ABM rotors have excessive movement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I have the Galfer rotors on my bike and when I called Galfer, they said 2-3mm play is normal.

Both of my rotors are like your loose one and have been that way for a while.

I'm not worried about it.

For what it's worth, I have the Galfer rotors on my bike and when I called Galfer, they said 2-3mm play is normal.Both of my rotors are like your loose one and have been that way for a while.

I'm not worried about it.
If both of mine had been like that from the very beginning I might be able to ignore it...but since one of them is clearly behaving differently (to say the least) it is of considerable concern to me.

Hey Warchild, what's the scoop on what Skyway said about the semi-floating? Was our GB indeed for semi-floaters or was that incorrect? Is it possible that I DO have full floaters? What are yours on your FJR and R1? Semi or Full?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spoke to Dave at Speigler...

"Box 'em up and send them to us...QC will look at them and we'll go from there".

That's not as helpful as I was hoping for.

That still leaves me w/ no rotors.

Hey Warchild, what's the scoop on what Skyway said about the semi-floating? Was our GB indeed for semi-floaters or was that incorrect? Is it possible that I DO have full floaters? What are yours on your FJR and R1? Semi or Full?
I don't have the ABMs on my FJR... I have them for my Blackbird and my R1. The Blackbird is semi-floating; my R1 has full-floating.

The Group Buy was for semi-floating. That is what you have. You do NOT have full-floating ABMs on your FJR.

Your right one has about the correct movement for semi-floating, and it basically mirrors the semi-floating ABMs I have on my Blackbird (with ~ 25,000 miles of use).

The left one in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM is correct, even if it was full-floating! It is OUT OF SPEC!

Since you're not going anywhere on that bike for now, you might as well box 'em up and ship them out. Really sucks that you sold off your old ones. SOMEBODY oughta have a spare set they can lend you until this situation gets fixed. There were like 30-40 sets of ABMs sold during the GB, so some must still have theirs...

Holy jiggly rotors, Batman!

Just read this thread and saw that vid. Yikes! That right rotor is downright scary!

Good luck.

Just dropped the bike off at Desert Cycle works so that Dawn can pull 'em off while I "work" today. I'll grab 'em from him after work, box 'em up and send them off to Spiegler ASAP. In the mean time I'm still going to find a way to get the Feejer to GZ's on Saturday for that CC install. We'll see what Spiegler says and take it from there.

Gun, I have a spare set of rotors for a 2005 that I could send you. I would want them back when you are done but no hurry. I am in St. Louis could ship out on tuesday. UPS.

Let me know.

I would not want any payment just your word they would be returned.

MIke

Gun, I have a spare set of rotors for a 2005 that I could send you. I would want them back when you are done but no hurry. I am in St. Louis could ship out on tuesday. UPS. Let me know.

I would not want any payment just your word they would be returned.

MIke
Thanks Mike...I may take you up on it but let me see what Spiegler says when they get mine...if it's gonna take a while I'll get back to you and work something out. I'm hesitant to have you ship them this week as my schedule is pretty tight between now and the weekend...I wouldn't have a chance to put them on anyway as I'll be out of town.

Again, thanks a ton for the offer...I may utilize your rotors depending on how things look once Spiegler receives my ABMs.

YEEEK!

Finally got around to watching your video... that left one was so scary it made me run out to the garage to check mine! Both of mine are similar to your right (tight) one.... just a touch of motion when grabbed and moved...

Would love to know what Spiegler says in terms of what might be the cause...

NOTE: This post has been edited by the author.

OK everyone...after my initial conversation with a sales rep at Spiegler I was a little disappointed at the reaction that I got. But a few hours later Matthias emailed me back and he's obviously not thrilled with the condition of my left rotor. His email to me is quoted below. Now I'll wait to hear from him in order to see what the next step is. I've dealt with Matthias before and it has been my experience that he takes customer service very seriously...I'm sure that this will be no exception.

Shit happens. The difference is how that shit is dealt with. It looks like I'm on track to getting my problem solved.

More to follow.

UPDATE:

I heard from Spiegler today...here's what they had to say:

In a nutshell, they offered to replace the aluminum carriers for me at about $45 per rotor...they will not charge me labor.

So, I asked a couple of questions:

Matthias,A couple of questions before I commit to the rebuild. What is the expected life span of those aluminum carriers? 25K miles sure seems like a short life. Is this normal? Did the "good" rotor look like the movement between the floater and the carrier was within specs?
And got an immediate reply from Matthias:

In a nutshell, he said that 25K is a good life expectancy for this type of rotor.

I replied and told him to go ahead and replace the carriers on both rotors.

Wow, that's kinda sucky that the ABM rotor's have such a low expected life span. :( I would have assumed that they would last significantly longer, and would have been covered by some sort of warantee.

Hmmmm, worn to the extent of potential disaster on a major component? Gunny, I'd look to another source for discs. Imagine if that thing let go? Personally, I'd really question the fact that one's good and the other ain't. Sumpin's fishy and I wouldn't take the risk. I also think that the answers you got are suspect in regard to the rotor's appropriateness for the FJR.

Hmmmm, worn to the extent of potential disaster on a major component? Gunny, I'd look to another source for discs. Imagine if that thing let go? Personally, I'd really question the fact that one's good and the other ain't. Sumpin's fishy and I wouldn't take the risk. I also think that the answers you got are suspect in regard to the rotor's appropriateness for the FJR.
For the record I'll be sticking with the EBC rotors that I recently purchased (I had to have something for the last few weeks). I'll be selling the ABMs when they return to me. Not thrilled, BTW.

On top of this little let down from the German performance part add-on industry, my Wilbers shock started pissing fluid this weekend, too. Screw German parts. No more.

Don't think I like this development...

"25K for a semi floating performance rotor is a good life time"?!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Hmmmmm.... I dunno about this. Or at least, this certainly hasn't been my experience. I have well over that mileage on my ABM rotors (and this under some rather hard-core Endurance Riding performance such as White Pine Fever, multiple Utah 1088s, etc), and my ABM rotors appear to have the same properties as the day I bolted them on the wheel... :huh:

Yours is the first (and only) negative I have heard regarding the ABM rotors, and there were a whole lot of them sold during the Group Buy between the FJR and Blackbird communities. They are supposed to be damn tough rotors, something that is expected with garnering German TÜV Certification. While your particular situation obviously sucks outloud, in the absence of further reports of problems with the ABMs, I can't help but think you're the victim of an unfortunate one-off manufacturing defect.

That having been said.... the Brake System Group Buy I am about to do for the CBR1100XX community will not have any German products. Like you, Gun, I am a little miffed over the continuing stories of the Wilbers shocks (having been a victim of them myself).

That having been said.... the Brake System Group Buy I am about to do for the CBR1100XX community will not have any German products. Like you, Gun, I am a little miffed over the continuing stories of the Wilbers shocks (having been a victim of them myself).
OHHHH Shit!!! "Brake System" Group Buy?!?

Oh Lord, help me!!! I knew I'd be weak on the SS lines if you put that one together. But God Help Me if there's even more to this GB than that.

WC, you don't know how lucky you are that I'm not married anymore! I'm sure I'd have gotten so much grief for jumping on the goodies you keep offering up that I'd have been weak and have given her your name and contact info when threatened. BTW, she was a strong, athletic 5'7" German girl with a law degree and a temper. :unsure: :assassin:

DAMN IT ALL TO FRESNO!!!!!

I swear to whatever, I'm SO pissed at companies pulling this shit.

GunMD's rotor was FUCKED, and they should be kissing his ass to make it right. Instead he gets a mouth full of CEO "rod" and he gets to take a sodium count of the proceeds.

**** THAT!!!

EVERYBODY write to Spiegler and tell them EXACTLY what kind of petty ****-Tards they are for denying our homeboy his dutiful rights. Getting a dangerous "FULL-FLOATER" when you ordered a NORMAL rotor is fucked up beyond belief. That "Floater-Rotor" was a DANGEROUS POS and any DECENT company would have spared no expense and sent Paris Hilton out in a limo with K-Y to make the gig right, AND replace the FUCKED up rotor.

Write Matthias, and PROMISE to never lay another greenback on his doorstep for ANYTHING. He fucked a brother over for NOTHING, and he deserves less.

Were not talking about reflective logo stickers that MIGHT not be that reflective, or BLING-BLING this and that for shits and giggles.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE GODDAMNED FRONT BRAKE WHICH OUR LIVES DEPEND ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** SPIEGLER.

GZ

WC

Let me guess, because of the actions of some idiot, your not going to make an offer to us for a brake system GB.

Say it aint so?

What if we all say please?

GunMD - It sounds like that 1 rotor of yours was wrong from day 1. I'm not defending Speigler, but I wonder if the response would have been different if you mentioned this right after you got them installed? (maybe you did?) I have only contacted Matthias(sp?) one time to tell him that the rear rotors were out of spec (counterbores were to deep and the rotor screws bottomed out leaving the rear rotor loose on the wheel) and he was very responsive to this problem.

I'm also surprised at his response, since he knows that this would end up back here for the masses to read about. Hard to prove either way how easy or hard riders are on their brakes, and based on this leaves a door open for the manufacturer to back away from replacement. I'm guessing this is because brakes are usually considered wear and tear items. For reference, I'm at around 27K on mine with no issues so far.

A friend with a Ducati 748 had a similar run in with Galfer with a set of wave rotors, where they claimed he had been doing countless stoppies and stunting upon inspection of his front rotors, which was complete bullshit BTW. He also went with KBC.