AE Test Drive! I rode the '06 AE and tested the shifters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
First of all, WOW! What a treat to be offered a test ride on a 2006 FJR1300AE! Who would have expected that? Not me, but as I was sharing my riding impressions of my first 20k miles on my '05 with Pete, their Sales Manager, he asked me to ride one of the two AE models sitting on the Roseville Yamaha showroom floor. These two AE's are waiting for new owners!

I'm not exactly sure how many miles I rode the bike! I didn't pay attention to that. I did ride it for about 35 minutes, most of that was slow speed trying to get the AE shifting to mess up.

When he first offered the test ride, I was reluctant. I don't much like riding other people's bikes and although I had read extensively on all new aspects of the '06 and I know the operating instructions, I was worried that the operation would not be intuitive and therefore make it too easy to make a mistake that could end up expensive.

After some cajoling, Pete convinced me. Thanks again Pete!

Here's the AE I rode:

072206_10132.jpg

Let me tell you, when thinking about automating clutch operation, I held my nose up in the air a bit. I didn't really believe that engineers could possibly address all the issues involved with clutch operation and even had my doubts about their ability to automate some of the most basic tenets of riding a bike. I thought that either the bike would ride like a sluggish automatic transmission with plenty of slipping and errors, or that it would be so clunky that I could proudly hold my head high and state that my manual clutch usage was much, much better than the AE has to offer.

Well, The end result is this. I am impressed with the AE and I ran it through some tests that I thought it would certainly fail. It passed, and not with a 'C', but with an 'A' in almost every test! Did I like everything about it? No. There was one thing that allowed me my anticipated sneering, but that was very much shorter lived than I had expected.

Within a few short miles, my sneer became a look of pleasant surprise. More astonishing, very quickly my surprise just settled into an big enthusiastic grin as I was truly having a lot of fun! I am going to list a few of the things I wanted to test, and tell you why then report on the result.

1) I thought that taking off from a stop would result in a clunk, or delay that would be intolerable. Somewhere between stop and movement there must be the act of clutch engagement and while I knew there would be kind of feathering action, I thought it would not be easy to predict when it would happen, and therefore result in awkward starts. I was wrong. Within 15 stops and starts I had figured out how to use this bike in three different types of starting and was able to do it smoothly and predictably:

a. Slow, smooth start into a slow speed maneuvering (for stop and go traffic, parking lots, dirt shoulders etc.)

b. Normal take off, not too slow, not too fast

c. Fast take offs (get out of dodge, go have fun)

The bike performed very well in the first two categories. Getting it to take off fast takes a little more technique in terms of getting things in motion and holding it back...in short, I wouldn't drag race this bike, but when you want to move, it moves and when you are riding with care, it allows very safe operation with smoothness and ease.

2) Up shifting with normal throttle reduction between gears. I knew the AE had addressed the RPM matched to speed issues. Normal up shifting is smoother than I bother to accomplish, and when I try to match the smoothness of the AE, I'd say it takes some concentration on the task.

3) Up shifting without throttle reduction: Sometimes I leave the throttle open while shifting for fun and what amazed me is that the same smoothness achieved in normal situations was achieved by the AE when really pushing the bike. Wow even. I had a LOT of fun testing this function once, twice...okay, just one more time for three times!

4) Normal downshifting was flawless and much better than expected.

5) Spirited downshifting: This is where I expected the AE to puke all over itself. I didn't think that they would be able to accomplish entering into a turn hot, with hard downshifting. I thought it would just refuse to shift and take the easy way out making the rider handle the slow down with brakes alone. Yep, sometimes I like to have fun on the decelleration side of things and as many do, get the rear end a little squirrelly in the downshifting process. Well, the AE will downshift with you, but in a way to keep the back end planted firmly while aggressively giving you engine braking functionality. The AE really blew my mind in how well it performed in this area!

6) Down shifting for acceleration was smooth, and allowed fast open throttle downshifts that allowed very fast passing maneuvers.

What was the area that I didn't like so much? On very slow takes offs with very slowly increasing throttle, the AE programming feathers the clutch for you, but it is possible to fool it and get it to flutter a little bit. It isn't enough to throw you off your maneuvers, but it is noticeable.

All in all I have to say this test ride had a huge impact on my opinions. Before the ride I thought that I would never consider owning an AE model. Now I am considering it. I think the 06 platform provides significant advancements without sacrificing what made my 05 the best bike I ever owned. The longer wheelbase increases it's stability while not taking away anything. In fact, I thought the 06 was even more eager to get into the turns than my 05.

The 06 fairing is significantly better than the 05.

I got on my 05 and was pleased how good it felt under me, but with the knowledge that I'll most likely trade up in 07, and possibly for an AE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report O'vale.

I've been jones'n for an AE every since I heard about them. I figured they would be a hoot to ride.

Are we looking a little blue with envy? :lol2: :lol2: (photo color)

Seriously, good test drive write up. So far, I'm loving my AE.

Thanks for all that Orange. Good to actually read a report from someone who owns and rides an FJR instead of a test rider from one of the rags. How many miles did you actually put on it? I suppose after they change the faulty mpg display they can give it back to its rightful owner with 0 miles on it.....

A buddy of mine just bought one of these new bikes. I have an 05. After riding my buddies new 06 I agree with the first post. Works pretty darn good.

How many miles did you actually put on it?
2247302-plus1.gif
You forgot to mention how much you like the color. Go ahead, it's OK.

If I was offered a test ride I would have reconned my route to Reno.
Okay, I edited the report to talk about miles, although I'm not really sure how many miles I rode :rolleyes:

The silver really is nice. What I like a LOT is the color of the wheels. I think they did a great job of picking the right color, and they really got them looking shiny. I hope it's the kind of paint that'll last!

I'll add a few more tidbits: The new stock seat is much better than the old stock seat, which ain't saying much because I'd still go aftermarket.

When I put some gas in the bike (with the dealership's credit card) a gas attendant walked over to me and said, "That has got to be the coolest bike I've ever seen." I told him about the test drive deal and he asked me if I was a writer for a magazine, or something. That got me thinking, "English classes, journalism classes, less need for money and more objectivity and I could be a motorcycle journalist!"

When I returned to that same gas station on my 05, the attendant said that mine looked the same.

Sense of speed: I noticed that I didn't get the same sense of speed and acceleration on the 06 as I do on my 05. I think it was a combination of a calmer acceleration due to a lack of shifting activity, the improved fairing and a lower stance than my FJR. All these things contributed to a relaxed acceleration that consistently had me going faster than I thought I was.

I was conscious of the break in period and the fact that I was on new tires so I didn't push the bike hard at all. I found a natural tendency to let the bike go, so keeping the bike at recommended RPMs took some thinking. My recent performance award (a.k.a. ticket) helped me remember to remain mellow too :unsure:

Great report, Mr. Orange. Just picked mine up Sat. and will get some more miles on it today but just love it. OK, fess up, how many times did you hit the horn button? I don't want to say how many times I did. Must be the old age thing. I ended up, as some have posted, to shift w/ the index finger and downshift w/ the pedal. That really worked great.

Also, +1 on the journalism idea. You're on the right track.

gitterdan :beach:

Great report, Mr. Orange. Just picked mine up Sat. and will get some more miles on it today but just love it. OK, fess up, how many times did you hit the horn button? I don't want to say how many times I did. Must be the old age thing. I ended up, as some have posted, to shift w/ the index finger and downshift w/ the pedal. That really worked great.
Also, +1 on the journalism idea. You're on the right track.

gitterdan :beach:
I was briefed about the horn button ahead of time. I hit it once, realized how easy it was and switched to foot shifting. The buttons don't do it for me. I would imagine there'll be an upgrade to those to make it easier for 07, because in my mind, the positioning of the downshift button is seriosuly lacking ergonomics.

Orange,

Nice review. I've got an AE with 1500 miles on it now. I like the auto clutch more and more over time but have decided if I had it to do over again would get the clutch model. It's the slow speed clutch feathering that is not as smooth as maual. Also, has anyone noticed that the slowest one can go downhill on an AE with engine braking is 20+ mph. Seems too fast, especially on a gravel road with linked rear brakes.

Orange, were you on I- 5 in Stockton on Sunday. If you were that was me on the AE with bags coming back from Laguna Seca.

Orange,Nice review. I've got an AE with 1500 miles on it now. I like the auto clutch more and more over time but have decided if I had it to do over again would get the clutch model. It's the slow speed clutch feathering that is not as smooth as maual. Also, has anyone noticed that the slowest one can go downhill on an AE with engine braking is 20+ mph. Seems too fast, especially on a gravel road with linked rear brakes.

Orange, were you on I- 5 in Stockton on Sunday. If you were that was me on the AE with bags coming back from Laguna Seca.
Nope, not me. The bike stayed in the garage except for a quick jaunt up to the dealership for my 20k service and my AE test ride :)

Excellent write-up from OrangevaleFJR - tells me everything I need to know about the shifter.

Thanks

David

Orange,

Nice review. I've got an AE with 1500 miles on it now. I like the auto clutch more and more over time but have decided if I had it to do over again would get the clutch model. It's the slow speed clutch feathering that is not as smooth as maual. Also, has anyone noticed that the slowest one can go downhill on an AE with engine braking is 20+ mph. Seems too fast, especially on a gravel road with linked rear brakes.

Bikemonster:

I came up on Sunday from Laguna on my ST1300 (purchased in 02 before the FRJ was out) how was the heat on the new FJR, I have two friends with the old FJR and found they are no cooler than my ST. I like what Yamaha has done with the new model. Looking at replacing and not sure if I want the FJR or the BMW GT (don't like their service requirements). Sunday was HOT saw 115 on my gage when I got home in STockton.

Orange,Nice review. I've got an AE with 1500 miles on it now. I like the auto clutch more and more over time but have decided if I had it to do over again would get the clutch model. It's the slow speed clutch feathering that is not as smooth as maual. Also, has anyone noticed that the slowest one can go downhill on an AE with engine braking is 20+ mph. Seems too fast, especially on a gravel road with linked rear brakes.

Bikemonster:
I came up on Sunday from Laguna on my ST1300 (purchased in 02 before the FRJ was out) how was the heat on the new FJR, I have two friends with the old FJR and found they are no cooler than my ST. I like what Yamaha has done with the new model. Looking at replacing and not sure if I want the FJR or the BMW GT (don't like their service requirements). Sunday was HOT saw 115 on my gage when I got home in STockton.
I hadn't commented on many of the 06 upgrades because there are so many posts regarding these. However, since you asked I'll oblige. The changes Yamaha made to solve the heat problems just make sense and I can report that in practical application they work. I think the best change they made was that the FJR no longer recycles gasoline from the injectors to the gas tank. This makes a tremendous difference as in my personal opinion, the hot gas tank is the biggest heat problem with the 05 FJRs and before. In addition, I am sure the under tank venitlation and shielding make a big difference. The bottom line is that I was comfortable the entire ride and on a 110+ degree day.