ABS Brakes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gord

Reaction score
The ABS on my 2004 FJR has failed. I found out in West Virgina, in the middle of a blind right hand corner with a Crown Vic stoped in the middle of the corner waiting to turn left. Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this, or any information.

Thanks

:eek: I hope the afore mentioned 59k mile motorcycle is still intact.

Did you get/do you have a yellow ABS warning light? Did you simply fail to get ABS action? Did you unexpectedly have a wheel lock-up? What was the attitude of your FJR when the ABS failed (leaned over in a corner, upright, etc.) What was the road surface like -- rain, tar snakes, sand, dry concrete, dry asphalt? Did the ABS problem involve both the front and rear wheels? Are the front and rear ABS sensors in the correct location and mounted with the OEM hardware? Is the front wheel ABS housing slot and the tab located correctly? Is the rear housing located properly?

If you have a FSM we can help you get started by making a Test Jumper Cable. If you don't have a FSM, IMO it is time to take it to a dealer. Doing a comprehensive test of the front and rear ABS is a long and involved process which can be difficult even with the FSM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the wheels lock up or the bike just didn't stop fast enough?

ABS warning light still on?

What were the road conditions?

Did not go down, Bike is still intact.

1) I do not have a yellow ABS Warning light.

2) I failed to get ABS action on the rear wheel, the rear wheel stepped out. There were no issues with the front wheel, but not enough brake was grabbed to initiate the ABS on the front.

3) The bike was leaned over in a right hand corner. The road surface was good dry asphalt, no tar strips, no sand

4) Both the ABS sensors are mounted with OEM hardware and located correctly.

5) I have a FSM, wiring diagram for the Test Jumper Cable would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help

The system looks at speed differential from front to rear. Some conditions can trick the system, especially if they fall within the built in "reasonability" parameters, in other words, the speed differential wasn't great enough. Take the bike out, find some dirt, and in a straight line, jam the rear and see if the ABS engages. Also, on the centerstand, put the bike in second gear and rev slightly-see if the light flashes. If so, it's reading the sensors correctly.

I have verified the ABS does not work by locking up the back wheel in a straight line, can't say I have verified the front wheel.

I have verified the ABS does not work by locking up the back wheel in a straight line, can't say I have verified the front wheel.
I have to say, in my experience, 99 times out of a hundred, ABS problems have been traced to connector corrosion at, or a failed, wheel speed sensor. Foreign material (metal scraps, shavings, dirt) attached to the sensor can also raise hell. Does the light glow at startup?