Aftermarket grips, any body use 'em?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRHall

Reaction score
I bought a used 2006 FJR1300A a while back. The previous owner had a set of Kuryakyn grips on it (!). I didn't like them and removed them. The factory grips, bar ends and atachments are long gone. I put a set of Harris R1 grips on for the time being, but they are much shorter than the factory grips.

I am ordering a set of Manic Salamander bar weights, and planning to get the factory attachments for them.

Should I just get factory OEM grips, or are there any that are better? I searched and didn't find any (probably don't know what I am doing).

I also ordered the heated grip kit from Calsport touring that goes under the grips.

Thanks!

You have all kinds of options. I can tell you though, the stock grips are not very popular. HARD. I am sure there are those that like them, but I would not put those back on. Have any idea of what kind of grips you are looking for? Around here, the popular are Tacki Gran Touring grips, BMW grips, and Pro-Grip gel grips. Also, "Grip Puppies" - a cover that goes over existing grips are very popular.

Can't speak for the '06 grips, but I run BMW touring grips on my '05. I'm not enthralled, I'm not disappointed... but, I wasn't one of those who described the original grips as "torture devices", either. IIRC, Warchild gives the BMW grips rave reviews. Lots of other people like Grip Puppies, which I think slide over your original grips.

Type in "grip" in the search mode under "parts and accessories". Unless you refine the search, you'll have to weed through a bunch of semi-related stuff, but I got 7 pages of hits, several of which answer your question - and, unlike this post, often give links to vendors. Good luck.

As for me, the $7 Grip Puppies work fantastic and are very comfortable as installed over the stock grips.

I just finished putting on the BMW Sport-Grips. HUGE improvement over stock.

I put thick walled shrink tubing over the bars to insulate the grip heater elements. This created some additional effort in getting the grips on, but well worth it. The extra diameter puts the BMW's right where my big paws like it!

All the throttle hand fatigue I was getting with the stockers is gone.

I just finished putting on the BMW Sport-Grips. HUGE improvement over stock.
I put thick walled shrink tubing over the bars to insulate the grip heater elements. This created some additional effort in getting the grips on, but well worth it. The extra diameter puts the BMW's right where my big paws like it!

All the throttle hand fatigue I was getting with the stockers is gone.
Are these the same grips that come on the K1200GT?

What did you end up paying for the? My local Beemer dealer want about $50 total, does that sound right?

They had a set of Grand Touring grips there, I think they are the Tacki's. They were $12.95 a pair. The seem kind of hard.

I will look into Gel grips too.

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

Are these the same grips that come on the K1200GT?What did you end up paying for the? My local Beemer dealer want about $50 total, does that sound right?
$50?! I found 'em from several sources for $8.25/ea. Ended up buying from A&S BMW.

Left p/n: 32721458395

Right p/n: 32721458396

They're about 1/2" shorter than what I had on, so the end result aint pretty, but they sure are comfortable.

They're about 1/2" shorter than what I had on, so the end result aint pretty, but they sure are comfortable.
Perhaps you missed the article that shows you how to fix that: FJRTech: Installing the BMW Sport Grips

grip2.jpg

FINISHED.jpg

A more current photo, showing the grips in conjunction with 2nd-generation V-Strom Hand Guards. Bar end-weights received powder-coating treatment in the interim.......

ClutchSideInstalled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's some pic's of my install...........

SV400124.jpg

SV400125.jpg

The bar ends are Throttlemeisters and the spacers on the inside are MX grip "donuts".

[SIZE=8pt]Note to self: Get a better camera.[/SIZE]

Perhaps you missed the article that shows you how to fix that: FJRTech: Installing the BMW Sport Grips
Naw, I just have different bar end weights and no throttle meister. I used the inside gap to add a loop of the heated grip cables on the left handlebar. I was thinking of slicing a piece of the old grips to use as gap filler, or getting a Tech mount for the radar detector. Jury's still out on how to mount that (center is taken by the Zumo).

I like the BMW grips, may go that route.

I also looked at a set of Tacki grips at the BMW dealer. I like the barrel shape. The rubber seems pretty thick and dense, will they transfer heat from the heated panels underneath?

Also, they were closed end type. Is there any problem with simply cuting them to length to open the end?