Additional brake light installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoofus

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't written one of these before, but here goes...

I was hunting for an additional brake light for my 2008 FJR. There were several products to consider, but when I found out that Admore Lighting sold a wiring harness to add to my FJR I didn't look any further. The link to the wiring harness isn't particularly easy to find - it's here.

The light and harness kit arrived nicely packed. This is what you'll find inside:

Parts.jpg

Note the Starbucks' coffee cup - since the container is opaque you can fill it with any beverage of your choice (don't tell anyone, okay?).

The bracket was different from the one shown on the company's web site. This bracket has two mounting slots which will give you options on placing the light. I believe the bracket is designed to fit behind your license plate. That will allow an installation without any additional holes. On an FJR that installation would shade the license plate light. You may be willing to risk the grief associated, I decided not to.

I decided to add a plastic loom over the factory wiring. I'm not sure it's necessary, but it will protect the wiring from abrasion. I also purchased grommets to fit the loom through the plastic fender.

Additionalparts.jpg

In this photo you can see the brake light interferes with the license plate light. Fortunately the license plate light is made of soft plastic. It's easy to remove the material necessary with a file, sharp knife, or Dremel tool.

Licenseplatelight.jpg

Once I had the bracket in place, I had to route the wiring. I'm sure there are other, perhaps better, ways of doing it but this is what I came up with. In order to avoid any tight turns with related kinked wires, I routed the wire through the fender behind the license plate. I used one of the grommets in this hole. The plastic of the fender is soft, so the drill bit goes through very rapidly. Be careful not to damage your tire!

On the inside of the fender there were two existing holes in the reinforcing rib. These proved ideal for a couple of cable ties/zap straps to attach the wiring.

Insidewiring.jpg

I found another existing hole underneath the tail light nacelle. I enlarged it with the drill, added a grommet, and viola the wiring was now under the seat. The clips holding the factory wiring are easily released and with a bit of work the additional wiring fits in there, too. In this photo the additional wiring is in the loom with the ribbed appearance.

Underseatwiring.jpg

The factory harness has this clip located on the left side. This is where you insert the harness from Admore Lighting. Once the connections are made, there's enough room to tuck everything neatly out of sight.

Connection.jpg

This is the final result. The photo was taken in bright sunlight, you can see the reflection off the 3M material on the saddlebags. The LEDs appear slightly brighter than the tail and signal bulbs in the factory light. Note there's one LED out in the top row of the brake light - hopefully Admore will replace it for me.

Finalproduct.jpg

There are links on this page to videos of the light bar in action. It's quite bright.

Everything looks well made, the fasteners are high quality, and I'm pleased with the final result. The only item still to be done is to re-attach the two round red reflectors previously on the ends of the license plate bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, missed another photo. Here's the wiring on the outside of the fender.

Outsidewiring.jpg

If there's some way to modify my original post to includes these photos, please do so and remove these additions!

For what it's worth, I recently rode a friend's bike and had an opportunity to see how the light worked while he rode my FJR.

After following my FJR for a while, I can say all the functions (tail, brake and signal lights) are as bright or slightly brighter than the stock lamps in full day light. At night time they're all noticeably brighter than the stock lights.

So don't be put off by photographs that appear to show the LED lamps aren't as bright as the stock ones. That was true of early LEDs, but it's not true of this one. From my own photographs - taken with a digital SLR - I've found the images don't accurately reflect the lamps' brightness versus incandescent lamps. No idea why though.

Anyone done the install without the harness? Being lazy, I don't want to look up the rear lighting wiring diagram to find out what wires to splice into.

Thanks.

Anyone done the install without the harness? Being lazy, I don't want to look up the rear lighting wiring diagram to find out what wires to splice into.

Thanks.
I did the admore without the harness. No problem. The instructions still tell you what to tie into. On the other hand, I still removed all the tail plastics and soldered the connections, so lazy might not be the best approach for something you don't ever want to do again.

I'm lazy, but normally solder electrical connections and use enough tape and glue to make up for my lazy tendencies.

Once I get moving I try to do everything the right way, usually overdo everything.

Just wondering which wires to be looking for in the tail section.

The Admore is nice, but I prefer something brighter. I have a Whelen StripLite, which has 96 LED's, with amber signals on each end. The middle section is brakes. It's 11.5"long, a bit longer than the Admore and the LED's are very bright even in daylight.

My recall is blue (tail light) yellow (brake) green (right turn) chocolate (left turn).
Just had a look - i think you're right. I assume black is always ground.

Time for the soldering iron.

Thanks.

I've got it snug with the bottom of the license plate so it doesn't block the plate light. I'll get a pic up when I'm done. I lke the idea of the wire loom to help protect the wire insulation, so I'm going to pick one up.

I've already got to drill a couple holes for the trailer hitch mount, so I'll do it all at once.

Just got mine installed. Here's a couple pics, don't have time to get the video up to show the blinking - but it looks really cool, the blinkers scroll from the center to the outside (the LEDs go from red to yellow when blinking). The brake light also flashes three times before staying on constant. Seems pretty bright (brighter than the stock lights).

Tail lights:

Dsc_0187.jpg

Brake Lights

Dsc_0191.jpg

Left Turn Signal

Dsc_0193.jpg

Right Turn Signal

Dsc_0195.jpg

Pretty happy all in all. Hopefully they won't be too blinding at night. I'll have to get some other opinions.

I installed the Admore kit for the E55 case and a GAlls equivalent for the TIR3 this summer. The TIR3 light is intensely bright, but I don't think it is blinding. Nice to have better visibility from behind. Your install looks great. I guess we got the wire colors right. :lol:

I put on a "back off" light that flashes several times and then stays on bright. I like it. I have gotten some positive and negetive reviews about it.

I have just installed the universal one from "Admore lighting" that goes on the hard bags. I don't know how bright they are in the daylight but I sure notice them at night for extra lighting.

I installed the Admore kit for the E55 case and a GAlls equivalent for the TIR3 this summer. The TIR3 light is intensely bright, but I don't think it is blinding. Nice to have better visibility from behind. Your install looks great. I guess we got the wire colors right. :lol:
Yeah - thanks for your help with the wire colors. I wound up using the Positaps just get it off the shelf and up and running (and confirm the wiring), but will be breaking out the soldering iron this weekend. I may actually just go ahead and build a harness for the whole deal so I can pull it out (THAT"S WHAT SHE SAID!!!) if I need to and easily reconnect the stock wiring.