A love hate relationship with my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5'6" ? Yea, I know it well. Took the rubber stops from under the seat out. Still had to learn to stand on my toes when stopped while riding 2-up. In tight spaces I always have to get off and walk it. For me, I just got used to it.

Wouldn't sell mine for the world. The good outweighs the bad by a mile.

Keith, you look like you sit that white VFR pretty well, so I when out to the garage and took a look. the VFR seat is much narrower near the tank, while both bikes appear to be very near the same seat height. I would try shaving the foam on the sides near the nose of the seat.

Since my first ride, I have always loved my FJR. But this relationship entails a darker side. A deeps seeded struggle between my love of this bike and the fact that I am just too damn short for this bike!
I'm only about 5'6 at 160 lbs. This is a big bike for someone my size. Not only is it heavy, but the ergos really are designed for someone with a bit of a longer reach.

Yesterday, as i was leaving a gas station, the bike studdered while making a uturn. It stalled and I just could not hold it up. Dropped again....

Very minimal damage. 5 minutes before I was talking to another forum member about how I'm too damn short for this bike. He had to help push me backwards to turn around out of the driveway because my toes just barely hit the ground, and I couldn't back it up with the slight incline.

I was joking earlier in the day with another forum member as we were stopped at a stop sign. His feet were flat, me, on my toes!

I have never dropped any of my other bikes! 3 times with the FJR... I am starting to see a sign, and I dont like the direction it is pointing!

I just don't think lowering it is an option. I already occassionally scrape pegs despite my aftermarket shock and upgrades front springs.

I am thinking about seat modification, but I tried a corbin close and absolutely hated it!

Anyone moded a seat to give you another inch without totally sacraficing comfort? Any other suggestions besides lowering or seat mod?
Keith,

I have the same problem as you (I am a short little stunted pit pony).

Even now with the upgraded suspension on the Feejer, I am barely able to "tip toe" on both feet. Now, if you stop at a light etc, try leaving the bike in gear with your left foot "planted" on the ground with right foot on the rear brake, with the bike slightly leaned to your left foot.

If I need to "back in" the bike at parking lots etc, I just get off (side stand down) and do the handling (don't trust slipping on gravel with tip toe). I could care less about what other people think, I merely remind them that even though the bike is on the heavy side, when still, under way it is just like any other bike!

Lastly, if you want a really good laugh then imagine (believe me) how tall my CBR 1000 RR is for me, barely reach the ground, just able to "tipo toe", Sometimes I wish I was born a basket ball player and not a rugby player - :) )

Ho hum, neeed to get on the "rack" for some strecthing of the bones.

Ride safe.

I can relate to your problem. I am 5'6" and have dropped my '06 FJR twice. Once it gets over to a certain point, it's all over with!! First drop was sickening! Second time I was okay with it...landed on the same side and hit the same places so now new scratches!! I felt it going over and knew I couldn't stop it so just let 'er go! I don't usually have a problem but there are times when I wish I had longer legs. Most bikes I've had have all been too tall so I've learned where to park and where not to! If I can't ride it out then I can't park there! Unless I have my husband along and he moves it around for me!!!

I bought my wife an 06 VFR in white just like the one you sat on. She is 5'4". We ride about 350-400 miles every weekend. She picked it up Sept of 06 and now has 24,000 miles on it. It was a bit tall for her. You can lower the rear by 3/4" by just rotating the bracket where the swingarm bolts up. Add some Heli Bars and a Laminar Lip to the stcok screen and you have a decent distance cruiser. I rode it to work last week for the first time and was quite surprised at the performance of the VFR. Not a rocketship but definitely not a slouch. I am 5'11" and would have problems after a full day of riding on it as compared to my FJR but she swears by it. Her previous bikes were a Ducati 900 monster with big bore kit a carbon bodywork and before that a Magna 750. She likes the VFR the best.

Maybe you could buy a stock seat from someone and expirement with shaving it to see what works for you.
Otherwise, I vote for the boots. We promise not to make fun of you. ;)

This is what I was going to suggest. Some people have motorcycles lowered but then you are messing with CG changes and all that but once you get used to it. Other issue would be if you ever think you will get rid of the bike, then there may be some issues selling.

Get a seat from a motorcycle junkyard and experiment with it as suggested.

I'm 5'7" and just purchased an 2008 FJR1300A. I'm coming off a 2003 FZ1. The FJR is almost 150 lbs. heavier than the FZ1 and just as tall. I'm being sooo careful not to tip this girl over and living on a "hill", I've got to be extra cautious.

I did the "Skinman's Seat Mod" on both my FZ1 and FJR; I kind of "dished" out my seat; now I'm about 1/2" from being flat footed. I may go just a little more deeper... you can barely see the dish in this pic...

IMG_4856a.jpg

Here's the Skinman's Seat Mod Link:

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/skimansseatmod.shtml

Hope this helps...

X

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that if you do a seat mod to flat foot on the ground you will take away the long distance capability of the seat.

'Course if that's not a problem to you 'cuz you got an ironbutt, then go all the way and just sit on the bare seat pan. That'll look cool! :clapping:

...and intimidating too. :)

Since my first ride, I have always loved my FJR. But this relationship entails a darker side. A deeps seeded struggle between my love of this bike and the fact that I am just too damn short for this bike!
Keith - you describe my same dilemma. I'm 5'2" with an inseam of about 26". The FJR is far too tall and heavy for me to ride, but I've put 20K miles on mine so far. Once the bike is above 5mph, it's the perfect size but anything below that......

I had two inch thick soles added to my boots, to build enough confidence to ride the bike in the first place. That allowed me to get the ball of my foot down on both sides. Then I went to regular boots, and a pointy toe on either one side or the other. Dog bones lowered the bike by 3/4" which now gives me either a tip toe on both sides, or a solid foot on one side. The drawbacks to this are balancing on uneven surfaces, parking lots, backing the bike and those ugly, wobble stops that we all make now and again. My side stand only works on absolutely flat, or favorably sloped surfaces. Riding on gravel is just not done, if I can help it.

The Bill Mayer saddle was supposed to help with the reach, but Rocky (seat maker) gave me a choice of a lower seat or an all day seat. I chose the comfy seat.

I thought that building my slow speed skills/confidence would help, and it did. That was done on a Ninja 650, which is a fun bike to ride. I love tossing that little, light bike around the twisties. The seat is actually higher than the FJR, but the bike is easier to handle. But the Ninja is no FJR, especially on cold mornings when I miss the fairing. Riding in the dirt has helped my confidence for riding the FJR too, strange as that may sound.

In conclusion, the FJR is and always will be, too big for me but I can't see giving up this bike. So far, there is nothing out there that would do for me what my FJR does.

Jill

If you are concerned about future incidents, you have three choices:

1. adjust bike to fit

2. change to another bike

3. quit worrying and drop the damn thing if you must

If you're thinking of switching bikes, and you like the Triumph Sprint, I suggest you ride one. Triumph has always been my favorite brand, but the triples are all built with the taller rider in mind. Sure, it looks smaller than an FJR, but a Sprint's seat is higher: 31.7 vs an FJR's 31.5.

Good luck.

I'm 5'7" and just purchased an 2008 FJR1300A. I'm coming off a 2003 FZ1. The FJR is almost 150 lbs. heavier than the FZ1 and just as tall. I'm being sooo careful not to tip this girl over and living on a "hill", I've got to be extra cautious.
I did the "Skinman's Seat Mod" on both my FZ1 and FJR; I kind of "dished" out my seat; now I'm about 1/2" from being flat footed. I may go just a little more deeper... you can barely see the dish in this pic...

Here's the Skinman's Seat Mod Link:

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/skimansseatmod.shtml

Hope this helps...

X
Thanks for the link! I'm going to try that with my stocker, and if it doesn't work out.... oh well...

I have a 2003 FZ1 with adjustable dog bones, so the rear is raised. I'm fairly certain that my FZ1 is higher than the FJR, but the center of balance and less weight make it a piece of cake to maneuver.

It seems that if you do a seat mod to flat foot on the ground you will take away the long distance capability of the seat.
'Course if that's not a problem to you 'cuz you got an ironbutt, then go all the way and just sit on the bare seat pan. That'll look cool! :clapping:

...and intimidating too. :)

the really thick foam is the top inch... at least it was on my 05

the under foam was very soft.

I shaved the seat... and ended up sitting on about 1/2 inch of very soft foam... after 500 miles my butt really hurt! :angry:

I had a Corbin close to install, but with the Givi rack it was a struggle to get the Corbin on... so... about 5000 miles later (one long trip) I learned my lesson!

The advice about not changing stuff right before you go on a trip..priceless!

Sometimes I'm not too bright!

Mary

I'm also leg length challenged and have found that narrowing and lowering

the seat works wonders. For us lighter guys (and gals), I dont' think removing

this much of the foam has much affect at all. Remember, these seats are

meant to be comfortable for people weighing 100 and even 150 lbs more

then we do.

My intention was to keep the seat angle the same, my preference is for

more of a sport bike lean. Used an electric carving knife, carefully doing

a little bit at a time. As mentioned, the "narrowing" is really the key, that's

what will get your legs closer together as opposed to splayed out, and closer

to the ground. I only removed about a 1/2 inch from the top. This is a VFR

seat by the way.

seat.jpg

This image shows the seat after (carefully) using 100 grit sandpaper...

seat2.jpg

Once done (the entire cover doesn't need removing, just where you want to cut),

you can take it to an upholstery shop and they can staple it or you can get

a Heavy Duty stapler and do it yer self.

I've done this to 2 vfr's and 1 st1300. Put 16k on the st1300 and about 10k on

the VFR... never dropped either of them ;)

Sometimes in life ya have to call a spade a spade, and the truth is, every vehicle isn't designed for everyone. (Hell, at 240 & 6'1" I don't fit in a Mazda MX-5 Miata.)

Riding under normal conditions has enough safety issues involved. You shouldn't have to be worrying about the bike being too large or heavy, or if you can catch it as it goes over. And if you're thinking about those Frankenstein Boots... keep thinking. :D

I'd recommend a Triumph Tiger or Daytona, or something similar. You'll be a much happier (and safer) rider.