (no more carb adjustments and problems) and it had to have a shaft (tires and brakes wear fast enough, having another expense every 10K wasn't an option)

I've dropped the FJR three times, twice while on it. First time was going up my single lane apartment driveway while a neighbor was heading out. I backed down and out, but reached a point where there was a drain grate where the pavement arched to encourage water flow. The tires were still on the higher sides, but that put the ground another 7 inches lower...by the time I touched pavement, 600 pounds was already tilted too far to recover. Scratches and dings on the mirror for that one.

Second was trying to make a U turn in the back parking area behind my apartment. turned too sharp, braked too hard whilst turning too sharp (hadn't taken my MSF class yet) and bonked it on the *other* side.

the last was a really stupid mistake where I'd parked it next to my car. I'd opened the door to push the car out because the battery was bad and I needed room to replace it. I didn't notice the bike was too close-pushed it forward, the sidestand folded and down again. @%&*!!

But I'm not selling. The ergos of the handlebars and seat to peg are perfect. The windscreen and baggage are what I need. Power and handling are what I wanted. Plus I still owe a lot of money so selling would probably hose me quite a bit since I bought this thing new.

So i avoid tippy places, do a lot of foot down walking of the bike instead of Motorcycle Officer gymnastics. And I bet that narrowing part of the seat would be just the ticket after seeing some riders' solutions here. failing that, I'll just deal with it and get some touchup paint. :)

I sent my seat to Spencer (GreatDaytoRide.com). Supposedly that got me an inch. I am 5'10" with 30" inseam. I think my problem is not enough weight (130lbs wet with a pocket full of change). The seat is wide. I think it made a difference but I didn't note exactly what height I started at.

While waiting for my seat mods, I needed to look at the FJR and I also needed to sit on it. It is new (6 miles so far).

I noted that WITHOUT a seat at all (NO SEAT / SEATLESS) I still couldn't flat foot the bike in civilian shoes. I put on my boots and I was just about there. My suggestion is to take off the seat and sit on the bike. If you are not happy without a seat at all, then you can carve it all day and still not be happy.

Art