Air Hawk Seat Cushion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrgoodie

Reaction score
I have an '06 and I am wondering if any forum members have the Air Hawk Seat Cushion? I would like to know how well it works and what would be the appropriate size for the '06 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '06 and I am wondering if any forum members have the Air Hawk Seat Cushion? I would like to know how well it works and what would be the appropriate size for the '06 FJR.
I had one and thought it was incredibly uncomfortable. I sent it back. While the idea is that it's supposed to provide even support, I found that i could never "get away" from it. So every time I shifted, it felt the same. Kind of cool for the first 150 miles and after that it made me crazy. I took it with me on a 2000 mile trip and rode all but the first 150 miles without it. So basically I hated it. YMMV.

Scooter,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes that looks like a medium. I found it for 130.00 + 17.00 shipping at derbycycles.com

fjrgoodie

Scooter,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes that looks like a medium. I found it for 130.00 + 17.00 shipping at derbycycles.com

fjrgoodie
Love mine, medium cruiser on 06, after 7000 miles I wouldn't ride without it. I followed the instuctions on low air and it works great. Stand up after a hour or so and when you sit back down it's like a new seat.

I've been using an AirHawk since the day I picked up my FJR and wouldn't ride without it. I don't know what size mine is. I bought it many years ago and have used it on various bikes since. I also put an Alaska Leather sheepskin Buttpad on top of the Airhawk and this gives me comfort equal to most custom seats I've had over the years.

Woody

I have a medium cruiser on my '05

Ran a 10,000 mile 15 day tour this year, no problems at all

Chris

The Air Hawk is well worth $130~150 bones...

Even if you have a custom seat IMHO if you want/need a change of pace now and then.

The biggest problem most people have with them is they don't understand how to use them and the don't adjust them right. They put too much air in them, or too little.

I used one last weekend on my stock 06 seat (borrowed my dad's because the one I ordered didn't come in in time).

Fill it up with air, sit on it, and let air out until you can just barely feel air moving when you move left to right, back and forth but you don't bottom out on your seat. If your arse still touches the seat you have too little, if you feel big wooshes of air when you move back and forth you have too much air and it will feel a lot like the too-soft stock seat and will create pressure points itself.

Made a HUGE improvement. Made the 700 mile trip feel like nothing on the stock seat.

No it's not a $600 custom saddle but after using it, I don't know if I need one now. Used it all the way home too. Easy on, easy off. Was dually impressed.

I had a Butt Buffer I used to through on top of the Corbin on Zed every now and again for a change of pace and that thing was no good for me. It's now on ebay if anyone wants it.

We have 2, the large for me and the medium for my wife. Definate improvment. What constantly amazes me is the # of touring motorcycles that have crappy seats. Seams like a conspiracy to me??????

Just another "yes, medium cruiser" responses.

I had one and honestly, tried a few different amounts of air in mine. I never got it right. It was always "not quite comfy". I have friends who think they are the best thing since fans in bathrooms. It just didn't work for me.

Mine works too. I will eventually get a custom seat but I could see still using it now and then. Any change is good after too long in the saddle. I can't say if it is better or worse than a sheepskin (what my buddy uses in the same way).

Renegade is spot-on, you have to inflate it correctly.

I had the same question and was lucky enough at EOM to be able to try one out. For me, this will be the solution I run with instead of purchasing a new seat. The amount of seating variables are endless with this!

My two concerns were:

1. Should I velcro this thing down because on long trips I will stand/hover at times?

2. I actually sat up a little higher (the one I used had a little too much air) and I don't know if this would be bothersome or not. I didn't use it for more then 40 miles so I need to play with one to "dial it in". I hadn't planned on risers or anything but...

1. Should I velcro this thing down because on long trips I will stand/hover at times?2. I actually sat up a little higher (the one I used had a little too much air) and I don't know if this would be bothersome or not. I didn't use it for more then 40 miles so I need to play with one to "dial it in". I hadn't planned on risers or anything but...
1) Get some thin shock cord from REI or equivalent and attach it to the Airhawk. That's what I did. Some come that way, but from which specific vendors I am not aware.

2) Definitely want to have it as low as possible without touching through.

Two thumbs up from me. I bought the med cruiser size for my '06. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I couldn't do 50 miles on the stock seat without discomfort. Now I can ride all day. :blink:

Not to be contrary, but I just bought the small cruiser instead of the medium--this is the one that Roho, the manufacturer, recommends for the FJR on their website. It is 18" x 12" instead of 14" x 14" for the medium and the more rectangular shape seems to fit the seat on my '03 better. Mine came with the cover with tie-down loops and straps to go under the seat. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Not to be contrary, but I just bought the small cruiser instead of the medium--this is the one that Roho, the manufacturer, recommends for the FJR on their website. It is 18" x 12" instead of 14" x 14" for the medium and the more rectangular shape seems to fit the seat on my '03 better. Mine came with the cover with tie-down loops and straps to go under the seat. Hope to try it out this weekend.
I don't doubt that a cruiser small would work, but the cruiser medium covers almost the entire front seat. I'd like to sit on a small sometime to compare.

I like the extra size of the Medium because I can pull the front slightly up the tank to not "throw me forward" as much.

I must have a wierd ass.

I have a Russell day long that seemed too hard for me and I'd get sore after about 3 hours on a full day of riding. So, I bought one of the air hawks (med cruiser) and it greatly improved my confort. It's not meant for the twisties, but if you're planted in one spot all day, this helps.

+1 more for Air Hawk - I have mis-aligned hip bones and standard seat all day made my back hurt - the Air-Hawk WITH the proper amount of air relieved the pain I was having - but too much air added seat height and that was not good for my short legs. But when I lowered the amount of air to "just right" then I found my comfort level. It does not replace a great custom seat but it does give you an alternate choice at a cheaper price.