"Abrupt off/on Throttle Reaction" Rider magazine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like there are two completely separate problems that amplify each other.
See message #33 and #37 in this thread.
+1

I also believe the PCIII can only give a partial solution, albeit the best redily available, without addressing the spark timing. I've seen similar situations on carburated bikes solved by using timing advancers.

I ordered one and am also installing a PC111 on my AE. My question is - will the heated grips work with the new tube. I am pretty sure the throttlemeister should be a direct fit but not sure.

Now if i can just get that spring off one turn and maybe grip puppies.
Hey trip, why not hire a chauffeur to drive you :D We have two problems: uneven fuel delivery and a throttle that is hard to turn. We apply a new cam, and throttle map (why not the Barbarian mod as well??) for the first problem and the cam, spring thing, and grip puppies for number two. Ever consider that some of these things may work against each other???? Me thinks we have too much time and money on our hands in the off season.
Hi ST you a triumph guy? Well if you are then you will appreciate the difference between a good map and one installed in our 06s. :p

Re chauffeur, must have attribute similar to Miss USA, seems like a good party animal to me.

As pointed out in another post there is a problem that the PC111 cannot solve completely. I am advised that it can only change the amount of fuel if fuel is actually being allowed to flow by the ecu. Apparently in this instance the ecu closes off any fuel flow on trailing throttle to reduce emissions.

Therefore the lightening of the throttle and changing of the cam allows one to modulate the throttle far more easily, therby allowing the bike to be managed more smoothly.

This will in itself reduce the amount of transmission lash that affects the AE far more than the A where the ability still exists to modulate the application of the clutch to reduce this problem.

All in all all the mods seem to help and as yet have not found a conflict. Different techniques to schieve the same result but all attempting to cure the problem

Well, next week this time I will actually have my 06 in the garage and play with this situation first hand. Yep, I still have my Triumph and plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. Except for the strong throttle spring I found that the stock Sprint suffered from the same ragged throttle input as well. There were actually three fixes which would work with it. The simple solution was to switch from a 19T countershaft sprocket to an 18T (little tough to do on an FJR). The next thing was to replace the stock can with the Triumph "off road" can which came with a new map for the ECU. The third was just to replace the map but just about everyone who did that did the first two items as well. Like has been said many times before emissions dictate too lean a mix at low R's where there isn't much room for error. Don't remember who it was, Aprilla maybe, but they shipped one or more of their bikes with specs to pass emissions and provided all the data to make it run right to the dealers so they would fix it later.

Well, next week this time I will actually have my 06 in the garage and play with this situation first hand. Yep, I still have my Triumph and plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. Except for the strong throttle spring I found that the stock Sprint suffered from the same ragged throttle input as well. There were actually three fixes which would work with it. The simple solution was to switch from a 19T countershaft sprocket to an 18T (little tough to do on an FJR). The next thing was to replace the stock can with the Triumph "off road" can which came with a new map for the ECU. The third was just to replace the map but just about everyone who did that did the first two items as well. Like has been said many times before emissions dictate too lean a mix at low R's where there isn't much room for error. Don't remember who it was, Aprilla maybe, but they shipped one or more of their bikes with specs to pass emissions and provided all the data to make it run right to the dealers so they would fix it later.
That's pretty much what we are up against. I have had 5 different triumphs over the last few years and the 05 Speed Triple was transformed with the off road cans and the correct triumph map that was loaded by the dealer at the same time the cans were mounted. Night and day as they say. no more backfiring on the over run and smoother all around. I have an 07 Tiger on order and the first thing to be installed will be the off road cans and a realistic map.

The 06 FJR AE suffers from the same problems caused by trying to conform to the EPA rules.

I will post results of all mods after they are done. Each one will be done and tested before the next mod is done.

BTW you can live with the problems if you are a tolerant and tranquil person. Unfortunately I just don't fit that mould!

I have an 07 Tiger on order and the first thing to be installed will be the off road cans and a realistic map.
BTW you can live with the problems if you are a tolerant and tranquil person. Unfortunately I just don't fit that mould!
I saw an 07 Tiger a couple days ago for the first time up close and personal. You are a lucky guy, that is IMO the absolute best thing that Triumph has ever produced. I'm keeping my Sprint so that when I need a real twisty fix I'll be able to satisfy it, but "WHEN" I win the lottery, the 07 Tiger will be my first addition to the stable.

I rode my FJR yesterday for the second time since installing the the G2 throtttle and my enthusiasm for the device is reinforced. The bike is MUCH easier and more enjoyable to ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wintertime is lurking time.....

:dribble:

reading all this stuff, do I get wiser, no.....just a bit !! <_<

So far my conclusion is: PCIII pluss the G2 pluss adjusting the fuelflow abit rich.....

The throttle is not any problem for me, but BANGING the driveshaft once in awhile is a real burden on the drivetranny.. :clapping:

So therefore; these abovemention adjustment have to be made this spring.

Appy New Year to all individuals driving this horse called FJR. :dwarf:

Tor

Well after clocking almost 850mi on the newest family member I have concluded a PCIII (already coming) will be my first mod for a couple of reasons. If anyone knows should we do a "digital" ground for this as this is the best install for the Warriors...

For one I hope the transition will be smoother from off idle and be more consistant with given throttle delivery. The other is the soft spot I sometimes feel in the mid range. Its kinda weird since it doesn't feel the same every single time...I would think it should pull strong through the RPM range but hit a little harder at its peak but it seems to be the lean issue raising its ugly head at times. Haven't decided on the G2 just yet but may do the "one turn" spring release to ease up on the throttle "stiffness" to help with the BrakeAway CC I just installed...

Happy New Year to all my fellow FJR's...

If anyone knows should we do a "digital" ground for this as this is the best install for the Warriors...?
Can you elaborate on this, please? What do Warrior owners do to comprise this "digital" ground?

If we are referring to the PC-III, I can definitely tell you that for those folks who claim they have a problem making the PC-III behave as advertised on their FJR, the vast , VAST majority of the time, they elected not to connect the PC-III's ground wire directly to the battery's negative (-) post as instructed by DynoJet. Typically, they try grounding the PC-III to the frame, which apparently can introduce sympathetic/spurious signal issues to the module.

Invariably, once they connect the ground wire to the battery as instructed, the module magically starts to behave as advertised.

Photos from the '03-'05 model bike install ('06 model is slightly different): FJRTech: Installing the PC-III

If anyone knows should we do a "digital" ground for this as this is the best install for the Warriors...?
Can you elaborate on this, please? What do Warrior owners do to comprise this "digital" ground?

If we are referring to the PC-III, I can definitely tell you that for those folks who claim they have a problem making the PC-III behave as advertised on their FJR, the vast , VAST majority of the time, they elected not to connect the PC-III's ground wire directly to the battery's negative (-) post as instructed by DynoJet. Typically, they try grounding the PC-III to the frame, which apparently can introduce sympathetic/spurious signal issues to the module.

Invariably, once they connect the ground wire to the battery as instructed, the module magically starts to behave as advertised.

Photos from the '03-'05 model bike install ('06 model is slightly different): FJRTech: Installing the PC-III
Here's some info from my other forum and a fellow Warrior (RedHorse) who has some great info/pics on mods he's done with his Warrior and the "perfect" PCIII install I'm talking about. Something maybe the FJR's can use...I'm not sure. Let us know what you think

https://rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8630

https://users.adelphia.net/~redhorse/power_...der_install.htm

Here's some info from my other forum and a fellow Warrior (RedHorse) who has some great info/pics on mods he's done with his Warrior and the "perfect" PCIII install I'm talking about. Something maybe the FJR's can use...I'm not sure. Let us know what you think
OK, after wading through all 12 pages, I'm pretty confident this approach has no equivalent implementation (or need) on the FJR side of the house.

A properly connected PC-IIIusb on the FJR doesn't suffer from "cutting out", it has no real "dead spots", nor does it really have a "wacky" throttle response off idle ("abrupt", perhaps, especially '06 models, but not "wacky"). The biggest telling factor, however, is that we really don't have any problems obtaining a good custom map. Indeed, '03-'05 models are blessed with perhaps the finest map you can upload to a stock FJR: the Wally Kilburg "Smoothness" Map.

That having been said, kudos to the gents that came up with this mod for the Warrior, cuz it sounds like it is indeed making a difference for that platform.

I supposed we're blessed, because the PC-IIIusb for the FJR truly works as advertised: it is completely plug-n-play; all connectors are exact factory equivalents. No splicing, dicing or soldering for FJR owners.... which is a fortunate thing for most of them... :lol:

The Barbarian Mod costs $0, and also helps reduce the abrupt throttle when the CO settings are set +7.Cable slop is another big contributor to the "feel".

Grip Puppies increase the diameter of the grip and aid in throttle precision. They cost $9.

Combine the three above with the new throttle tube mentioned earlier, looks like you have a tamed-down throttle for about $75 and one afternoon's work.
I did these mods ($10) and they eliminated the abrupt throttle issue for me.

DJ, took my first ride on the 06. People at Lancaster were great. I'll be going for my first "real" ride tomorrow. My first impression is that the throttle response is pretty typical of FI bikes in general. Right now I'm in the "too early to tell" mode. As part of that I think I'm going give myself time to adjust. For example, I stalled the bike when I tried the same clutch/throttle combo as my Sprint and immediately thought damn hydraulic clutch. After two or three starts I had adjusted and "the problem" was a non-issue. I also found that the throttle spring tension was above average but I liked the feel. Tomorrow I'm going to run it through some tight twisties at no more than moderate speeds just to see if I have "the problem" or not.

The Barbarian Mod costs $0, and also helps reduce the abrupt throttle when the CO settings are set +7.Cable slop is another big contributor to the "feel".

Grip Puppies increase the diameter of the grip and aid in throttle precision. They cost $9.

Combine the three above with the new throttle tube mentioned earlier, looks like you have a tamed-down throttle for about $75 and one afternoon's work.
I did these mods ($10) and they eliminated the abrupt throttle issue for me.

I did those mod's first too. They didn't eliminate the throttle issue for me.. The PCIII did! The "tube/cam" mod wasn't available when I faced the problem. If it had been, I would have tried it before the PCIII. However, since it is smooth as silk now I probably won't now. Now I have an excuse to buy a lap-top computer and have a custom map made. :)

YMMV

LC

DJ, took my first ride on the 06. People at Lancaster were great. I'll be going for my first "real" ride tomorrow. My first impression is that the throttle response is pretty typical of FI bikes in general. Right now I'm in the "too early to tell" mode. As part of that I think I'm going give myself time to adjust. For example, I stalled the bike when I tried the same clutch/throttle combo as my Sprint and immediately thought damn hydraulic clutch. After two or three starts I had adjusted and "the problem" was a non-issue. I also found that the throttle spring tension was above average but I liked the feel. Tomorrow I'm going to run it through some tight twisties at no more than moderate speeds just to see if I have "the problem" or not.
GREAT NEWS!! Glad to see your finally on it. It will feel better and better the more seat time you have. I agree Lancaster is a great dealership...real good people. You hit the nail on the head..."We" have to adjust to the differences each bike has. Adjusting to the bike is little easier than expecting the bike to adjust to us. Every bike has its own little quirks but to me thats what makes each bike different and adds character...Good Luck!!

BTW after the brakes break-in/transfer material/bedding you will be amazed...also the handling/turn in to me is incredible for this heavy of a bike. I'm truly enjoying it...

You will find that the FJR is a great bike right out of the box and is very easy to adjust to. It is also a very easy bike to make even better and this is what some of us are doing. It is great to be able to read about changes that others are making and how they work before you decide if you want to put out your hard earned cash for that change. Congratulations on the new bike. You will enjoy it.